Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while driving into work my service airbag light came on and gave me a message also in the DIC. Isn't that just my luck! Once when the car was new this issue was addressed while it was still under factory warranty. It is 3 years down the road now, this winter will be 4, and a 113,500 miles on the clock. My extended warranty expired at 107,000 miles. I am bringing the car into the dealership for its next oil change on Tuesday. At that time they're going to diagnose the airbag issue. They charge $109.00 for the diagnostic but that gets wiped out if you get the service issue repaired there. I can hardly wait to see what this is going to cost me.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK just got the update from the dealership. It's the knee bolster airbag that has gone bad. I can't understand how a 3yr old car can have an airbag go bad? The repair bill on this is going to be $989.00 just for the airbag!

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
OUCH! Makes that $1,000 extended warranty I purchased sound like a good deal now.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
How many hours does the dealer estimate to replace the airbag ?
Have you accomplished any automechanical projects lately ?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brian the new airbag is $989.00 for the part itself plus 1hr labor. Anyway I just got an update from the dealer. Turns out it was the electrical connector at the air bag that was bad. Not the airbag itself. When he hooked up a set of jumper wires the airbag and all the codes went back to normal. They had to fix the wiring harness. My bill is going to be around $300 with the oil change instead of $1,000 without the oil change.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
That's Nice to read that a Tech was able to detect a wiring fault and not an airbag failt ..

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Another example of how going to the dealer saves money.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another example of how going to the dealer saves money.
As we all know not really Tomko. I knew you were being sarcastic and funny. Something like this though I didn't want to take it to my local mechanic. Turns out also that the OBDII port was also dead and they were getting no results when they plugged into it. Also the dealership repairs are warranteed for 1yr/12000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
To be honest with you I wasn't being sarcastic.

I have seen people take their car to Joe's garage or wherever to have it hacked at by someone unskilled at its repair, racking up costs and throwing parts at it in a vain effort to repair it.

Then when it's still not repaired they're sent to the dealer. Who identifies a TSB and repairs the root cause for $100 or so.

I always go to the dealer. With the exception of things like tires and alignment.

In your case a Joe's garage may have replaced the air bag but not identified the root cause of the connector. You would have paid but still not had a repair.

There are great independents out there. But in my community of over one million I only know of two that I would refer people to.

·
Administrator
25,161 Posts

I have seen people take their car to Joe's garage or wherever to have it hacked at by someone unskilled at its repair, racking up costs and throwing parts at it in a vain effort to repair it.

Then when it's still not repaired they're sent to the dealer. Who identifies a TSB and repairs the root cause for $100 or so.

I always go to the dealer. With the exception of things like tires and alignment.

In your case a Joe's garage may have replaced the air bag but not identified the root cause of the connector. You would have paid but still not had a repair.

There are great independents out there. But in my community of over one million I only know of two that I would refer people to.
Been there done this. When I met my wife she had a Pontiac Sunbird (mid 1980s version) that had a recurring head gasket warping problem. It had only been going to a shade tree mechanic for repair and it was on it's third head gasket. One trip to a good Pontiac dealer and they figured out the water pump was bad, replaced that, and wola, no more warped head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies Tomko. I truly thought you were being sarcastic and funny. I stand corrected. A lot of us including me have an aversion about going to the dealership for obvious reasons.

·
Administrator
25,161 Posts
My apologies Tomko. I truly thought you were being sarcastic and funny. I stand corrected. A lot of us including me have an aversion about going to the dealership for obvious reasons.
This is why finding and getting to know a good service department is critical.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Also the dealership repairs are warranteed for 1yr/12000 miles.
I'm not sure they are unless it is a New York law? While certain or "many" GM PAID repairs which use GM parts are warranted for a lifetime starting after 1/1/13, www.Chevrolet.com/certified-service/auto-parts-repair-services/warranty.html, Labor is not included. All repairs (parts & accessories along with labor) provided by my Arizona GM Dealers and I looked up California law as well are provided AS-IS, which is news to me at least for California. I'd scan it in but this is verbatim from my R.O. I'm looking at?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure they are unless it is a New York law? While certain or "many" GM PAID repairs which use GM parts are warranted for a lifetime starting after 1/1/13, www.Chevrolet.com/certified-service/auto-parts-repair-services/warranty.html, Labor is not included. All repairs (parts & accessories along with labor) provided by my Arizona GM Dealers and I looked up California law as well are provided AS-IS, which is news to me at least for California. I'd scan it in but this is verbatim from my R.O. I'm looking at?
Eddy this is dealership specific. If you buy a car from their GM dealerships.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I first found out about this at an Oil Change place, then I started seeing it on Dealer Repair orders. I then looked up the law. Its not Dealer specific or Dealer choice. Even the fine print in the Lifetime G.M. parts page makes you scratch your head? Everybody, post the bottom of a Dealer R.O. As I mentioned this could be different for your State .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the bottom of my invoice.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've also come around to Tomko's line of thinking. Just do business with the devil and find the best GM shop in your area. I've tried GoodYear and AC Delco shops before, and they can't do the depth of diagnositics needed. Wheel bearings, replace a window regulator - OK I may use the outside garages... but anything involving the engine/emissions/electronic/HVAC it goes to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've also come around to Tomko's line of thinking. Just do business with the devil and find the best GM shop in your area. I've tried GoodYear and AC Delco shops before, and they can't do the depth of diagnositics needed. Wheel bearings, replace a window regulator - OK I may use the outside garages... but anything involving the engine/emissions/electronic/HVAC it goes to the dealer.
Zenturi when it comes to major repairs requiring in-depth diagnosis I definitely go to the dealer. Oil changes, brakes, tires and such go to my local mechanic.

·
Administrator
25,161 Posts
Zenturi when it comes to major repairs requiring in-depth diagnosis I definitely go to the dealer. Oil changes, brakes, tires and such go to my local mechanic.
I go to the dealer for oil changes and brakes. Tires I do at Discount Tire. The reason I take my car to the dealership for the simple stuff is I get a chance to talk to the service advisers and some of the techs so when I do need something more complex fixed there is a person to go with the car. Relationship building creates better service as a general rule. Also, I've had too many problems at non-dealership places for items such as brakes. Oil changes are pretty simple but my dealership is cost competitive with everyone else.

·
Premium Member
7,875 Posts
I go to the dealer for oil changes and brakes. Tires I do at Discount Tire. The reason I take my car to the dealership for the simple stuff is I get a chance to talk to the service advisers and some of the techs so when I do need something more complex fixed there is a person to go with the car. Relationship building creates better service as a general rule. Also, I've had too many problems at non-dealership places for items such as brakes. Oil changes are pretty simple but my dealership is cost competitive with everyone else.
I like the idea, but I'd rather run a better oil than dealer oil in my car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts