Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some forum searching and didn't see this as something that came up, so I thought I would put a post out there and maybe it will help someone in the future. I got a Service Stabilitrak warning light and TCS and ABS lights. I pulled the codes and it said the wheel speed sensor was bad. After replacing the wheel speed sensor didn't fix it I looked at the reluctor wheel on the wheel bearing had rusted and cracked. This caused a bad wheel speed signal. This has now happened on both of my rear wheels. I have a 2012 ECO with 180k on it. It is actually just as easy to do the rear bearing as it is for the rear wheel speed sensor because the sensor is placed directly under the brake line. Something to look for if you are having this issue.

Cruze Wheel Bearing.JPG

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
So I see we are running the rubber tone ring with the magnets in it.

First wheel bearing of this type I ran into was on an Acadia. It seems they have issues with rust causing problems with the signal output.

For anyone else who runs into rust contaminated toner rings they can be cleaned, just do not use a magnet to remove the rust particles. It demagnetizes the magnets in the tone ring. A small brush like a toothbrush and some soapy water works well.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Relatively common issue with newer style wss GM has been using. Youll find ones where chunks of the magnet have actually broken off due to rust jacking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah I just replaced the passenger side one on my car. However, the speed sensor was actually junk, but that alone didn't solve the issue. I replaced mine with the Moog bearing off of rock auto. Seems to be a far superior design than the cheap parts the car came with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts