Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my 2013 cruze today and power steering did not work at all. And a service power steering message was displayed in the dash. I only had the car off for about 5 minuets and it was working properly when I stopped. I shut it back down and restarted and the message was still there. No power steering still..I drove about 1km home tried restarting a couple more times and it still did not start. Got my little guy in the house a couple hours later went back out to check it out it started with no message all worked properly. Checked main power wiring to motor cables are all good. Could this have been a glitch?
And would anyone have schematic or wiring for steering control system? So if happens again I can verify wiring is good.

i have never experienced the sticking while on highway

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
How old is the battery? Strange things can happen when the battery reaches end-of-life. The battery ground cable is a known issue. I've seen the message if the driver's door is open when I connect the battery.

Bottom line, I'd about bet money the problem is electric power - not the power steering unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is original 195km on both 2013 model year I will load test. BATtery today but started fine no other issue s I checked all cables nothing loose or chaffed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Light came back on a few times sense last week. This morning came in and after setting all day has not gone out. Does anyone have any literature on this? I checked ground cable seems to be getting good power and ground to motor. Battery load tests perfect

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Your factory battery has served you well for 5-6 years. Many here have reported 3-4 year original battery life. It’s likely done.

Why not replace it first before assuming the power steering is actually the problem?

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you leave your driver's door open or closed when you start your car? The reason I ask is that I discovered (at least on my car) if the driver's door is open when I connect the battery, I'll have a power steering fault. If the door is closed, all is good. I'm thinking that starting the car with an aging battery might be similar to connecting the battery. Also, avoid moving the steering wheel for a few seconds after starting the car. I notice with the Cruze that is seems to take a few seconds after the car starts before the charging system activates. Asking the power steering to do anything before the battery starts it's recovery might be an issue.

The power steering unit is very reliable. You'll have to search the forum to be sure, but I don't know as we've ever had anyone report that they had to have the unit repaired or replaced. But it is power-hungry. Easily the most power-intensive thing in the car except maybe for the starter. You will get a light if the power is not up to snuff.

There have been folks who've reported random electrical issues that all magically went away when an older battery was changed.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand battery might require replacement but it’s only happened after shutting the car off for a minute maybe.
I load tested my battery with a wel know tester we use daily in our shop,
Also I disconnected power to motor to find this. A lot of water in connector. Possibly could have gotten inside and shorted

Also I believe the door was closed 2 of three times this has happene also it had not recovered yet this time around will be stopping. By dealer tomorrow to have codes pulled also will load test battery again. Before I replace steering control module/ motor I will try a new battery

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That connector having moisture intrusion like that is a huge issue. If there's water there, it's likely wicked into the motor assembly and/or up into the harness. You need to clean that out, determine how it got in and resolve that issue. It's possible doing that may solve the problem, but that motor is definitely gonna experience a shortened life now

Under what conditions did you perform the voltage drop test?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already cleaned the connector. I’m pretty sure at this point the moisture has already wicked into the module. Like stated earlier I am going to go to dealer to have codes pulled to help verify weather or not I should replace the module, I believe the seals on the connector most likely have failed I will be replacing connector body seals , and terminals upon installation of a new module.
I work on truck electrical issues daily. I am not sure how the water got in there most likely a failed seal. I can not imagine it wicking from the ground that is attached to the strut tower. That has no sealant over it. Seems like a pretty protected area and no signs of excess corrosion

Voltage drop was with starter cranking as we would do on the heavy trucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power steering worked fine this morning when I got up and headed to work although temperature displace in dash did not work drove 20km restarted car. Power steering worked and the temp display worked. Drove another 80km it failed again. Almost like the water warmed up and thawed out Only after shut off and restarting. Replaced battery. Light remained on no power steering sent it to the dealer they checked to find code for power steering control module. (Can’t remember the exact code. As the invoice is still opened until next week when I have water pump replaced.) tech checked all powers grounds and comunication wires as trouble shooting says and deemed the module shorted internally. Based on testing.

This is where it gets weird. They told me I can get a module separate but the manufactured does not recommend that. And that they have had issues doing this due to programing issues. And that they need the old module on the car then change it and load the old software into the new one. They did not seem confident so I left call another shop in a different city I heard good things about they instantly asked me if I had them replace the negative cable I said no they said it’s not a symptom. He said that they will change it and write it up as it fixed the problem weather it needs it does or not because guarantee it will in time.

Also told me programing module is no problem. And that they won’t even need the old on if I change it myself and bring it there.

So when I take the car in for water pump I’ll make them change the cable too. If that does not fix problem I’ll change the steering module. And have them do programing.

Does this sound fishy from the first shop?

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like the first shop wasn't sure how things worked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For almost 1600 I’m going to do some calling around. And make sure that cable is replaced.
And the techs are confident

It’s possible that water in the connector failed the module just weird how it’s works then doesn’t... it worked all the way home tonight and still working... very odd!!!

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the problem only appears when the car is started. Probably a failed self-test. That is, you've never had the light turn on when the car is running as long as it was off after you started it, correct?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the light has never came on after the car starts. Or while driving. It comes during start up. Or during the display that says checking.

Like I have stated. Typically I can wake up in the morning start the car and drive. Seems like the problem only comes active after the car is driven for a period and then turned off. If started back up within a few minutes of shut down it seems to be active. But never a fault while driving

Right now temperatures here are below 0c so possibly a temperature issue. After warmed up a bit. I was thinking maybe the moisture got inside the module and after driving it could maybe thaw out... but I would almost think it would put a light on while driving as the moisture thaws. Also I am curious to see if when the temperature warms up this weekend if the problem will be more constant. Yesterday was probably 0c but didn’t seem to go inactive all day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts