Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new here, my family is considering buying a Corolla or Cruze.
I hope that I don't offend anybody and moderator here.
I research for our needs.
It's for my wife, who only drives local 90% of the time.
We ask three mechanics, they all suggested Corolla.
first our needs: just a simple go to work car, 12 miles round trip, no highway, in Tampa Florida, we don't need USB Port, Garmin GPS is a lot cheaper than GM navigation.
After reading these forum, Cruze has
1. transmissions issue, big no no, a 100 year old car company and still has transmission issue,
2. smelly radiator water, because tank near firewall sucking fume in to driver.
3. does anybody honestly talk about burning oil, oil leak in the engine, oil gasket leak
4. seriously, anybody suggests that bring the car back to the dealer, is stupid, we have to go to work to pay bills, the last place is go back to the dealer waiting room.
unless you don't have to pay monthly bill or rent.

Corollas and Camry have very good transmission, i know that it is my opinion but mechanics also told us that. they may have electrical issue but not transmission.
Talk about basic things, do not talk about USB port, navigation, LINK, who cares go get a BMW or Mercedes if you need those to drive.

Now, can anybody comments the plus and minus between Cruze and Corolla? because I am looking to buy in about two months.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My first thought is to tell you to go test drive both of them...then come back here. Seriously...there's NO way I would even consider a Corolla after driving a Cruze. To me, they are not even in the same class as far as comfort, options, looks and so on.

Like with most things that come out new..the first year there's a few problems to be worked out. That's what happened with the Cruze. If you'll look, the Trans problems and water pump, or at least from all that I have read, are mostly on the 2011's. But I have to say, I have the 2011 and have had NO problems with anything on my Cruze. It runs/rides like a Dream.

Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up though before you even made this post.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,603 Posts
The Corolla is outdated with an antiqued 4 speed transmission, unrefined engine dating back to 1999, and a horrible interior. The Cruze is 10000x better to drive and feels like much less of an appliance. Drive both back to back and I guarantee you'll walk away impressed with the Chevys interior and driving dynamics.

Please note that you're on a forum and any forum you visit - yes, even Toyota's - I'm on one for our Camry too - will have lots of people with issues with their cars. This is just a very small percentage of overall drivers, and they are usually driven to forums because they have problems. So don't let the number of posts about something trick you when they are all of that demographic.

The Cruze LS or 1LT, if you are looking for a city driver, would probably be what you're looking for with an automatic. 2012-2013 transmissions were redesigned and much improved. The 2011 was atrocious, so avoid it. Those cars will range from $16-19000. I highly recommend the 1.4T in the LT for fuel economy and performance reasons, but the LS does make more budgetary sense.

An LE Camry, on the other hand, can be got for around $19,000 and offers the same fuel economy as a Corolla, and is very pleasant to drive (for a Toyota). It has a 6 speed automatic, downright peppy 2.5 4 cylinder, and a fantastic interior. Toyota is also offering 0% financing and several rebates on the Camry right now. I believe GM was also on the Cruze, but only on outgoing 2012
Models if you can still find one.

I was actually between the Camry and Cruze for my purchase of a car, and both are great cars for different reasons. I would recommend leaving the Corolla out of any decision whatsoever.

FWIW, I ended up with a Cruze, and my other half ended up with the Camry.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
155 Posts
It seems like your mind is already made up.

Not everyone has the issues that get brought up here. In fact most don't

I was looking at Corolla also and the Cruze filled my needs better. So far at 2 months and 3000 miles it's been great. I have not been back to the dealer.

My needs are different from yours - much longer commute and some things you don't care about are important to me.

Drive them both and see what works best for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Despite all the bad things you see around here about the automatic transmission, I have experienced none of it. In auto it shifts up and down when it needs perfectly. It doesn't slam into gear. In "manual mode" the car listens to my input and immediately switches, no lag.

Keep in mind a lot of what you have read pertains to the 2011 model year. Mine is a 2012, and I have experienced none of the issues you have read.

- DROID RAZR MAXX.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was also considering the Corolla when I was looking for a new car.I test drove a 2012 and in my opinion the Corolla doesn't even compare with the Cruze.My impression with the Corolla was that it is underpowered and the front seats are very uncomfortable.It felt like very old technology to me.
My wife and I both have 2012 Cruze LT automatics and have had no problems.
In my opinion the Cruze rides much better,is more comfortable and feels like a more up to date car.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
4. seriously, anybody suggests that bring the car back to the dealer, is stupid, we have to go to work to pay bills, the last place is go back to the dealer waiting room.
Sorry, but I'm going to say this statement... is stupid. You're hoping not to offend anyone here, but you have a statement like that? :1poke:

First reason. Warranty. You don't really have a choice, and dealers(most) have the most professional technicians around. You're against taking your new car to the dealer? Good luck getting it fixed at your 'independent' shop, and paying for parts, that independent shops can't even get, and service that are free of charge at your dealership. How are your bills now?

Second. If you're implying that you 'don't have time' to go to the dealer, let me explain how my service department works. We have a shuttle van. You show up at 7:30 to drop your vehicle off before work at 8, we'll take you to your place of employment, and either pick you back up or deliver your finished car to you. Every dealer should have a shuttle vehicle, so there's no excuse for 'not having time'.

Now that I cleared up your dealership bashing, I'm going to side with XtremeAaron. The newer Cruzes have the bugs worked out of them, just like any vehicle will. I'm sure we could go on the Camry and Corolla forums and find problems on the same page as ours. Nothing is perfect.

Don't be so quick to judge, GM wouldn't have sold over 650,000 Cruzes if they weren't good vehicles. Heck, there were categories the Cruze was compared to Cadillac and even Lexus.

Do your research, choose wisely. Good luck.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Hi
I am new here, my family is considering buying a Corolla or Cruze.
I hope that I don't offend anybody and moderator here.
I research for our needs.
It's for my wife, who only drives local 90% of the time.
We ask three mechanics, they all suggested Corolla.
first our needs: just a simple go to work car, 12 miles round trip, no highway, in Tampa Florida, we don't need USB Port, Garmin GPS is a lot cheaper than GM navigation.
After reading these forum, Cruze has
1. transmissions issue, big no no, a 100 year old car company and still has transmission issue,
2. smelly radiator water, because tank near firewall sucking fume in to driver.
3. does anybody honestly talk about burning oil, oil leak in the engine, oil gasket leak

Corollas and Camry have very good transmission, i know that it is my opinion but mechanics also told us that. they may have electrical issue but not transmission.
Talk about basic things, do not talk about USB port, navigation, LINK, who cares go get a BMW or Mercedes if you need those to drive.

Now, can anybody comments the plus and minus between Cruze and Corolla? because I am looking to buy in about two months.
I don't think anyone is going to ban you for asking questions. I know I won't. You want the best car you can get.

After looking at your driving habits and based on your price range, I'd go with a Prius. If you're willing to spend more, get a Volt. Now onto your questions -

1> This was a 2011 model year issue. It was a brand new transmission and the problems don't appear to be mechanical, but in the software. The reason I say this is because the Trifecta tune eliminates the transmission shifting issues.

2> Again - predominately a 2011 model year issue.

3> All manufacturers have this type of issue to some degree or another. Although the ICE engine is a reasonbly mature technology, the engine in today's cars aren't the same as the engines in earlier generations of cars. The technology is constantly evolving. Toyota screwed up the mechanical portions of the throttle in the mid-2000's by making it possible for a loose floor mat to stick the throttle in the down position. That's not even engine technology but basic mechanical and human engineering. If I were a professor of mechanical engineering and I had a student make that type of mistake on a project, I'd fail that project, regardless of how good the rest of the project was.

4> Any dealership worth their name will have a free shuttle to get you to and from work. Unless you work really odd hours, which based on the congestion during rush hour, is somewhat unlikely, you can drop your car off at the dealership, catch their shuttle and get to work on time. You can then have the shuttle pick you up after work to go get your car. You will eventually need to use this service even if you have zero problems as eventually the car will get to a point where it needs one of the major routine services. Regardless of car, the dealership can make or break the ownership experience.

Remember one thing as you browse CruzeTalk - there are over half a million Lordstown built Cruzen on the road today. Forums such as CruzeTalk tend to show the worst of the lot because many people will come here to complain. People who don't have any issues are not as likely to show up here unless they are car enthusiasts of some form.

Go test drive, but don't limit yourself to just the Corolla and Cruze. Test drive other makes and models as well. You may discover a car you wouldn't have thought about without the test drive will end up being the car you decide to purchase.

For the record, in addition to the two Cruzen in my sig, which both my son (Penguin LS MT) and I (ECO MT) love, my wife owns a Toyota Solara SLE Convertible which she absolutely loves.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Agreed with the points made here.

The current-generation Corolla is using decidedly old (and well-proven) technology. It's a very well known quantity, and is generally quite reliable. The Cruze is proving itself to be fairly reliable, if a bit quirky at times like the previous GM cars I've driven/owned/maintained.

Another factor to consider is maintenance costs, and the Corolla "ought to" have lower maintenance costs. While both cars require synthetic oil (the Cruze technically requires dexos1 oil, which is much better as a full synthetic), the Corolla's engine is just fine going 10k miles/1 year on an oil change. The Cruze's 1.4 turbo engine will need the oil changed at 7500 miles or 25% left on the oil life monitor, whichever comes first. Depending on which trim of Corolla you're looking at, the 15" tires on the base Corolla will be cheaper than the 16" tires on the Cruze. The optional 16" tires will be within a few dollars of each other.

Feature-wise, it's a wash. Price-wise, it's likely a wash too.

I'd drive both cars and see which one you like better. I'd also go to the dealers you'd likely get the cars serviced at while under warranty, and see which one gives you the warm fuzzies. Ask your friends/family/co-workers about their experiences at each dealer, too. Dealers can make or break an ownership experience, so having a good dealer is essential. There are great dealers and poor dealers for Toyota and Chevrolet.

For support, this board is a pretty decent and welcoming place, and we have a lot of knowledge about problems and their fixes. So if you do end up with a Cruze, even if you mainly "lurk", we're glad to have you!

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not make up my mind, we will buy one car in two months.
no we don't need financing or 0% ad
all we care about is quality, quality and reliability.
we will not look at Prius because wife does not like it, the body is lower and we are in an area that when it rains, the city street is flooded.
wife thinks about Corolla and I want to take a chance to look at Cruze and I hope that the reliability is good or I have to listen for the next ten years.

Sciphi: "It's a very well known quantity, and is generally quite reliable. The Cruze is proving itself to be fairly reliable."
this statement concerns me the most.
On the Cruze, even 2013 model the antifreeze overflow tank still at the same location, that is the smelly fume is still vent into the driver's nose/face.
I wish that the engineering department moves the overflow tank, not a chance.

Can anybody confirm that the transmission issue is resolved for 2012 or 2013 model?

any reliability data, independent organization, I know may be not enough years on the road to ask for reliability data.
I used to own a dodge caravan, and the info on the forum are exactly correct, "Mitsubishi engine burnt oil, transmission died" I will not return to Dodge.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I don't have the antifreeze smell in either of my 2012 Cruzen. It appears GM moved the air intake to the opposite side of the engine compartment, making for a shorter air path to the cabin air filter in the process. There are members here who have in excess of 60,000 miles on their Cruzen and have no problems. My understanding from posts here is that there is a considerable improvement from 2011 to 2012 in the automatic transmission. Since, as I posted earlier, people who have the Trifecta Tune don't have the transmission problems in their 2011s, the 2011 AT problems are in the software and not the hardware.

Even Consumer Reports, whom many of the members, myself included, really dislike for invalid data collection, finally came out and said the 2012 Cruze is far better than the 2011. They did this several months after they said they weren't going to retest the 2012 Cruze because there "were no significant changes from 2011".

You would be looking at the 2013, so there have been two model years to work the component design and assembly line problems out.

·
17,603 Posts
we will not look at Prius because wife does not like it, the body is lower and we are in an area that when it rains, the city street is flooded.
wife thinks about Corolla and I want to take a chance to look at Cruze and I hope that the reliability is good or I have to listen for the next ten years.

Sciphi: "It's a very well known quantity, and is generally quite reliable. The Cruze is proving itself to be fairly reliable."
On the Cruze, even 2013 model the antifreeze overflow tank still at the same location, that is the smelly fume is still vent into the driver's nose/face.

Can anybody confirm that the transmission issue is resolved for 2012 or 2013 model?

any reliability data, independent organization, I know may be not enough years on the road to ask for reliability data.
I used to own a dodge caravan, and the info on the forum are exactly correct, "Mitsubishi engine burnt oil, transmission died" I will not return to Dodge.
95% of us on the forum alone - here for car-trouble related stuff - have never had a problem with the coolant overflow tank.

The transmissions are indeed better for the 2012 models. The 2011 was insanely confused; a 2012 I drove when comparing 2012 Cruze models was much, much better.

You bought a Dodge, of course it was terrible. They've been terrible for 20 years.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Has anyone noticed an antifreeze smell in their Cruze? I have a 2013 and I don't smell antifreeze. Has this been a well documented issue? All antifreeze overflow tanks are in a hot part of the engine on all cars. So you would think that would be a problem on all cars.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The antifreeze smell is most prevalent in the 2011s. There is a rather lengthy thread here about it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The antifreeze smell is most prevalent in the 2011s. There is a rather lengthy thread here about it.
Sometimes, you're better off not knowing what can hurt you. I'm very sensitive to smells, so an antifreeze smell would be quite disturbing. I have a 2013 Cruze. Have there been any issues with the antifreeze smell on 2013 Cruzes? I haven't noticed any foreign smells in my Cruze except the smell of a new car. Is the antifreeze smell very noticeable?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Yes it is.

·
17,603 Posts
You'll be able to notice. I've had a leaky heater core and radiator hoses explode on other cars. It's a very distinctive smell that's quite hard to get rid of once it gets on something.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
one more question, a few people here recommended me to test drive the car.
How do you really test drive any car at the dealer? this is a serious question
I am too shy to really drive a new car that is not mine.
Don't laugh please, when I drove a new car at the dealer, I drove around the parking lot, on another time, I drove about 2 blocks and very carefully.
It is almost a joke, to say this is a test drive.
The "NEW" car intimidated me, I was too afraid to hurt it.
How do you people with lots more experiences test drive a NEW car? do you feel the same as I feel, too much "respect" for NEW car.
How many miles do you test drive? will the salesperson angry at you? it is a test drive, there is no guarantee that you have to buy.
if it is my brand new car, I will not let anybody test drive my NEW car.
test drive a NEW car is a joke, not many people really put more than 2 miles, so how do you know in less than 5 or 10 miles? the whole life of a car
look for experienced people to tell us how to really test drive, the anti freeze smell test, the transmission etc...
the transmission issue will not be known unless you drive a few hundred miles to let the car know your driving habit/style. Too late to say no I don't buy at this time.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
There are hundreds of Corollas out there with 200k+ miles on them and few reported issues. There are not Cruzes with 200k+ miles on them yet, at least in the US. The most mileage I know about on a Cruze is about 80k miles on a 2012 Eco MT, and that car has had no reported issues. My own Cruze has 40k miles on it, and the few minor issues it's had have been well-documented on here. So it's building a good track record, but does not have a 4-5 year history yet like the current-generation Corolla has.

For what it's worth, the Corolla is consistently among CR's very reliable cars, while the Cruze is so far average in their reliability rankings. Both are recommended since they both scored high enough and have at least average reliability. Although my wife would rank her Fit as far more reliable than my Cruze, even though I've had to do a lot more work on her Fit than on my Cruze, such as frequent ATF flushes and yearly brake adjustments/cleanings that require disassembling the front brakes to re-lube thanks to cruddy design. It gets her to work and doesn't make any funny noises, so it's reliable to her. So, reliability is very much in the eye of the beholder.

I've had zero issues with the antifreeze on mine, aside from it being a little low and staying low.

To test drive, make it clear that you have your choices narrowed down to a few models, and are out looking to see which one fits you better before making a decision on which one to buy. Most sales folks will be more than happy to let you test drive for a bit, say 5-10 miles of city streets and highway if one's convenient. They can smell a sale, and a test drive just might help seal the deal. When I was test-driving cars before buying my Cruze, the sales folks I worked with suggested routes that showed what the car could do over all sorts of surfaces, corners, and at different speeds for about 5-10 miles. I was encouraged on several occasions to give the car a lot of throttle to see how it sounded and accelerated when pushed hard. Don't be afraid of driving the car, but do treat it with respect since it might be yours soon! Drive it with some spirit, and don't go ape on it. I was told to gently flog an Eco MT uphill, and that helped sell me on the car, seeing how effortlessly it scampered up a hill that my previous and then-current cars all struggled getting up.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I test drove Cruzen at two different dealers at two different times. Both times, the salesman went with me and I asked him where I should go. I just drove it as I normally would- I wasn't particularly hard on it- I did keep in mind it is a new car that someone will buy. The salesmen had me take a route that I'd estimate was 5 miles long. Basically went in a big circle around the dealer using main roads.

That said, funny story. The first dealer I went to, the salesman encouraged me to get on it a couple times. At one point, I pulled out onto a five lane rural highway from a small country two lane. I pulled out, and some jerk in a Durango right behind me saw the opportunity/opening and decided to go for it too. Well, he squeaked his tires in doing so. I could tell I didn't spin the ones on the Cruze, but I think the salesman wondered. We both kinda laughed it off. Now that I've had a chance to get on my own Cruze a few times, I don't think the traction control, etc. would allow me to squeak the tires at all. And both times were BGM LTZs, so they had the very grippy Michelins on them.

That second dealer is a pretty good dealer and known in the area, and the salesman tried to push the sale even after I had my Cruze. I would have bought from them if they weren't four hours away. I was just up that way for the weekend and looking for something to do on a Saturday, so I went to test drive a Cruze and Focus for the first time.

It is hard to tell if there's anything wrong with the car in a test drive. Unless you really know what you're looking for and can spot some flaws, you can find some issues, but most things will come out (if they come out) after you get some miles on it. I don't think any reasonable test drive could bring out any type of coolant issue or other hidden flaw on a new car. Even the trans will be very unpredictable on a new car since it has no significant information bank to draw on to figure out what to do. This is exactly why we have warranties and lemon laws- to protect the consumer in case there is a problem with the car.

I wanted my particular car with the exact options it has and I didn't want to order a 2013. When they got it in from the dealer trade, I had them bring in a paintless dent removal guy to fix a few small dents on the hood and I also made them fix some scratches on the trunk from the removal of a previous dealer's dealer sticker. Of course I had the option decline the car and have them try to find another or order a new one, but they fixed both issues to my satisfaction. Buying any new car is a risk, but if you are very particular, then you just need to know how to look it over in great detail to find any cosmetic and minor mechanical flaws. Just look everything over as good as you can and test every minor thing you can in addition to the test drive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts