Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post is kind of in between sections. But here's the problem. I went to the local stealership, today, because of an issue I had. Intercooler hose came detached from the inlet side of the intercooler. I was accelerating onto the highway and I hear a Big Bang, followed my what felt like no gas pedal, at all. The car wouldn't move out of its own way. I was on the way to work, and as soon as it happened, I knew it was the IC pipe, and knew I could drive to work on it. No cel, nothing. I also knew there was no way I was going to have the time to bring it in, during my work week. So I waited 3 days until today, which is my Saturday. Drive to the dealership, and have it written up.

They had the bumper off just last week for my Eco shutters, which quit working. They had half the front end off fixing that. Well, the next day, this happens. I bring it in today, willing to spend the money, if need be, to have the pipe reattached. I wait 2 hours. Shoot the **** with my friends, who work there, and the service writer comes out and tells me this guy drives my car and can't find a problem with it.

I'll definitely admit over the past few days the ecu has done a good job adjusting the ecu maps to compensate. You can barely tell there is a problem. The car is covering the mechanical problem up. So I walk the service writer out there, whom I've known for a few years. And reach down behind the fan and jiggle the inlet elbow on the intercooler side.

So we both jump in the car and drive back into the service bay to show the tech. Well, the tech sees us pull up to his bay and turns around and gets on his laptop. So we stand there, the service writer doesn't say anything and just lets this guy do his thing. 4-5 minutes goes by and the guy is texting and finally walks off. And the service writer calls him, he turns around and says he's looked at it and there is nothing wrong with it. The service writer asks, me to tell the guy what's wrong with it, and the tech ignores me. Then says the car is good. Service writer asks you made sure the hoses were all hooked up, and it's right? Tech says, yes. Then service writer tells me he's inclined to listen to his tech, over me, because he's GM master certified. And asks me what I want to do. And is willing to split the cost of looking at it to $67.50 for my half.

So, now, I'm pissed. This tech won't even come back over to look at the car, and walks back inside to go get another job. So now, I'm out $67.50 and the car still isn't fixed.

So, now, my question is, has anyone had their front bumper off recently and have some pictures of how the intercooler pipe hooks up to the inlet side of the intercooler (passenger side). There is an elbow that attaches to the intercooler, but you can't see where it connects, because the radiator is in the way. But when I reach down and wiggle it. You can hear the plastic slapping against the intercooler inlet. I don't think it's all the way detached because I still get boost. But I'm not getting it all.

Looking for pics or an explanation of how the pipe attaches to the IC. So I know if I need parts before I tear this thing apart and take pictures so I can get my $67.50 back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basically these hoses are just held on with a spring. I have seen them come off on the diesel trucks and you just push them back on. Here is the whole procedure on how to replace the pipe but has a few pictures on it.

Charge Air Cooler Inlet Air Hose Replacement

Removal Procedure
  • Open the hood.
  • Disconnect the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection.

• Loosen the charge air cooler inlet air hose clamp (1).
  • Remove the charge air cooler inlet air hose (2) from the turbocharger.
  • Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Replacement.

• Unlock the charge air cooler inlet air hose quick connector (1).
  • Remove the charger air cooler inlet air hose (2).
Installation Procedure

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's all that happened. The hose blew off the inlet end of the intercooler. So it looks like some sort of reverse snap ring. But it's hard to get to. Obviously the manual has you removing the entire bumper cover to reconnect the hose. But it looks like you can get to it from underneath by removing the lower shields. I just need to get a T20 Torx and jack the car up. Man, I'm pissed. This is why I brought it to the dealer to get it done and they missed it and wouldn't even listen to me to put it back on. Pain in my a**.

Thank you for helping me out, with this.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
I wonder - to repair/replace the ECO's shutters, do you have to disconnect the intercooler? The worst part of your story is the sheer indifference by the tech and his assumption that the computer knows all. Find another dealership. If you get in there and it is indeed disconnected or loose, document with pictures and contact the GM of that dealership and let him know that not only do you want your money back but you also want to be paid for your time to resecure these lines. If you don't get a response from the GM in your favor, file a complaint with the BBB, the state consumer protection agency, and GM. Then give us the name of this particular stealershp so our members know to avoid them.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, Ober. The tech just gave the service writer a blank stare when he called the tech over to take a look at the car. I stuck my hand down in there, and clearly rattled the plastic intercooler elbow that was rattling against the intercooler inlet. And this guy tells me he's inclined to believe his "GM master tech" over me.

Step 1. I'm a paying customer.
Step 2. You didn't even do what I asked. I told you what the car was doing. You drove it and told me it wasn't doing that. Fine, it didn't act like the pipe was disconnected.
Step 3. The pipe is actually disconnected. I was getting on the highway and heard it shoot off and the gas pedal went dead. Yes, the computer adjusted for it. But the fact of the matter is, the pipe is still not attached.
Step 4. I paid you to do absolutely nothing to my car except drive it around the block and plug in the computer to check for codes. So that money is spent.

I believe that now understanding how the hose is connected, that they didn't need to remove the intercooler to change the Eco shutters. So I believe that's out.

Fact still remains. They did nothing I asked. I pointed to the disconnected pipe and shook it with my hand to make it rattle.

Service writer to tech "is everything connected properly"

Tech: "yes"

What id like to know from customer service is 2 things.

1. Are the Eco shutters covered under powertrain? Because if this is the case, I want my $100 back from my deductible, for my extended warranty.

2. Are the intercooler hoses blowing off, part of the turbo charger assembly, which is covered under the 5/100 powertrain? If this is the case, I should have $0 out of pocket for either. And right now, I'm at $167.50.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I'm not customer care but I do know warranty.

The shutters fall under 3/36 or extended coverage so the deduct applies.

I see no evidence that the intercooler pipeing would be disturbed during that repair and, although not necessary, from a time standpoint, the cover off would make for a quicker repair.

Now, the intercooler pipe coming off: Absolutely covered under powertrain.......take pictures to support your findings.
A diagnosis fee should not apply to a 'No Problem Found'
A fee should only apply when a ACCURATE diagnosis is provided but you, the customer, choose not to have it addressed.

1. A accurate diagnosis was NOT provided.
2. You did NOT choose to delay repair.

Therefore, no service was provided to substantiate any charges.

State your case to the service director, with your paid reciept, photos, and the story you shared with us.
Do not discuss this with the service writer......Service Director only.

Dig your heels in.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, Rob. That provided a lot of insight. And it kind of sucks, because I used to work at this dealership and I know all of these guys.

I don't know the tech, or any of the techs, for that matter, but I worked with the rest of these guys for a year and a half. And the GM of the store is one of the best guys, there is.

One thing, I do know is, that I've known that this service writer is a shark. And he's all about, "time is money" and I've learned that about him, problem is, he gets his panties in a bunch if I walk in and go to anyone else.

He makes it known, that I'm his customer. And even if the other person writes it up, by the time the car is done and I go back in for the diagnosis, my paperwork always ends up back at this guys desk, as my writer.

And it sucks, because I consider him a good acquaintance. We have the same personality and we joke around about stuff no one else knows about. But, this is business. So not taking anything away from that, but this is my money, here. And if the intercooler pipe should be covered under powertrain, I want my money back.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Business is business......know the guy or not, he is either unwilling or unable to look out for your (or others) best interests.

You provided the diagnosis in advance and it appears your aquantance is being bullied by the tech.(term loosly used in this case)

If the GM is well known, share it with that person and don't worry about hurt feelings.....it's your hard earned.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The GM actually stopped me in the hallway on the way out and said if I had an issue to come to him. I believe in the chain of command. So I wasn't going to spill my guts to him. I'll deal with the service manager, first. But the suggestions are perfect. This is what I was looking for.

The dealership, itself is awesome. You can't base a dealers reputation on 1 or 2 bad seeds. With over 100 employees, everyone has their own opinion. Individuals deal with things, how they see fit. I think the biggest win, for me, is the fact that this should, at a minimum, be covered under powertrain. And my "buddy" is overcharging people for something that should be covered under warranty. I think they are blinded by the 3/36 and forget about the powertrain warranty, unless it's an engine replacement or something major.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
The GM actually stopped me in the hallway on the way out and said if I had an issue to come to him. I believe in the chain of command. So I wasn't going to spill my guts to him. I'll deal with the service manager, first. But the suggestions are perfect. This is what I was looking for.

The dealership, itself is awesome. You can't base a dealers reputation on 1 or 2 bad seeds. With over 100 employees, everyone has their own opinion. Individuals deal with things, how they see fit. I think the biggest win, for me, is the fact that this should, at a minimum, be covered under powertrain. And my "buddy" is overcharging people for something that should be covered under warranty. I think they are blinded by the 3/36 and forget about the powertrain warranty, unless it's an engine replacement or something major.
Well, I sorta have to put my tail between my legs and apologize for misinformation.

On my way home from my sons shop I stopped at my dealer to discuss how your concern was handled (helps them avoid situations....I share many of our stories with them)

Anyways.....I'm trampling my little Rob......the tubing we are discussing would not...repeat, NOT have been a powetrain type claim......so I hope I'm getting that to you before you end up looking silly like I am right now.

That being said, the dealer still did nothing for your diagnosis fee and you should pursue that as we said earlier with your pics and story.

However, it would have been covered under your extended warranty and since most extended warranties are one deductable per repair VISIT.....not per repair, you would/should have only been exposed to one deductable.

Again, I apologize for the mis-information....I try to keep it accurate.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, nah, it's all good. I didn't do anything about it, today. But that's fine. The way he explained it to me, was, that the time spent working on it, already, was what I was paying for. Even if they didn't find anything. So, if this is incorrect? I still need to get my money back.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The tech did not diagnose anything or fix the problem you brought the car in for, seems you should not be paying anything then. It would be like if you brought the car in for an oil change and were charged for work that was not preformed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The tech did not diagnose anything or fix the problem you brought the car in for, seems you should not be paying anything then. It would be like if you brought the car in for an oil change and were charged for work that was not preformed.
Agreed! It would be like charging your dealer for the time it takes driving to/from the dealership for said repairs. It's just not right. Perhaps run that by them and see what they think? lol

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Oh, nah, it's all good. I didn't do anything about it, today. But that's fine. The way he explained it to me, was, that the time spent working on it, already, was what I was paying for. Even if they didn't find anything. So, if this is incorrect? I still need to get my money back.
I'm of three minds here. On one hand I don't mind paying if there really isn't anything wrong. The other side of this is if I take it back in and have the Service Manager find the problem the entire repair should be free with your money back. The final mind here is you know the folks - this should have been a courtesy check but the tech in this case simply didn't car and didn't bother putting the car up on a lift to physically check the connections. This is a 5 minute check, including driving the car to the lift.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's exactly how I feel about it. He flat out told the service writer, right in front of me, that everything was connected properly. It's not.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I just climbed under the car. Didn't have to jack it up, or anything. I removed 2 of the T20 Torx screws that held up the triangle under belly panels, just in front of the passenger side wheel, and I was able to blindly reach into the wheel well, pull the retaining clip off, and wiggle the intercooler hose off. It's was definitely not connected properly. So I pulled the snap ring off, pulled the hose back so I could see how the retaining clip set into the recesses, hooked the elbow back up to the inlet, I pushed and felt it snap into place, bottoming out against the intercooler inlet lip. Now, it's connected properly. It probably took another 5 minutes to get the retaining clip back on, since I had to do the whole thing by feel. Took the car for a drive and that was definitely the problem. I can tell there are a few hiccups, as the computer adjusts to having that much air available again. I only drove it maybe 10 miles total. Mostly highway, but all of the throttle response is back, and that's what one of the biggest problems with the hose being off, was. So, I'm not sure how long this thing is going to stay connected. But I'm just going to drive it like I always drive it, and if it blows off, again, I'll just fix it again.

All in all. About 30 minutes to do everything. Not easy with the front bumper that close to the ground.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
So I just climbed under the car. Didn't have to jack it up, or anything. I removed 2 of the T20 Torx screws that held up the triangle under belly panels, just in front of the passenger side wheel, and I was able to blindly reach into the wheel well, pull the retaining clip off, and wiggle the intercooler hose off. It's was definitely not connected properly. So I pulled the snap ring off, pulled the hose back so I could see how the retaining clip set into the recesses, hooked the elbow back up to the inlet, I pushed and felt it snap into place, bottoming out against the intercooler inlet lip. Now, it's connected properly. It probably took another 5 minutes to get the retaining clip back on, since I had to do the whole thing by feel. Took the car for a drive and that was definitely the problem. I can tell there are a few hiccups, as the computer adjusts to having that much air available again. I only drove it maybe 10 miles total. Mostly highway, but all of the throttle response is back, and that's what one of the biggest problems with the hose being off, was. So, I'm not sure how long this thing is going to stay connected. But I'm just going to drive it like I always drive it, and if it blows off, again, I'll just fix it again.

All in all. About 30 minutes to do everything. Not easy with the front bumper that close to the ground.
Let your buddy at the dealership know this and ask for your money back. The tech definitely didn't bother doing a proper diagnostic and no one should ever have to pay for an improper diagnostic.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Let your buddy at the dealership know this and ask for your money back. The tech definitely didn't bother doing a proper diagnostic and no one should ever have to pay for an improper diagnostic.
I don't disagree, but without photos, it's his word against the tech's.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Super hard to even take pictures. I had to do the entire thing by feel. I dont even know if they would believe someone else didn't do something to it after I left the dealership. I need to see what GM has to say about it. I wonder if I can tell my story to customer service, and they deal with the dealership, and I just go down and get my money back. Who knows. Im just glad my car is running correctly, now. I drive 70 miles round trip, back and forth to work, and it was so nice coming home.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Super hard to even take pictures. I had to do the entire thing by feel. I dont even know if they would believe someone else didn't do something to it after I left the dealership. I need to see what GM has to say about it. I wonder if I can tell my story to customer service, and they deal with the dealership, and I just go down and get my money back. Who knows. Im just glad my car is running correctly, now. I drive 70 miles round trip, back and forth to work, and it was so nice coming home.
With or without your buddy - let the dealership's GM know what happened and that you won't be returning to his dealership - ever. If he cares you'll get your money back and possibly some freebies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts