Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, it's not super annoying, but I always wanted to get to the bottom of it. Some told me it's a "signature" thing for a 2012 Cruze, meaning, just accept it, this is how the car is. This is my (the car) destiny, there is nothing I can do about it.
I changed spark plugs for years, every year (sometimes many times a year for experimenting), tried like 4 different kind of brands and materials (copper, titanium, platinum). I tried every type of gas I could find, changed filters, looked for air leaks, the whole nine yards. I still can't find the cause of the somewhat rough idle.
What I mean semi-rough, is that it's not disturbing or concerning and not always happening. But sometimes it feels its worse, other times it's almost nothing, but it's there. Today, after 30 min of driving at 65mph, came down the exit and stopped at the bottom of the ramp at the light. The car was vibrating so hard, that my phone (in the phone holder connected to the windshield with a suction cup) was like a bobbing head. I'm like WTF...the RPM is holding below somewhere 1K (AC is on) and the car is "shivering". It does not stall though...never stalled, unless I let the clutch up too fast.
I also noticed, that sometimes (not every single time) I get a hesitation during accelerating, usually between 40-60mph and the RPM is already at like 4K (6 speed manual, 1.8L). It's like a flat spot..I can apply less more gas..it feels more like a tiny stalling for a few seconds, but then it picks up a bit, then I am already shifting up to 5th or 6th and with the lower RPM there is no sign of hesitation or stalling. It's a routine thing now, so I don't really pay attention to it, just accept it, this is how it is.
Anyone experienced this? Had similar or have an idea what can it be? Again, it doesn't bother me, the car drives beautifully, both high speeds and low speeds, but the occasional hesitation and the semi-rough idle is just something that annoys me enough, especially since I couldn't find the problem.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Try giving the mass airflow sensor and throttle body a cleaning. Dead spot definitely seems like some kinda dead zone in a reading.

But a somewhat rough idle with AC on like you mentioned has always been there is fairly typical of Cruzes - or just small 4 cyl engines in general. They have fairly beefy engine mounts that do a relatively good job at keeping it from vibrating much inside the car, but it may be time to investigate those if the cleaning does not improve anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Today, after 30 min of driving at 65mph, came down the exit and stopped at the bottom of the ramp at the light. The car was vibrating so hard, that my phone (in the phone holder connected to the windshield with a suction cup) was like a bobbing head.
Does the 1.8 have a dual-mass flywheel? I'm wondering if it's stuck.

The problem with a 4cyl/4stroke engine is that there's only one 'bang' for each half turn of the crank shaft. That's a lot of vibration. The dual-mass flywheel is designed to dampen that and keep it from getting into the rest of the drivetrain. From what I understand, the dual-mass comes into play at lower RPM. Not to much at higher RPM.

·
17,488 Posts
Does the 1.8 have a dual-mass flywheel? I'm wondering if it's stuck.

The problem with a 4cyl/4stroke engine is that there's only one 'bang' for each half turn of the crank shaft. That's a lot of vibration. The dual-mass flywheel is designed to dampen that and keep it from getting into the rest of the drivetrain. From what I understand, the dual-mass comes into play at lower RPM. Not to much at higher RPM.
Yes, and that is EXACTLY what happened to mine when it failed quite spectacularly. Whole freaking car was shaking, and shook everything in the transmission path apart (TOB, transmission input shaft bearing, etc).

OP, does it rattle/knock like so?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYkN_ezqAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQjZWAEkng

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think the video is an example of a dual-mass where the springs are broken and dual-mass is slamming against the stops. OP's might be where it "sticks" and becomes single-mass. Somewhat different failure mode.

·
17,488 Posts
They weren't broken; it'd idle fine most of the time. Occasionally it would get itself stuck and make those kinds of noises and/or shake the entire car at idle. It became more and more frequent, but would then go back to being "normal" whenever I'd try to duplicate it for a tech.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, and as I read between the lines, I can try some home remedies for it, (cleaning the MAF and the intake), but beyond that I either drop a bucket load of money, because I am too old to rip the clutch apart. (old: 42 )
Not that I couldn't, but I rather save some money and have someone go for it (it's not an easy task despite 300 million mechanics to choose from) >
I had about 12 cars in my life and I learned my lesson, not to dig too deep, otherwise I'll be making a lot of new problems on my way of digging.
Every single car I have owned had something that wasn't completely satisfactory, even cars with barely any miles in them. Every time I dived under the hood to find out what's up, I wasted days and weeks and 100 dollar fix became 400 my hands were killing me, had to buy tools I'd never use again..and so on.
I'll try a few more things with it, but I may waive goodbye soon to this machinery, it has already done far more than I expected from it.

·
17,488 Posts
Thanks for the replies, and as I read between the lines, I can try some home remedies for it, (cleaning the MAF and the intake), but beyond that I either drop a bucket load of money, because I am too old to rip the clutch apart. (old: 42 )
Not that I couldn't, but I rather save some money and have someone go for it (it's not an easy task despite 300 million mechanics to choose from) >
I had about 12 cars in my life and I learned my lesson, not to dig too deep, otherwise I'll be making a lot of new problems on my way of digging.
Every single car I have owned had something that wasn't completely satisfactory, even cars with barely any miles in them. Every time I dived under the hood to find out what's up, I wasted days and weeks and 100 dollar fix became 400 my hands were killing me, had to buy tools I'd never use again..and so on.
I'll try a few more things with it, but I may waive goodbye soon to this machinery, it has already done far more than I expected from it.
Flywheel should be fairly easy to diagnose; if it vibrates like crazy again, give it a slight prod of the gas and listen for knocking. It's something you'd absolutely notice if it was doing. But give the other theory a go and see if anything happens. I've seen a few hard idle situations cleared up by a good throttle body plate cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.