Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 LT RS Sedan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
His bulbs sit so far into the housing that on the one side, that is the way you'd have to position the bulb, before rotating...which, clearly, is impossible.
Ohhhh.

Does that have a collar adjustment? May be able to rotate so the fan end can enter at ~7:00 position and then rotate clockwise; I notice more room on that 6-11:00 area.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,776 Posts
Ohhhh.

Does that have a collar adjustment? May be able to rotate so the fan end can enter at ~7:00 position and then rotate clockwise; I notice more room on that 6-11:00 area.
Yeah, but with the collar, it needs to be adjusted so the bulb sits with the LED elements at 3 and 9 o'clock. If the housing's lock ring allowed for a CCW turn to lock instead of CW, then it would be similar to the other side (where I had to clearance the housing, but they did eventually sit), but that's not the case.

He ended up sending the bulbs back for a refund - we might try something different, or maybe not.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Here’s a real cutoff. If it doesn’t look like this you have no business with LEDs or HIDs.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Here’s a real cutoff. If it doesn’t look like this you have no business with LEDs or HIDs.

View attachment 290294
This. The money is worth it for that cutoff, so you don't blind the rest of humanity.

I love having that sharp of a cutoff on the Cruze now (along with lights that actually do something). The Volt's isn't as sharp (since it is OE - and the American consumer seems to prefer a little bit of a softer cutoff, per my buddy in automotive forward lighting), but it's still there, so the extremely bright LED headlamps do their job without causing issues for oncoming.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I purchased SL1 9005 bulbs for the projectors in my '17 LT RS sedan because of the numerous claims on CruzeTalk forum/Facebook saying it was a troube-free install and big upgrade over the stock halogens. However, the bulb socket mount/housing in the projectors are held together by three Phillips screws which block the SL1s. No matter how hard I push, the three locking tabs on the SL1 are not able to rotate into the mount because the three screws are in the way.

If I remove two of the screws, the SL1s are able to fit inside the socket and rotate to the locked position, but this setup is a little wobbly and you can see one side of the SL1 gets raised by the remaining screw head.
View attachment 290241
(two screws removed, and the resulting gap in the bulb socket mount leading to wobble. Driver side)
View attachment 290240
(sketchy install with single remaining Phillips screw leaving a crooked SL1 bulb. Passenger side)

Diode Dynamics also mentions rotating the bulb collar for some vehicles; this will not help here because the protruding screw heads will still prevent the tabs from pushing deep enough to be rotated into position...

It seems that some GM truck and Subaru owners also have the same fitment problems and needed to return the SL1s
🙁
https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/diode-dynamics-sl1-high-beams-2015-models-and-sl1-quality-engineering-generally.175769/\
On this Colorado forum, the Diode Dynamics representative mentions they are "working on future revisions to make it work, but the screw is in the way with the current model." https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/diode-dynamics-sl1-low-beam-leds-h11.375937/page-4

Wondering how anyone else with the projector headlights was able to install these "trouble-free"? I am thinking of securing the metal bulb housing with superglue so the three Phillips can be removed without making the assembly wobbly, and the SL1s can mount flat.
Thanks!
Here’s a picture

21 - 35 of 35 Posts