Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So amidst all th e threads about mpg and my hatred of my own mpg which has slightly improved since switching to 93 octane, I'm making a separate thread. here's why:
I put 93 octane at HEB, car runs better, etc. yesterday I was forced to put gas at shell, I didn't fill up, only put $20 of their 93 octane. I didn't like it, I noticed:
car got to much higher RPM's before shifting, I have an automatic, usually shift around 2k, with shell it was more like 2500-2700 rpms. also, those shifts seemed much rougher than the already rough shifts, also, the engine was much louder, especially when accelerating. At this pooint, I have seen no 'improvement' over theHEB 93 octane gas, though this would've been my 5th 93 octane tank at HEB, but instead is a half tank of Shell's 93 octane. Just looking for insight, can't wait to go back to HEB 93 octane. :)
edit: in regards to fuelly, it seeems the longer I wait before filling up, the better my mpg. just saying.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
It could be an additive your car doesn't like, stale gas, or the weather changed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So amidst all th e threads about mpg and my hatred of my own mpg which has slightly improved since switching to 93 octane, I'm making a separate thread. here's why:
I put 93 octane at HEB, car runs better, etc. yesterday I was forced to put gas at shell, I didn't fill up, only put $20 of their 93 octane. I didn't like it, I noticed:
car got to much higher RPM's before shifting, I have an automatic, usually shift around 2k, with shell it was more like 2500-2700 rpms. also, those shifts seemed much rougher than the already rough shifts, also, the engine was much louder, especially when accelerating. At this pooint, I have seen no 'improvement' over theHEB 93 octane gas, though this would've been my 5th 93 octane tank at HEB, but instead is a half tank of Shell's 93 octane. Just looking for insight, can't wait to go back to HEB 93 octane. :)
edit: in regards to fuelly, it seeems the longer I wait before filling up, the better my mpg. just saying.
I really don't like shell gas either. I get better MPG's on BP 87 than i do shell 89. ANd yes, the longer yuo wait to fill up, the bettter, due to the fact as you use a tank, your car weighs less at the end of a tank. You use more fuel by moving a greater weight. I know a guy in my church that says he never fills up past a half tank, due to the x-tra weight.
-Dan

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I've been using shell 93 since the first fill up (8 tanks so far) and have no complaints.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weather did change, but it's been switching between hot and cold for a month now, so I doubt that's it. I guess my problem is that people in other threads say shell is one of the best, it was about 30 cents a gallon more than HEB, but not worth it. as far as waiting to fill up, I usually do it around a quarter tank, but this time I had about just under an eighth of a tank, I was unsure and I'm glad I didn't fill up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've always used Shell gas. I'm in Canada, and they add nitrogen to the mix to supposedly keep the engine cleaner. I get good performance and mileage with it. No complaints here. The mix may be different in the US.
PS...I just use the regular unleaded.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Shell is the only top tier gas available to me locally so I use it almost exclusively in all my cars.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Could it be that the shell is E10, and the gas you've been using is non-E gas? That would make the difference you describe... The first time I used E10, I was out of state, driving my Bonneville 3800 (that actively adjusts timing advance), and I thought something was wrong with my car, or I had gotten a bad load of fuel, because it felt like it was down on power, ran rougher, etc... Turned out that it was just the E10 fuel... We're all just so used to it now, that it's more the rule than the exception...

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts