Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up here in Canada and became aware that certain Shell stations in Canada sell premium diesel fuel.
Its called V-Power. I decided to give it a try (8 cents a liter more). I'm just a few km's into the tank so I will post
at a later date with my impressions.However I did notice something interesting. There was a regular diesel pump next to the premium one
and on it there was a note stating "may contain up to 5% biodiesel". That is the first time I have seen that statement on any diesel
pump and I have tried Esso,CO-OP,Husky Max. Does anyone know anything about this as in is this the norm for regular diesel or just a
Shell thing?

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I tried it, did nothing for power or fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and at Kwik Trip stations there is a "premium" diesel also. It runs a few cents more than regular diesel. As far as I know, the premium here just means it has anti-gel added for cold weather.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I used shell diesel over the weekend, not sure if it was premium and had a little 175 mile road trip at about 65 mph and 55 degrees on half the trip no ac and 76 degrees on the other half with some ac and got 53 mpg so I was quite happy with that, may start to use that all the time. it was 1.95 a gallon

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
In my experience the Shell V-Power Diesel causes the engine to run a little smoother and a little quieter. But I haven't noticed anything related to power or fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yeah, no better economy means I leave it alone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine seems a bit smoother and is definitely quieter. More of a concern is that they use biodiesel in the regular stuff.
Anyone know if the others do the same?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Many stations use biodiesel in their diesel fuel mix. I do think it is required to list a % on the pump label. The Cruze Diesel is rated for up to 20% bio if I remember correctly so anything up to there should be fine especially if you are burning it not just letting it sit in the tank for long enough to go bad. Some states have even mandated certain percentages of bio in all diesel fuel sold in the state. Honestly unless you are driving a Common Rail VW TDI with a highly sensitive fuel system I would not worry about it at all.

Reactions: oreo382

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Cruze is rated for up to and including 20% biodiesel blends. We don't have any types of biodiesel here in NJ.

·
Registered
948 Posts
In Australia, the Shell V-Power, and other premium diesel fuels, only have extra perfumes and detergents in them, they don't have a higher cetane rating or anything that has been demonstrated to have an effect on the performance or lifetime of the vehicle.

I wouldn't waste the money, just buying distillate from a servo that goes through it so fast it doesn't get mouldy is the best bet!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts