Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overheard a conversation about Diesel Fuel Gelling and decided to look it up.
Quote from Google search: "At 32 degrees, the wax in liquid form will crystallize and leave the fuel tank clouded. At 10-15 degrees, it will finally start to gel and clog the tank and fuel filters."

Living in Canada, it can get much colder than that during the overnight hours and throughout the day. So my question is, should I be using an additive? I got my CTD last August and went through last winter with some -25 Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit) days and nights with no problems (at least none that made themselves known).

Anyone else live in the colder areas that have been/have not been using this?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Never used an additive. Temp got down to -9F once and everything was fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It all depends on where you buy your fuel! If from a busy station that sees alot of action with diesel then you should be fine. If the turn over is not great I would use a additive. I would think that in Canada you should be fine they are used to really cold temp's in the winter and make sure there fuel is set up for the temp's.
Now I do not have a Cruze I have a 2002 Golf TDI and have been thinking of picking up a Cruze Diesel. Sorry to hear that I will have to wait until 2017 now, also don't think that things are fine at the VW dealers most of them are clueless when it comes to TDI'S you need to fix your own if you want it to run long and well.
wbill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts