Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

About a month ago our check engine light came on, followed by a Service ESP and Service Traction Control warning signs on our dashboard. It wasn't too long after that we heard this hissing high pitched sound coming from the engine. We took it to Tire Kingdom and a good friend mechanic of mine helped me out and what he thought would fix the issue did not.

About 2 weeks ago, we took our Chevy Cruze 2011 LS to a nearby Chevy dealership here in Tampa. They ran a series of diagnostics and found many codes and we were advised that the negative cable needed to be changed because it is causing the codes, and the computer needed to be re-programmed. I asked the service person over there to confirm if the hissing high pitched sound would go away, along with the service ESP and traction control warnings and they said, it might go away. We proceeded with the repair, unfortunately the issue is still there, the sound, the once in a while slight jerking of the car during idle, and the warning lights on the dashboard. After paying and before leaving, they said they suspect it could be a vacuum leak and the valve cover needed to be replaced.

At that point I didn't believe these guys anymore, I felt like they took advantage of me instead of telling me in the first place what was wrong with the car, but instead they insisted that the negative cable needed to be replaced. Now I am at a point where the sound coming from the engine is unbearable and I want it fix. After hours of research online and listening to my car, and looking over the diagnostic reports which included in there that there's a vacuum leak and they wrote down on the report that the valve cover needed to be replaced, does anyone have the same experience? Any advice helps. Thanks!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Negative battery cable a major problem, so is your CEL off now?

If hearing a vacuum hiss, can isolate it with a rubber heater hose used as a stethoscope. Camshaft cover is also a common problem, can find the complete kit on ebay for less than 50 bucks, but also covered under the 5 year/100K mile PT warranty.

Plastic PCV hose is also a problem, runs clear down from the intake manifold port to the inlet of the turbo.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The hissing sound is likely a vacuum leak somewhere. The negative cable is a common problem causing various lights, so I don't think they did you any major disservice in changing it, even if it wasn't THE problem.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The LS is not known for vacuum leaks and the cam cover business only applies to the 1.4t engine.

The battery cable replacement was supposed to be free.....the warranty was extended to ten years/150k miles......so, if you are under the mileage limit, ask for your money back.

Once you have done the money thing, get out of that dealer and find another......If these guys can't read a warranty printout they sure can't read a service manual.

Give another dealer a shot at resolving the noise.......although it sounds like a vacuum leak, you have not provided any codes if present.
There have been a few A/C compressors that had a bearing fail and made a sound like a vacuum loss.

You may find the volume changes, A/C on/ A/C off........ultimately the engine must be run with the belts off to pinpoint engine noise or accessory noise.

Keep in touch.........Negative battery cable warranty extension 'Special coverage # 14311' btw.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts