Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a huge fan of the clutch and brake fluid sharing the same tank. If one system were to become compromised it could directly affect the other, make trouble shooting in the future more difficult, and well I just don't care for it to much. Giving each their own tank would be pretty strait forward but I want to make sure I'm not ignorant of greater purpose. I couldn't see their being any reason other than cost effectiveness, but again just being cautious. Has anyone done this or know of a greater reason why GM did this?

·
2,168 Posts
It saves money. That's the answer to every question that follows this format "Why did X corporation decide to X?"

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I agree with you. A brake or clutch line failure causing loss of fluid affects the other system. Definitely a bad design from a safety standpoint.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
I agree with you. A brake or clutch line failure causing loss of fluid affects the other system. Definitely a bad design from a safety standpoint.
And that is why we have regulations to protect the greater good from corporate greed.

I'm guessing there's been no NHTSA complaints regarding this design - yet.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bingo.
This is pretty high up on my list of more invasive projects. I plan to keep modding to a minimum but this isn't something for a performance, visual, or luxury gain. I would want to use GM parts. Ideally I want to leave the existing tank alone and cap the clutch line. For the other tank I would really like to use the same thing from capacity and visual standpoint, but that's one more spot for a potential leak.

If I were to replace the existing tank I would assume it should swap with mine pretty easily, using it for both that would be two less places to leak from.

Edit- I just went out and took another good look, I was picturing it more like the Alero after seeing it for so many years. Using a different tank entirely would be the way to go. I know from experience the one used for the getrag 5sp's (alero, grandam, sunfire...) is difficult to come by and expensive. It would be just about perfect for this though. Anyone know of other GM clutch fluid tanks that might be suitable?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Didn't Honda or Toyota start that a long time ago? It seems to have worked out for them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The system is designed, so that a leak in the system won't take out the entire braking system. It is highly unlike that you'd have an issue, but I understand what you're saying. You can get a generic remote clutch reservoir from a company like Tilton, or one for a 98-02 GM F body, modern corvette, etc. They all have separate reservoirs that mount to the firewall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts