Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed the survey on self driving cars. I honestly hope it doesn't become a feature of all cars. I am worried.

I imagine the situation where I am "driving-ish" and a child walks out in front of me. Assume At this moment there is a person on a motorcycle behind (too close to stop) and a cars along either side of the road; basically a theoretical example of a situation that a crash cannot be avoided. will my car not stop because there is a motorcycle behind me? will my car go around the child but thereby driving me into a parked car? will it slam on my brakes anyway causing the motorcycle to hit me and the driver to be badly hurt?

and if both vehicles are self driving, who is at fault for the accident?

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Who is at fault? Easy-pezy. The motorcycle for following too close. Unless you're slamming on the brakes for the **** of it, you're not responsible for getting rear-ended. You're not responsible for how closely the guy behind you is following - that's his problem/responsibility.

Now, if your brake lights are defective - that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Oh, and as for the future of self-driving cars - well, how many people die on the road each year? How does that stack up against other threats? I think you see where this is going. Self-driving will be a matter of safety. Will there be accident caused by self-driving cars? Probably. But overall, we'll be safer without people behind the wheel.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nope.

Nope.

Uh-uh.

If I wanted to be driven, I would take the bus or light rail.

I happen to enjoy driving and riding.

Rode a V-Star 1300 the other day. My left hand and left foot that have been left out for a couple of years on my Honda still know what to do. All the "safety" that is gained? Well that sounds a whole lot like we will be eliminating "dangerous" activities like riding motorcycles/scooters

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Self driving vehicles would be great for long trips where you can even take a nap. But the only logical and safe way to accomplish this, is to put these vehicles on a track.

An overhead track would even be better with a shroud on it to protect it from the weather, off the ground, so not concerned about hitting kids. Plus a farmer could plow under this track and no salt or road construction would be necessary. Then a powered track so only a batterless high efficient motor can be used.

Speed limit? How about 450 mph or maybe faster. Sensors can be used to space the cars.

No airline delays due to weather, no long lines, and inspections, cars can be very lightweight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts