Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just started recently. When driving the car at acceleration my car will jerk and the service Traction Control light will come on along with the check engine and then disappear. Now the check engine light is on even after restart. And every time I accelerate quickly it does this. My question is does anyone have an idea what might be the issue and whether it would be covered under my power train warranty.

2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 LT

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Without knowing the stored codes it's hard to tell. Chances are it will be covered by the Powertrain warranty, but like I said we need the code history.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had the codes read and turns out to be a P0300 Random and a Cylinder Misfire. I'm thinking maybe a bad spark plug or they need to be regapped?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
So this just started recently. When driving the car at acceleration my car will jerk and the service Traction Control light will come on along with the check engine and then disappear. Now the check engine light is on even after restart. And every time I accelerate quickly it does this. My question is does anyone have an idea what might be the issue and whether it would be covered under my power train warranty.

2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 LT
Hello baumben,

We’re sorry to hear of the recent issue you’ve encountered with your 2011 Cruze and can understand why this is concerning. Our team would be more than happy to look into this further and contact the dealership to set up an appointment for diagnosis. If this is of interest, please send us a direct message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same issue, but I haven't had the check engine light come on. The DIC will state to check power steering/traction control and airbag system.

The whole car jerks coming out at the top (3000-3500 rpm) of 1st gear to 2nd. (I drive the 6spd Man. Eco) Best I can describe is the feeling like the rev limiter turning on. Twice the car had stalled completely and I couldn't start the car or jump it for 20-30 minutes. While dead, turning it over the DIC would state, "checking" then say check power steering and airbags.

Took it to deal and they replaced negative battery cable. But it's still doing the same thing.

I think it has to do with GM's crap RVC system. I've been in too many GM cars with electrical gremlins.

·
2,168 Posts
I am having the same issue, but I haven't had the check engine light come on. The DIC will state to check power steering/traction control and airbag system.

The whole car jerks coming out at the top (3000-3500 rpm) of 1st gear to 2nd. (I drive the 6spd Man. Eco) Best I can describe is the feeling like the rev limiter turning on. Twice the car had stalled completely and I couldn't start the car or jump it for 20-30 minutes. While dead, turning it over the DIC would state, "checking" then say check power steering and airbags.

Took it to deal and they replaced negative battery cable. But it's still doing the same thing.

I think it has to do with GM's crap RVC system. I've been in too many GM cars with electrical gremlins.
Sounds like it could be a bad battery now. Improper voltages cause the sensitive electronics to go haywire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I'd like to think the dealer would test the battery if I brought it in for electrical issues. I never had it tested afterwards. The volt meter is all over the place. Based on what I've read on GM's RVC system. It seems to function the "correct" way, besides the fact that sometimes I notice my voltage drop down to 11.9 when accelerating. (Sometimes it will go down to 11.8 when I come to stop, then go back up to 12.2-12.5 area after 5-10 seconds. (Stopped at a light or parking in to a space)

If I'm in 6th gear, going 70. The car sits around 14-14.5 volts. But If I'm in town, going 30-40 mph, sitting in 4th or 5th gear, the car varies wildly, some days it will be around 13-14 volts, but others it fluctuates between 11.8-13.

I've just never seen such wild fluctuations in voltage before in a car. I can drive a 370z and that sucker sits at 14.5 solid all day long. This car it can go up or down 3 volts in 2 seconds depending on acceleration or braking.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Well, I'd like to think the dealer would test the battery if I brought it in for electrical issues. I never had it tested afterwards. The volt meter is all over the place. Based on what I've read on GM's RVC system. It seems to function the "correct" way, besides the fact that sometimes I notice my voltage drop down to 11.9 when accelerating. (Sometimes it will go down to 11.8 when I come to stop, then go back up to 12.2-12.5 area after 5-10 seconds. (Stopped at a light or parking in to a space)

If I'm in 6th gear, going 70. The car sits around 14-14.5 volts. But If I'm in town, going 30-40 mph, sitting in 4th or 5th gear, the car varies wildly, some days it will be around 13-14 volts, but others it fluctuates between 11.8-13.

I've just never seen such wild fluctuations in voltage before in a car. I can drive a 370z and that sucker sits at 14.5 solid all day long. This car it can go up or down 3 volts in 2 seconds depending on acceleration or braking.
You appear to have a problem elsewhere in your electrical system. The alternator in the Cruze is a variable output and the voltages you're reporting are normal to slightly below normal. I don't think I've ever seen mine drop below 12v while the engine is running. My guess is you have a bad battery - get it tested with a proper load applying battery tester. Static testers frequently miss borderline batteries, which I suspect applies here.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Based on what I've read on GM's RVC system. It seems to function the "correct" way, besides the fact that sometimes I notice my voltage drop down to 11.9 when accelerating. (Sometimes it will go down to 11.8 when I come to stop, then go back up to 12.2-12.5 area after 5-10 seconds. (Stopped at a light or parking in to a space)

Do you have any aftermarket stuff connected to the battery? The Cruze has a battery current sensor. If things are hooked up wrong, then the BCM is going to see current that is not really going to the battery and will confuse the heck out of the smart charging system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket stuff connected to the battery? The Cruze has a battery current sensor. If things are hooked up wrong, then the BCM is going to see current that is not really going to the battery and will confuse the heck out of the smart charging system.
Car is completely stock. At this point I'm going to test the battery in the next few days. Nothing seemed off with the multimeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
greetings i am new to the group i have a 2013 chevy cruze LT with 81000 miles and i was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden i receive a engine reducing power then service traction control message i lose power at this point i have no power so i pull over and i start to research this message so i found out that shutting off the engine for 15 seconds will reset the computer so upon doing this i was up and running again but i still had the check engine light on so i stop to get something from store and now the check engine light is off can someone tell me what is going on is this a common issue and will my warranty cover this repair i no longer have the check engine light on to run a diagnostic on to determine the potential issue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts