Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know GM uses different methods to transport their new stock. They use rail cars, trucks, and other venders. Using these different methods would mean different wait times for shipping. I have googled, and googled, and googled..... and CAN NOT find any information on how GM ships cars to different states. I have found threads on shipping the Volt to California, with 3 to 4 weeks of rail car time (ouch) moving all over the country. But I can not find any info on the methods and estimated times for shipping along the East Coast of the US. Are all GM cars shipped via rail car to a storage lot, then trucked to the dealer? Or trucked from, lets say Lordstown Ohio to Savannah GA. Is there a millage calculator they use for their shipping methods? My car was ordered, built on 11 September, and waiting to ship. Just curious of other members shipping times and stories. I would HOPE to get it by next weekend. BUT if I have to wait for the rail car, or a truck to fill up that ships to my area, this could mean two weeks or longer. I read on a thread that one guy waited 4 days during transit...... and he was a close to 200 miles from the plant. So, what are your shipping/ delivery stories? Give me something to read while I pass the time.....

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Rail is the cheapest way to ship cars, especially in bulk. I suspect GM ships by rail to regional distribution centers and then uses car carrier trucks from there to the dealerships.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
I am feeling happy today ! now I think I need to ask Ob a ? . How are you doing man ?
not a lot of good news coming out of Colorado . I hope that you and all of the people affected by the floods are well and receive any and all possible Aid .

God Bless .

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Fortunately I live on top of a hill on the southwest side of Denver. This is similar to the 1965 flooding hit downtown Denver and lead to Cherry Creek, Chatfield, and Bear Creek flood control dams. It's on a different set of rivers though and I don't know if the political will still exists to deal with these rivers, which have a history of small flooding. Bear Creek Dam is catching some of this water or it would be worse than it is.

I drove through three of the cities (Boulder, Lyons, and Estes Park) just a couple of weeks ago. It's going to be interesting to see how the rebuilding is paid for. Most of the areas being flooded are not considered flood zones and therefore don't have mandatory Federal flood insurance. Some of the property that's been destroyed is on the sides of mountains and the destruction is the direct result of massive amounts of rain water dislodging boulders. About 150 square miles of Colorado along the South Platte river have been declared a disaster zone. The rain is supposed to continue until tomorrow night.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think factory ordered cruzes take 4-6 weeks to be delivered.
4-6 weeks from the time you place your order is the average. Mine was built on the 11th of this month. Now it is waiting for shipping. I see 4 week delivery times for the west coast like California. I am along the east coast, in GA. I hope for a quick delivery. Like 1 to 2 weeks tops.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Rail is the cheapest way to ship cars, especially in bulk. I suspect GM ships by rail to regional distribution centers and then uses car carrier trucks from there to the dealerships.
You r correct.
Basically the ordered cars r on a lot until enough orders are in to fill a min. Number of cars to be shipped to a region ( set by the rail company to make it profitable). Then they sit on another lot until a local truck has enough ordered cars to fill a route or a dealership orders enough cars to fill a truck.. That's how it works for gm anyways...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Looking a new car prices on the web today, latest trick is to leave off the transportation charges to your dealer.

Trick last spring, saw 2012 Silverados on the net for $10,000 off the sticker price, wife always wanted one, don't know why, but $10,000 off seemed attractive. No way, needed a 1999 or newer GM truck to trade in, didn't have one, but the deal was they would give you another $2,500 on the trade in. Neighbor tried this, offered him $7,000 less that what the blue book value was on this truck to get an extra $2,500 off.

Bottom line for us with a cash price, would only get $3,000 off, ad didn't say up to $10,000 off, just said $10,000 off, tried several other Chevy dealers, same deal, any lie to get you in the door like we are totally stupid.

Truck prices are way up now as is honesty, only offering $1,500 off. But another white lie from my GM card, got a letter, another $1,500 off my best price, but that $1,500 is already included in that discount. Called GM card on this issue, its not an extra $1,500 off, was given some dumb excuse, brain wouldn't even accept what they said.

Both my wife and I get 55 cents a mile for business use, one good reason to buy a Cruze, but with over 4 bucks a gallon for gas, not easy to even break even. IRS is living in the old days.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Rail is definitely a cheaper route. I'm not sure of the mileage cutoffs, but I'm sure it's determined by mileage from both the plant and the nearest distribution center. My Cruze was originally delivered to a dealer right there in Youngstown, so it was delivered from Lordstown to the dealer by truck.

Cassens Transport is the company to haul every Cruze out of the plant. I'm not sure where the nearest rail yard is, but I didn't see it on the Lordstown campus.

I think the biggest problem with rail transport is the rail yard delay. The plants don't have much space to hold inventory, so they have to move it out ASAP. My dad just took delivery of a new MKZ and through my contacts at Ford, I got a tracking report on it. It was built in Hermosillo, MX on 8/13. It was released by the plant 8/14 and left on a railcar on 8/15. It was scanned in at various Union Pacific points in AZ, NM, TX, KS, IA, IL, IN, and MI before arriving at the Detroit distribution center on 8/26. The car then had to make a 5 hour journey north from the railyard, which took until 9/5 for the dealer to receive.

All in all, I thought the process was pretty quick considering the distance it had to travel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts