Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inhave been reading in this forum like crazy!! And thanks to all of u i have fix 7 problems on my 11 cruze rs but this on is giving me a headache and i have to ask !!!

Service charging system

I just bought a new battery current sensor new battery and 15k alternator year 14 and is still doing the same thing what else do i have to change????

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Negative battery cable in accordance with the TSB.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just a thought, but doing the big 3 upgrade would also be a good idea. By doing that would it matter if the special coverage was done or not?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
The Big 3 upgrade bypasses the Negative Battery Cable, so they are effectively the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just test your cable. As you know the bigger the cable the higher current capacity. The more current that flows through a cable the more resistance it generates. If you have a bad connection corroded strands etc., it is essential like the cable if undersized and generate a much higher resistance. To test the cable you can check the resistance or simply put it under a load. Measure dc voltage from one end to the next. If you have voltage more than a few mV you have a problem. To be precise you can calculate the current flow and capabilities of the cable but we will not get into that. Just turn the lights on for a few minutes to drain the battery some. Check voltage between neg battery term to the engine and chassis. Then start the engine and check again. Also check chassis to engine to check the ground on the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
To the OP,
A service bulletin was created due to the fact many negative battery cables were incorrectly manufactured.
The crimp joint where the cable is inserted into the terminal was compromised during manufacture and over time, resistance builds up making all sorts of electrical mayhem.

The cable should be replaced "warranty" before any troubleshooting takes place.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the OP,
A service bulletin was created due to the fact many negative battery cables were incorrectly manufactured.
The crimp joint where the cable is inserted into the terminal was compromised during manufacture and over time, resistance builds up making all sorts of electrical mayhem.

The cable should be replaced "warranty" before any troubleshooting takes place.

Rob

I dont really think is the cable but i will replace it any way !!! But not for the one that gms sells am going to buy another one !!!! 0 awg something like that !!!!!! I will keep update it the cruze are a headache for real :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I dont really think is the cable but i will replace it any way !!! But not for the one that gms sells am going to buy another one !!!! 0 awg something like that !!!!!! I will keep update it the cruze are a headache for real :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Why the attitude towards GM? They have fixed this cable - get the new cable from them for free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont really think is the cable but i will replace it any way !!! But not for the one that gms sells am going to buy another one !!!! 0 awg something like that !!!!!! I will keep update it the cruze are a headache for real
Why the attitude towards GM? They have fixed this cable - get the new cable from them for free.

My cars has 151k is not covered !!! Because it is reslly hard for me to inderstand how u can have a bad negative cable :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: dont get me wrong i love gm but this thing with negative cable i just dont get it !!!

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Well, at 151k I understand why no freebe.
The warranty was extended to 120k memory serves.

But at your current mileage, the potential for lots of nickle and dime (or dollars) failures is pretty much a guarantee......machines are machines and every mile traveled is one less it has to give.

So, regardless of expense, do the cable since it was a known weak spot and see what happens from there.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
My cars has 151k is not covered !!! Because it is reslly hard for me to inderstand how u can have a bad negative cable :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: dont get me wrong i love gm but this thing with negative cable i just dont get it !!!
In this case it's definitely out of the extended warranty on the cable. I think I'd still purchase the redesigned cable and install it. The fact that GM extended the warranty on this cable screams supplier error.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, at 151k I understand why no freebe.
The warranty was extended to 120k memory serves.

But at your current mileage, the potential for lots of nickle and dime (or dollars) failures is pretty much a guarantee......machines are machines and every mile traveled is one less it has to give.

So, regardless of expense, do the cable since it was a known weak spot and see what happens from there.

Rob

Now i did a test deive when i stop at a light with fog hid and a/c on it drops to 11.5 when i drives it goes back to 12.5

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Now i did a test deive when i stop at a light with fog hid and a/c on it drops to 11.5 when i drives it goes back to 12.5
It's possible the alternator can't create enough amps at low RPM. If it drops to 11.5 only momentary, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's possible the alternator can't create enough amps at low RPM. If it drops to 11.5 only momentary, I wouldn't worry about it.

Am really used to the 14v flat of my envoy to be honest i put a 2014 buick encore alternator !!! But i notice something when i spin the pulley the inside seems like not straight shaft !!! It feels like the fan clutch !!! 2014 with 14k miles

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
To the OP:

It's sounding more and more like you don't fully understand the car and are simply throwing parts at it.

I know that you don't like going to the dealer - but this may be one of those times when paying for someone qualified to work on your car may save you money.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,216 Posts
Am really used to the 14v flat of my envoy to be honest i put a 2014 buick encore alternator !!! But i notice something when i spin the pulley the inside seems like not straight shaft !!! It feels like the fan clutch !!! 2014 with 14k miles
Yes. The alternator is clutched. It cuts off during acceleration and other scenarios when extra power is not needed or will save fuel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts