Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

what Transmission do you have and Are you interested in a short shifter

• Total voters
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting thread.

I'm a new Cruze owner (one month) and although the linkage isn't too bad, I would like it tighter and shorter. I had a TWM shifter on my Cobalt, and it was the best mod I made to the car bar none. With a good short shifter, you have more "feel" and you can shift quicker, without slamming the shifter into the next gear. A good short shifter is all about finesse, not some ham-fisted clown trying to speed shift for that extra tenth of a second, (and destroying transmissions in the process).

·
Registered
24 Posts
If TWM would make a STS for the cruze i would buy it in a heartbeat TWM makes excellent parts

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I researched that one. It is also sold by BNR.

Although it obviously shortens the throws by shortening the pivot point at the transmission, but I wonder how much sloppiness is in the shifter mechanism itself? Having a shorter throw, only solves half the issue. There have been a few threads about the possibility of installing Sonic bushings, but I only found one thread where someone actually did it, and iirc the poster had to dremel and modify parts to get the bushings installed. I don't recall there being a followup post whether the bushings were beneficial or not (but I may be wrong).

·
Registered
639 Posts
I researched that one. It is also sold by BNR.

Although it obviously shortens the throws by shortening the pivot point at the transmission, but I wonder how much sloppiness is in the shifter mechanism itself? Having a shorter throw, only solves half the issue. There have been a few threads about the possibility of installing Sonic bushings, but I only found one thread where someone actually did it, and iirc the poster had to dremel and modify parts to get the bushings installed. I don't recall there being a followup post whether the bushings were beneficial or not (but I may be wrong).
Why buy from BNR for almost $50 more instead of buying direct from the manufacture?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're correct. I was only stating that the 2013+ is also available from BNR in case some may prefer to purchase from a local source, rather than overseas. For us Canadians, purchasing direct is a definite advantage.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts