Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i have a 2017 cruze ls, that i purchased new, its got 58000 on the odom.
This past month the car is hesitating when pulling off, ive taken to 2 dealers who say the cars fine. i think it shifts poorly as well but think that may be related to the hesitation. Ive replaced the plugs and air filter and was thinking i may change the trans fluid soon as well. its been a little hotter lately and sometime the cars barely moves when flooring it off the line, after a bit its may drive fine off the line then return to the same behavior the next day. any idea what may be causing the poor driveability? no lights are on dash , chk eng etc...
thanks
Mike
i did try premium gas and a can of seafoam as well but only put a few miles on it since

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
738 Posts
I would first look at my transmission shift times, and ATF temperature.

I would definitely change the ATF. Doing this would also fix an issues caused by incorrect fluid level. Both high and low levels can cause overheating.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
738 Posts
When changing atf fluid (myself)whats best method for proper level?
This is might seem like a lot, but it is actually an easy process.

Stuff you will need:
5 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF
Long narrow funnel
Container to measure fluid
Drain pan
11mm socket and ratchet
Car jack
4 jack stands

Prepare to jack up the car. The car needs to be level, both side to side and front to back.
Also stage all your materials and tools.

Drive the car for about 20 minutes, this is to get the transmission fluid temperature to about 190F. Your car may run cooler, that is fine.

After driving, immediately put it on stands and remove the driver's side front tire. Do not delay, this is to keep the fluid as warm as possible.

Remove the transmission vent cap, and then remove the 11mm bottom plug to drain the transmission fluid.

About 4 to 4.5 quarts of fluid should come out. Measure it for reference.

Re-install the drain plug. And add 4 quarts of fluid.

Start the engine, and slowly cycle through the transmission gears while keeping the brakes on.

Then place in Park, then cycle through the gears again. And then place back in Park.

Keep the engine running. THIS IS CRITICAL. Then open the 11mm side drain just to the rear of the drive shaft. Add fluid until there is flow out of the side drain.

Once the fluid is slowly coming out, replace the plug.

Your level is now set, return the car to service. Don’t forget to re-install the vent cap. It is also a good idea to monitor the ATF temperature for a few days. IMHO the transmission has a fluid level sweet spot of about a 1 quart range. Any more than an extra ½ quart, or lower by ½ quart might cause overheating. Record how much fluid you removed, and how much you added.

If the transmission works better after this, do the same procedure again. This is because the transmission has about 9 quarts of fluid capacity.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
This is a common symptom of the air filter falling off of the clip inside. May trigger a P1101.

Also, these cars run like turds on 87 octane in hotter (80s-90s) weather. As pricey as gas is right now, they'll increase MPG just a bit on higher octane, and be MUCH more responsive off the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts