Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
I don't push the oil life. It gets changed every 5,000 miles (basically every 3 and a half months).

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My dealership is also very competitive with oil change prices and carries Mobil 1. I always go for the full synthetic and go no more than 20% on the DIC which is 8000 miles. 90% of my commute is highway in 6th gear at 70mph at 2100rpms.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
That's Nice to know that we get the ability to choose when we would like to change the earl in our vehichles when we think that ITshould be exchanged for a chance to be doing something with our rudamentory lives .

Added babble just because I can .

I do like that thread X ...Andrei ...Posted about adding an additional oil filter that runs off of the oil pressure Sensor or thereabouts ..

Have you guys ever looked into Redline products ?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have Redline in my Suzuki Marauder 1600. I am Not sure if there are any advantages to using that oil vs. anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A newbie to the forum, so bear with me. Have a 2012 Cruze with 39,000 miles. Service Airbag light came on today, but didn't stay on. Coincidentally, was taking the car to the service dept for another reason so they ran diagnostics for the airbag light, too. They didn't tell me what the exact codes were or even if the problem was with the airbag or harness; however, but they were happy to tell me a new airbag would be $400 plus labor. A very vague explanation, imo. Told them I was gonna need a little more info than that before I agreed to the repairs! So my question is, shouldn't the dealer be able to tell me exactly what/where the problem is after running the diagnostics? Couldn't it be something as simple as a bad sensor? They said they would have to pull the cover off the driver seat (which is leather) to get a better idea of just what the problem is. Little nervous about that too. Any suggestions on the questions I should be asking the service department? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would have them explore a little farther before they sell you an air bag. Ask them to specifically check the harness connections before they just assume then it would be the airbag that is bad. Very seldom do you ever hear of airbags going bad on a four year old car. I have a 2002 Suburban that is now 14 years old and there are no problems with any air bags or airbag lights.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Have you guys ever looked into Redline products ?
I used redline in my supra diff and manual 6. it really helped and smoothed out the lsd grab. i love there shockproof gear oil

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
A newbie to the forum, so bear with me. Have a 2012 Cruze with 39,000 miles. Service Airbag light came on today, but didn't stay on. Coincidentally, was taking the car to the service dept for another reason so they ran diagnostics for the airbag light, too. They didn't tell me what the exact codes were or even if the problem was with the airbag or harness; however, but they were happy to tell me a new airbag would be $400 plus labor. A very vague explanation, imo. Told them I was gonna need a little more info than that before I agreed to the repairs! So my question is, shouldn't the dealer be able to tell me exactly what/where the problem is after running the diagnostics? Couldn't it be something as simple as a bad sensor? They said they would have to pull the cover off the driver seat (which is leather) to get a better idea of just what the problem is. Little nervous about that too. Any suggestions on the questions I should be asking the service department? Thanks!
There are many sensors that can trigger the light......some outside the car, one under each seat, one in each seat belt latch......anyways, the bag itself is the least likely failure.
The airbag system has no memory so it cannot be diagnosed unless the lamp is on.......in your case, the system saw something that was out of range and later, the system was satisfied all is well and the warning was cancelled.

If it illuminates again and stays on with every restart (system performs a self test with each restart) then the dealer can accurately diagnose the failed component.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have a hard time believing the air bag itself is actually bad too. Do you know if the airbag will deploy if the service light remains on? Wondering if it's safe to drive before repairs are done (if needed).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have a hard time believing the air bag itself is actually bad too. Do you know if the airbag will deploy if the service light remains on? Wondering if it's safe to drive before repairs are done (if needed).

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
The airbags are disabled any time the lamp is on.......it is telling you they are disabled.

Tongue in cheek response....but I gotta say it: It is safe to drive with the light on.......I would avoid crashing though.....but I never have considered it safe to crash.

Sorry.....had to throw a bit of levity into the post,

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Wondering if it's safe to drive before repairs are done (if needed).
No worse than a older car that doesn't have airbags.

As for what happens in a accident, I'd expect the system to do the best it can, even if the light is lit. If the problem is a sensor, then it's possible that none would deploy. If the problem is a particular airbag, then I'd expect the rest to continue to function. But I'm not sure how it's programmed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine is now having the airbag light and service airbag DIC message. It only came on once a few days ago but I'm worried about it. Has there been a lot of these go bad on the Cruze?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I checked the seat connectors and the connector under the passenger airbag sill plate and they are completely fastened correctly. I don't know what else to do. The light randomly comes on when I start the car and then goes out as I'm driving.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I went out and bought the $50 WalMart Bluetooth scanner. Code shows as "Driver seat side air bag deployment loop - High resistance B0014-0D" - Has anyone seen that? I'm reading it's the connector?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Traced it down now to show loop 9 resistance at 3.4 Ohms. I bet it hits 3.5 occasionally which is setting off the light. Its description is Drivers Side Airbag. It's not the steering wheel.Not sure which airbag it is though, but I suspect the one in the seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Traced it down now to show loop 9 resistance at 3.4 Ohms. I bet it hits 3.5 occasionally which is setting off the light. Its description is Drivers Side Airbag. It's not the steering wheel.Not sure which airbag it is though, but I suspect the one in the seat.
Did you check the Drivers seat airbag connector for corrosion or the wiring.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another quick update. Took it to a local shop that charged me $100 diagnostic fee to tell me nothing is wrong after telling me over the phone they were capable of diagnosing this stuff. They said the under seat connector is fine but they did put some dialectic grease on it. However, I did check the resistance again and it has returned to normal at around 2.2 Ohms. It was fluctuating between 2.9-3.4 Ohms when I looked at it before. Maybe their poking and prodding at it pushed pins back in line that were not making good contact before (I tried that and it didn't help).

I guess I feel ripped off but the fact that the resistance is back to normal makes me feel a little better. I suppose if it doesn't come back on then it's technically fixed. Maybe the techs did something that the person running the counter didn't tell me about. Only time will tell, it's been coming on enough that within a few weeks I should know if it's actually fixed or not.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts