Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

so i heard the bowtie there is only mounted with adhesives. Can anyone confirm this?
If so, i presume you put the black one on or painted it and put it back. Now if you did that too, how did you align it to match the original spot without holes?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
If you want to swap for a factory black one, just mark the four edges with masking tape, cut it off with fishing line or something, clean up the old adhesive and put the new one on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you do it? I figured Chevy would provide some instructions with the black one or some kind of dimensions etc.
Problem is, i want to dechrome mine and paint it body color... during that process some time might pass.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
No, haven't done it myself on a 2nd gen Cruze.
Haven't addressed the bowties on the 2017 yet, and I masked off the rear bowtie on the 2016 and had it painted on the car.
If you take it off for a while, you'll want to get a good measurement from the top of the bowtie to the top of the trunk lid if you want to put it back at the same height. Centering is easy, put it an equal distance from each side of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked it out. It seems to me it is not flat but curved in all 3 dimensions to exactly match the body lines.
Measuring won't get you far as you do not have any exact point of reference.
Masking it with tape seems to be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,885 Posts
Very easy to Plastidip the bowtie without getting overspray all over the rest of the car. And honestly, I prefer the look of the Plastidip anyway - especially on the textured Volt bowtie.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Plastidipped the wife's today. Temporary job until she decides if she wants to do an overlay, or paint it glossy to match the body color, considering I already had the plastidip already laying around, free mod, and she is liking it for now, I'll consider it a success. Looks nice with the texture of the bowtie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually I was thinking of making it like the Impalas. There is a chrome piece you can purchase off of eBay and I might buy the cruze lettering and place it on there.
Ebay link for chrome- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sedan-for-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Ebay link for Cruze emblem- https://www.ebay.com/itm/122525686883
See how the Impala has it? It had the words "Impala" on the chrome piece all spaced out. Its hard to explain but I think the cruze could look good like that. What do you guys think?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,885 Posts
I don't think it'd work real well, visually.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Given the space between the bowtie and the bottom lip of the trunk, you'd probably need to swap to a smaller bowtie, and move the bowtie further up vertically on the trunk. I like the outside of the box thinking, but my general rule of thumb is usually less is more, seems like that would make the rear end look a little too busy, but then again, I'm more of a debadge, paint to match, "chrome won't get ya home" type of guy.

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
88 Posts
I totally get what you mean, that's why I debadged the back completely and made the front bow tie completely black. I was planning just to leave the bow tie off to be honest. I wasn't gonna put it back one.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
86 Posts
****, now that you've shown me that, it makes me want to see it done. Sans bowtie, plus the fact yours is silver, I don't think it will look that bad at all, the chrome will probably compliment it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the chrome would look good but I was thinking of plastidipping the words Cruze and the chrome bar black, cause my windows, and wheels are black along with my side view mirrors. I think that would look sweet, and again no bow tie on the back, it would be too much, or if I were to do it I would probably make that all blacked out too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I am not much for silver cars, but, that is sweet. Dont know that you could go wrong with the chrome strip or blacking out the bowtie for the rear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea, being that you have an LS, and most everything else you've blacked out, on 2nd thought if probably steer clear of doing that mod. I do like the idea though. I saw this car yesterday in town, I thought about how your idea would probably suit it well, since they went with the chrome wheels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts