Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me. So my battery died 2 days ago after 5 years. So it’s about time I replaced it but now I’m having weird issues. I was driving at a low speed on the street when I felt like I accidentally knocked my car into neutral cause I kind of lost my ability to accelerate (it was not in neutral) and then the Open & Close driver window error came on at the same time. Luckily I was able to pull over and completely stop my car cause I was the only one on the street. This happened twice and the second time I also got an error that said “Service Airbag”. Was it the battery dying that is making my car go wacky? Anyone have any ideas? Please help.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Sounds like it could be the negative ground cable.

Could you disclose the model, model year, and current odometer reading of your vehicle?

Reactions: JazminC

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me. So my battery died 2 days ago after 5 years. So it’s about time I replaced it but now I’m having weird issues. I was driving at a low speed on the street when I felt like I accidentally knocked my car into neutral cause I kind of lost my ability to accelerate (it was not in neutral) and then the Open & Close driver window error came on at the same time. Luckily I was able to pull over and completely stop my car cause I was the only one on the street. This happened twice and the second time I also got an error that said “Service Airbag”. Was it the battery dying that is making my car go wacky? Anyone have any ideas? Please help.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

[h=1]Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable[/h]
Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, while your alternator should provide nearly all the current needed to run the car with the engine on, a battery with a bad cell that can't maintain voltage can cause a lot of electrical gremlins. When the battery on my '14 diesel started to die it had some odd shifting problems, for example.

The negative battery cable mentioned could also cause a lot of similar problems if the electronic components of the car can't get adequate current and voltage drops. At five years old the original equipment manufactured (OEM) battery is likely nearing the end of it's useful service life but you could take it to an auto part store that offers free charging and testing and see what they say. If you haven't changed it the negative battery cable is so common it's probably go to do anyway as preventative maintenance.

EDIT: Looks like you added more info while I was typing. I'll leave my original reply as it might help someone else.

If you replaced the battery it might have pulled and stretched the negative battery cable so it could be indirectly related. Also make sure the terminals are clean and properly tightened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts