Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

In the process of replacing the turbo charger (which may be its own post in the future depending on how that goes..!) in my 2012 Cruze, I had to remove the catalytic converter. When it came time to detach it from the rest of the exhaust system (where it's held on with 3 bolts), I managed to shear off all 3 studs/bolts. I did try let some WD40 soak into the nuts before going crazy on it, because they were pretty heavily corroded, but it clearly wasn't much help.

The studs appear to be attached to its own little shroud that, at first glance, doesn't appear to be a permanently fixed part of the cat itself, but it's holding pretty strong. I wanted to ask here before I go trying to apply more force to the wrong end of things again.

Has anyone run into this before and know the best/correct course of action?

Thanks!
Auto part Automotive exhaust
Pipe Auto part Metal

·
Registered
193 Posts
I haven't heard of there being replacement studs. What you need to do is take a punch and hammer the stud out on the sheared side. Try making a little divot first so it doesn't slip and hit the face of the sealing surface. You can then just run some bolts, nuts and washers instead.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Heating up the studs before punching them out would help as well as some good penetrant.
I like PB Blaster myself, it seems to work much better than WD-40 on rusty nuts and bolts.

In the future use an impact wrench if possible, it really helps loosen rusty nuts much better than a regular wrench. Much less likely to break off a stud or bolt.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,369 Posts
FYI: WD40 stands for Water Displacement formulation #40. Works great for drying out a wet distributor cap so you can start an older car, but sucks for freeing rusted nuts.

Use PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, Corrosion X etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.