·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one did you get? And which one would be better for the Cruze? Would one be better for MPGs and one be better for helping the cruze run smoother?
I do get better a few MPG better in some instances with the 91 octane no ethanol. However my car feels so much better under acceleration and on hills with the 93 octane.

I got the 93 octane. I can get the 91 octane with no ethanol at allot of other stations for much less.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
My question is why is the 93 octane cheaper than the the 91. Since the 93 is on the side with the 87 + 89, maybe it is really a combination of the 3 where the 91 is "pure" 91.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
My question is why is the 93 octane cheaper than the the 91. Since the 93 is on the side with the 87 + 89, maybe it is really a combination of the 3 where the 91 is "pure" 91.
Ethanol-free gas can be more expensive to produce thanks to the subsidies we have in place for ethanol. With the current subsidy boondoggle, ethanol is less expensive for refiners to blend with the other petroleum products needed to make gasoline. Add in the requirements to add oxygen into gasoline to burn cleaner, and we have it where E10 is cheaper than E0.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question is why is the 93 octane cheaper than the the 91.
Think watered down, 10% ethanol gas usually costs slightly less than 100% gas. However I can drive to any Kwik Trip or Cenex gas station and get 91octane no ethanol premium without paying any extra over the price at other stations, or in this case more than the 93 octane.

Kwik Trip(top tier) has their premium no ethanol 91 octane listed as "recreational gas" on the pump. I believe this is due to it running better in small engines(boats, 4wheelers,lawn mowers, ect).

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
is it top tier fuel.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,545 Posts
Any idea, why the gas with ethanol in it makes the cruze run smoother?
Ethanol helps to decrease the likelihood of pre-ignition that causes the Cruze to cut back power for a brief second when the knock sensors detect something. On "bad" gas or in high-load, low RPM conditions (up a hill in the wrong gear or something), or in hot weather with the AC running, you'll feel the Cruze running like crap and acceleration can be a little jerky.

I got a super good deal on 87 octane today at an Exxon (under $3; why the heck not?). The Cruze actually seems to love it - drove 100 miles on it today around-town with/without AC and with temps @ 70. I'm guessing it has more ethanol than the 89-91 that I normally use.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Ethanol helps to decrease the likelihood of pre-ignition that causes the Cruze to cut back power for a brief second when the knock sensors detect something. On "bad" gas or in high-load, low RPM conditions (up a hill in the wrong gear or something), or in hot weather with the AC running, you'll feel the Cruze running like crap and acceleration can be a little jerky.

I got a super good deal on 87 octane today at an Exxon (under $3; why the heck not?). The Cruze actually seems to love it - drove 100 miles on it today around-town with/without AC and with temps @ 70. I'm guessing it has more ethanol than the 89-91 that I normally use.
Oh okay, thanks!

I actually remember reading that Exxon has the greatest amount of detergent additives in their 87 regular unleaded fuel when compared to other gas stations' 87 regular fuel, like, Shell, BP, Citgo, Pilot, etc. But I when it came to Premium unleaded, shell has the most additives. I-Team: Test of different popular brands of gasoline shows big differences in emissions, mileage

So it's not all that crazy that the Cruze would actually like having Exxon's 87 fuel in it, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
It's always and only Shell 93 for me. Car loves it and so does my wallet, I save so much money coming from my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I initially posted this because it was very odd to see both premium grades offered, found an even rarer gas station today.

This Cenex station located in Middleton,WI(google maps link), all the pumps on the west of the building offer no ethanol on all grades, 87,89,91 octane. All the pumps on the south side of the building all grades have 10% ethanol, 87,90,93 octane. The Stuff with 10% ethanol was about 10cents cheaper a gallon for all grades.

I used to be a strict top tier user, however I find my car runs much better on BP or Cenex gas than half the other top tier brands I have used. The higher detergent levels of top tier is such a good argument most of us don't question the recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Ethanol helps to decrease the likelihood of pre-ignition that causes the Cruze to cut back power for a brief second when the knock sensors detect something.
Agreed - pre-ignition is not good especially on a tuned engine. I only use 93 Octane and I have no choice but to use 10% ethanol where I live. I have not been offered the option for ethanol free fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed - pre-ignition is not good especially on a tuned engine. I only use 93 Octane and I have no choice but to use 10% ethanol where I live. I have not been offered the option for ethanol free fuel.
Most stations around here that is all that's offered ethanol free, is 91 octane premium. All other grades are 10% ethanol. They used to offer 93octane no ethanol here, but that disappeared about 2010. I would say check out pure-gas.org/ but with a tune I think you would be better off with the 10% ethanol gas.

You can find 93 octane with 10% ethanol around here, but its harder to find than the ethanol free premium. Since I am not tuned, I will keep the 2-6mpg better average I get without ethanol. However now that I found a station that offers lower octane without ethanol I'm going to test out 89 and maybe 87 octane to see if my MPG increase is due to the lack of ethanol or the octane increase running premium.

I suspect I can get just as good on MPG on the 89 octane no ethanol as I normally do on the 91 octane no ethanol stuff. Price difference today was 16cents a gallon between the 89 and 91 octane. 87 to 89 octane was a 6cents a gallon difference.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
666 Posts
I'm getting about 4 miles a gallon better since i changed brands.

Can't convince my wife of that though.

I put in shell in her car whenever I get the chance too.
I just started running shell 93 vpower and I think im getting better milage

1 - 20 of 21 Posts