Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting i just read a test on shell V power. 2 test samples were taken in 2 different locations.Both tested at 11% alcohol content and a RON of 98 octane.Funy i thought my cruze has more power on it now i know why.Try it and let me know what you think.

Reactions: CruzzieQ

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I have a couple of Shell stations near me. I have used 93 V-Power. I will have to try it again when my take is near empty.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I fill up at my local Shell station from time to time. I think it run smoother when I use that fuel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: CruzzieQ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very interesting i just read a test on shell V power. 2 test samples were taken in 2 different locations.Both tested at 11% alcohol content and a RON of 98 octane.Funy i thought my cruze has more power on it now i know why.Try it and let me know what you think.
You're not confusing what you see on the pump 93 (R+M/2) with "RON" are you? US uses a different method to come up with it's pump "octane number" (which is really an anti-knock number I believe) than does Europe which uses "RON" - so it's highly likely that you would find another brands 93 (R+M/2) also as a RON index of 98. Not knocking your finding - I've been running Shell V-Power 93 for a while and the car runs really well - though I can't say it runs better than another 93 because I haven't taken the opportunity to fill up with another brand.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see how the octane is so high now its the Toluene content or at least thats part of it..That acts as a known octane booster. A Trifecta premium tune at 21 or 22 psi boost I bet will pic up close to 10HP on this gas

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes - 93 (R+M/2) = 98 RON - so they went to a US pump which was marked 93(R+M/2) and ran tests that gave a RON number. RON numbers are always 4 to 5 points higher than the R+M/2 method. The curious part of that "research" is that the advertised regular should have come back with a RON of 91-92. When you say 93=98, it should be qualified it by saying 93(R+M/2) = 98 RON, because the methods that were used to get the numbers is different. Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
I ran Shell exclusively in my Tahoe. 87 octane, Bronze. Even when it was highly inconvenient or cost prohibitive.

At 100,000 miles I took it to the dealership and asked for a throttlebody service. The technician removed the ducting and couldn't believe what he saw. He was incredioulous and called over another tech too look inside. Both shook there heads in disbelief and then let me take a look. I stood on a stool and with a trouble light peered inside the throttlebody. Inside it was perfectly clean, shinny aluminum and brass fittings. They asked me when it was last cleaned. I explained that it had never been cleaned and that it was the first time the ducting had ever been removed. The consensus was that the Shell gasoline was what kept things so clean.

I never once had the injectors cleaned on that engine in its 138 K service. I'm sold on Shell.

Reactions: CruzzieQ and Sonic

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
So they have more than 10% ethanol content? I find that hard to believe, is that even legal?

What about the fuel in my area, Shell offers 91 octane no ethanol V-power premium at some stations and 93 octane E10 at others. The 93 octane feels much more powerful with my stock cruze, however I do get worse MPG with it. That probably has to do with how much more readily the engine seems to rev with the 93 octane & I end up spending more time above 3,000RPM when accelerating.

BP is now also top tier, their also offer 91 octane no ethanol & 93 octane E10 in my area. BP 91 octane feels more powerful than Shell 91 octane, however their 93 octane doesn't quite feel as good as the shell 93 octane. Mobil also has a mix of offering for premium here, their 91 octane also feels better than shell, however their 93 octane is the worst of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup your right 2 many drinks after dinner lol. I looked at that octane rateing backwards. RON is europe rateing.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...also, I believe the correct equation is, actually, the "mean" value of RESEARCH(RON) plus MOTOR(MON) values, ie:

AKI = PON = PUMP = (R + M)/2

...where:
RON = Research Octane Number
MON = Motor Octane Number
PON = Pump Octane Number
AKI = Anti-Knock Index

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I do not notice a difference in power or MPG between 91 E0 and 93 E10. Several Fastrac stations sell 91 E0, which is what I have a full tank of right now. Everywhere else is 93 E10 at a 10-13 cent a gallon discount to 91 E10. I'll swill the corn juice since no ill effects are noticed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Man, I wish there was 93 grade in my location... (NS, Canada)...
I've checked a bunch of stations in the area and they all peak out at 91... :(
Don't worry about it. I go to New Hampshire a couple times a year. They have 93 gas. No tangible difference in mpg or drivability to what we have in the maritimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts