Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i might have my first car problem here.

I have a 2014 chevy cruze 1.4lt with 15k miles on it, all oil changes and maintenance up to date.

I was driving as usual one day, going 35mph down a 30mph road, nothing stupid, and i popped it from D to sport mode (the 1-6 sport gear shifter) so i could pop to a lower gear to climb a hill faster, i do this because its fun and i like going through the gears, but please note i do not do this often, only every now and then. Now when i went to shift up, the gear was stuck and required a little force, something popped and it finally shifted up. I went to park, and it did the same thing going from R to park. I was able to recreate the problem. This only happens shifting up in sport mode or going into park. It doesnt require extreme force, but just a little. I have not spilled or dropped ANYTHING in the shifter assembly, so this would be completley because of the car. Is this serious? I really would like to hold off and see if i can fix this myself aside from going straight to the dealer. What should i do and can i remove the assembly myself to see if an object is logged somewhere by chance?

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Take the plastic trim off and take a look. The trim comes off with your fingernails. Start at the top of the horseshoe and work your way down. Be careful not to yank because the traction control button is secured to this cover and there are wires coming off the back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the plastic trim off and take a look. The trim comes off with your fingernails. Start at the top of the horseshoe and work your way down. Be careful not to yank because the traction control button is secured to this cover and there are wires coming off the back.
Update: i was able to remove the trim without any problems, i found a broken piece. This did NOT rip off when i removed the cover, it must had been like that for a while, this just looks like a minor edge piece that helps keep the shifter lubricated, nonetheless, this cant be my problem.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
I'm not an expert in the automatics (two manuals here), but if that piece is broken and can move it can get in the way. You need a new shifter - put it back together and take it to your favorite dealership. Demonstrate the issue to them. Do NOT let them tell you "no CEL no issue".

I suspect that if you do the shifting with the cover off that piece will be interfering with the movement of the shift stalk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so here is what i had done. I basically took a scissor and cut the thing off. It was hanging by a 2cm piece of rubber that had gotten really loose from all the shifting. PROBLEM SOLVED! No more gear locking or snapping and no more force, everything runs like new (i even got the chance to clean the crap that got caught inside) now this piece was simply a cosmetic. There is a little rivit that sits under the shift that gets lifted up when you depress the lever on the stick, this plastic piece that came off was a housing for the rivit, now that it is gone, the rivit still sits there and lift fine, there just is no cover for it. I went for a little drive and no problems what so ever. I went through every gear perfectly. I dont know what this piece was, but it broke off by itself and the car functions better without it, so this was a success in my opinion. No need for a new shifter....

I'm not an expert in the automatics (two manuals here), but if that piece is broken and can move it can get in the way. You need a new shifter - put it back together and take it to your favorite dealership. Demonstrate the issue to them. Do NOT let them tell you "no CEL no issue".

I suspect that if you do the shifting with the cover off that piece will be interfering with the movement of the shift stalk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts