Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Serpentine Belt, tensioner

503 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  12ecofamilycar
Hello:

My 2012 Cruze 1.4L, 2LT needs a new serpentine belt and tensioner.

At first, I thought I needed a new battery, which I had installed a couple of weeks ago. However, the alternator isn't charging the battery, given that the battery voltage decreases during short or long trips. During a recent trip 26 minute trip the battery voltage started at 14.7 & ended at 13.8. The engine's idling is rough.

Using a selfie stick, my daughter took static photos & dynamic videos of the car's engine. The serpentine belt was quite frayed. The belt was half as wide as a new serpentine belt.

If the serpentine belt and tensioner doesn't fix the problem, then the alternator may be the culprit. Also, I should check wiring & hose connections. The fuse box could provide useful information, as well.

I've watched a lot of videos about installation, which doesn't look terribly difficult, except for loosening the entire engine. I have reservations about jacking up the car.

I've done short household fixes on my HVAC condensate pump, faucet washers, dryer idler belt & drum rollers, & washer drain pumps.

Anyway, none of my previous house repairs involved using a car jack. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
152 Posts
Hello:

My 2012 Cruze 1.4L, 2LT needs a new serpentine belt and tensioner.

At first, I thought I needed a new battery, which I had installed a couple of weeks ago. However, the alternator isn't charging the battery, given that the battery voltage decreases during short or long trips. During a recent trip 26 minute trip the battery voltage started at 14.7 & ended at 13.8. The engine's idling is rough.

Using a selfie stick, my daughter took static photos & dynamic videos of the car's engine. The serpentine belt was quite frayed. The belt was half as wide as a new serpentine belt.

If the serpentine belt and tensioner doesn't fix the problem, then the alternator may be the culprit. Also, I should check wiring & hose connections. The fuse box could provide useful information, as well.

I've watched a lot of videos about installation, which doesn't look terribly difficult, except for loosening the entire engine. I have reservations about jacking up the car.

I've done short household fixes on my HVAC condensate pump, faucet washers, dryer idler belt & drum rollers, & washer drain pumps.

Anyway, none of my previous house repairs involved using a car jack. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Hi, I did the serp belt and tensioner repair recently for the first time and it was very straight forward.
The only jack use is to support the engine and lift it only enough to take pressure off the motor mount, like 1/2 inch or less. You can use the jack from the trunk with a small piece of plywood between the jack and the engine oil pan.
All work is done from above. Breaker bar is good for leverage when compressing the tensioner spring. Set of socket extensions will help, couple bolts are not visible but are accessabe. Torque wrench is a good idea no matter what car repair you tackle. I get by with 3/8 and 1/4 inch tools with adaptors. All my latest Cruze fixing tools are Harbor Freight including torque wrenches. Use only GM Genuine parts, Amazon or Rockauto. I know there are other excellent part brands but I keep it easy.
Good luck. Dave
Also say hi on the new member thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts