Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, as I was reading through the manual I came across the Service and maintenance section and I got confused with the two different Additional required services that fall under Severe and normal. I know by the title the meaning but don't know what I may fall under as it has no instructions or details just the chart. What would fall under normal and what would fall under severe? All help appreciated!:D

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi xxarmando,

I will be glad to assist you with your concern. Can you please provide the model Cruze you have so that I can get the best answer? Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Unless you drive at 55-60 MPH 90+% of the time and have zero stop & go traffic use the "severe" schedule.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello all,

Obermd is correct! Here is a little more detail found on page 11-3 of the owners manual of a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. The page number and details may vary depending on your model year.

Because of the way people use
vehicles, maintenance needs vary.
There may need to be more
frequent checks and services.

The Additional Required
Services - Normal are for
vehicles that:
. Carry passengers and cargo
within recommended limits on
the Tire and Loading Information
label. See Vehicle Load Limits
on page 9-9.
. Are driven on reasonable road
surfaces within legal driving
limits.
. Use the recommended fuel. See
Recommended Fuel (Gasoline)
on page 9-52.
Refer to the information in the
Maintenance Schedule Additional
Required Services - Normal chart.

The Additional Required
Services - Severe are for vehicles
that are:
. Mainly driven in heavy city traffic
in hot weather.
. Mainly driven in hilly or
mountainous terrain.
. Frequently towing a trailer.
. Used for high speed or
competitive driving.
. Used for taxi, police, or delivery
service.
Refer to the information in the
Maintenance Schedule Additional
Required Services - Severe chart.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Point & Counterpoint - Remember that the "severe" driving WINTER and SUMMER periods are only (roughly) 3-months long each. This means the "normal" driving SPRING and FALL periods are the remaining 6-months of the year! Of course, where you drive (urban, city, freeways, etc.) is also a deciding factor.

Luckily, the above factors are considered by the GM Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system because it monitors: (a) engine coolant temperature to 'know' severe TEMPERATURE conditions and (b) engine speed/duration to 'know' DRIVING conditions (short low rpms = city; continuous medium/high rpms = highway/freeway).

Now, if GM would just incorporate a similar 'sensing' systems for (a) automatic transmission and (b) coolant "levels" and "lifes", things would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Most of us fall under severe service schedules. That means maintain the car more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts