Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, a valet didn't read directions and somehow moved the transmission from park to drive without having his seatbelt on...Can this cause damage to the gears?

I don't know the valet managed to do what he did, but if anyone could provide some insight here, that'd be great.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Long story short, a valet didn't read directions and somehow moved the transmission from park to drive without having his seatbelt on...Can this cause damage to the gears?

I don't know the valet managed to do what he did, but if anyone could provide some insight here, that'd be great.
I don't understand the connection between his seat belt and the gears of your transmission lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't have his seatbelt buckled and the shifter remains locked.

He somehow got it into drive without it it unlocking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
He didn't have his seatbelt buckled and the shifter remains locked.

He somehow got it into drive without it it unlocking.
There is no interlocking between seatbelt and shifter, it's first time I hear about it. Lol

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes I believe I had heard before now, to my knowledge it used the same type lock that releases when you hit the brakes, it may have failed, if it still engages then it's not broken

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If this actually happened I'd just take the car in to my local Chevy dealership and demonstrate that the shift lever doesn't remain locked when your foot isn't on the brake or seat belt is fastened. I really hope GM didn't set the interlock with the seat belt as that's the same crap that was tried in the mid-70s where you couldn't start the engine unless you buckled up both front seats. Those sensors kept failing leading to cars that wouldn't start.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I can put my 2016 into gear without a seatbelt on...

The brake pedal just has to be depressed, that's all.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Oh, apparently this is an option or something. So maybe the valet just waited 30 seconds:

Safety Belt Messages
SHIFTER LOCKED. BUCKLE SEAT BELT
This message displays if the vehicleis equipped with the Safety BeltAssurance System and the driverand front outboard passenger,if present, safety belts are notbuckled. The vehicle will not shiftout of P (Park). Buckle the safetybelt(s) to unlock the shift lever.This system may not allow thevehicle to shift out of P (Park) if anobject — such as a briefcase,handbag, grocery bag, laptop,or other electronic device — is onthe front outboard passenger seat.If this happens, remove the objectfrom the seat or buckle thesafety belt.If the driver or front outboardpassenger unbuckles their safetybelt while driving, the safety beltreminder chime and light(s) willcome on.

SHIFTER UNLOCKED. BRAKETO SHIFT
This message displays when theSafety Belt Assurance System timesout and allows the vehicle to beshifted out of P (Park) after30 seconds following brake apply.See “Safety Belts” and “ChildRestraints” in the Index forinformation about the importance ofproper restraint use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts