Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Shocks

1701 13
I noticed a small wet spot on the garage floor that doesn't dry up. Upon further inspection the drivers side rear shock is wet. I assume they're oil shocks, thought most shocks these days are gas. My cruze is 2013 with 25,000 miles on her.
I thought this to be unusual for so few miles. How much do shocks cost?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,805 Posts
They're cheap. For some reason the right rear ones have been a common issue with early Cruzes. I don't know why that one in particular.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
You don't have many miles. But you do have the years.

It's possible the seals dried out.

I bought a 78 buick skylark in 94. 16 year old car with just over 60k miles. I could drive it for short trips. But when i tried to go to vegas the first weekend i owned the car. I only made it 50 miles when D gear stopped working. LImped it back home in second gear. Pulled transmission out and went to AAmco. They had a rebuilt waiting to be sold.

I wouldn't have thought the trans would have failed at only 60k miles. But apparently seals don't last forever.

·
Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I noticed a small wet spot on the garage floor that doesn't dry up. Upon further inspection the drivers side rear shock is wet. I assume they're oil shocks, thought most shocks these days are gas. My cruze is 2013 with 25,000 miles on her.
I thought this to be unusual for so few miles. How much do shocks cost?
They are gas shocks but that means they have a gas chamber under slight pressure, (like a itty bitty air bag) in place where shocks of old just had air above the oil chambers.
The actual damping has always been the same, ie, oil being forced through small orifices as the shock compresses and extends.
The reasoning behind the divorced gas and oil is to prevent the oil from foaming as it did with the old style shocks.

In this case, the oil seal has failed and the slight internal pressure is pushing the oil past the seal where the shaft enters the shock body.
Normal for right side shock failures to precede the left (in the USA) because the right side of the road is where most potholes reside.

Good news is shocks are inexpensive and easy to change (for the DIY crowd)......armed with the original part number you can even get factory shocks (folks who do this do so to prevent changing the ride characteristics) off the web.
Always replace shocks in pairs (friendly reminder for those not sure).

Rob

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Come to think of it my 2003 S-10 with 146,000 miles still has the original shocks.
I bet those puppies are worn out. Shocks don't last that long. Least, they didn't use too. Maybe they've improved for longer life.

As for minor job. It mmight be more major then you think. There's another member posted yesterday. He's having a very difficult time getting the bolt out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet those puppies are worn out. Shocks don't last that long. Least, they didn't use too. Maybe they've improved for longer life.

As for minor job. It mmight be more major then you think. There's another member posted yesterday. He's having a very difficult time getting the bolt out.
I guess I'll find out. My cruze has hardly any rust, so unless the bolt/nut is difficult to get to there shouldn't be much of a problem. The issue I see is doing it in my driveway. I'll probably have to pull the tire to make the shock more accessible. We shall see. I looked up the price and one shock is $50-$60 bucks, more than I thought.

I'm sure the shocks on my S-10 do need replacing now that would be a rusty tough job. Years ago I used a 4" grinder to change the front shocks on my blazer. Much easier to cut the old rusted stud off with a grinder than to fight the rust for 1"-2" of thread.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I guess you could say thats "shocking" lol. Have you looked on Rock Auto? If I recall, the rear OEM shocks for the Cruze are dirt cheap. Don't forget to find a 5 percent off code if you order from them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,470 Posts
Yup right here but I wouldn't say dirt cheap. I'll probably buy a few more oil filters while I'm at it.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...harged,3000993,suspension,shock+absorber,7556
I took a look at the OE rear shocks from GM......yikes! about $80.00 each, however.......they are marketed with the upper mount bracket already installed.
Kind of weird unless the cast aluminum bracket is often corroding away.
Report how your brackets look when you change them.......I'm nosey.

Rob

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a look at the OE rear shocks from GM......yikes! about $80.00 each, however.......they are marketed with the upper mount bracket already installed.
Kind of weird unless the cast aluminum bracket is often corroding away.
Report how your brackets look when you change them.......I'm nosey.

Rob
Will do. I'm going to take a good look at the shock to make sure I have what I need to do the job and to make sure I order the right shock with or without the mounting bracket. I noticed on rock auto some shocks show a bracket and some don't. Nothing worse than starting the job then finding out you need to go get another part to completed it when your car is on jack stands. ugh..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.