Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know what may be the issue, but I was curious about how this works, so thought I will ask the experts.
One of my remotes was badly mutilated, so I bought this replacement case on Amazon . Moved the board from the old remote to the new case. The buttons work fine for opening and closing doors (haven't tried the remote start). The key from my old remote doesn't fit into the new case, so it is unattached.

I am trying to start the car with the key from the old remote (not attached to the new remote). It shows the message "Service Theft Deterrent System" and doesn't crank.

I am assuming it is because something is sensing that the key is not attached to the remote. Am I right? What is it really looking for and how ? Is there any way to crank the engine with this key? I have another remote and key that works fine, so I am not desperate, but really curious about how this works.

Thank you !

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I am assuming it is because something is sensing that the key is not attached to the remote. Am I right? What is it really looking for and how ?
For the switchblade style keys the transponder is in the FOB itself. The key is just a piece of shaped metal.

Is there any way to crank the engine with this key?
No. The transponder is required for a start.

You can actually start the vehicle with only the transponder which is something I've done a few times when I didn't have the right key cut.

But you can do this by just holding the correct transponder near the ignition as you turn your 'key'. The vehicle only checks for it when you enter ACC mode and when you first start the engine. After that you can set the transponder down.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But you can do this by just holding the correct transponder near the ignition as you turn your 'key'. The vehicle only checks for it when you enter ACC mode and when you first start the engine. After that you can set the transponder down.
Perfect. I was able to start by holding the transponder near the ignition. Thank you for your help. I had tried that earlier, but it hadn't worked, but I think I probably wasn't holding it there while entering the ACC mode.

· Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Perfect. I was able to start by holding the transponder near the ignition. Thank you for your help. I had tried that earlier, but it hadn't worked, but I think I probably wasn't holding it there while entering the ACC mode.
Good to hear. There is a coil which surrounds the ignition which invokes the transponder in the key. It can be tempermental and the orientation of the key may matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.