Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking at buying a 2019 Chev Cruze Hatchback rs, and I’m just wondering if I should. It’s a discontinued car and the selling price from the dealer is $24,000. I was told today that the car I’m looking at buying was sold before and the previous owner had it for 3 weeks before returning it back to the dealership because she was having issues with it. Power steering had gone on her and issues with the power windows and the dealer didn’t tell me any of this.. should I still buy this car?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is there a reason you’re drawn to the Cruze in particular? If it’s not a car you specifically really want, I personally wouldn’t. I have a 2018 hatchback diesel with the manual trans and although it’s been a really nice car, I’ve had an issue with it driving poorly for the last almost 20,000 miles and after 4 dealerships and 2 years of trying, I’ve given up and just live with it.

My issue is more with Chevy and less with the car. I’m sure it’s a simple fix but it’s impossible finding a dealership willing to do some real detective work.

I’d say that if you have a very trustworthy dealership and specifically love the car itself, go for it. But what really really worries me is the fact the car came back to the dealership in such a short amount of time with issues. Which possibly means they tried fixing it, it still didn’t work properly, and the customer was so fed up with things that they wanted to sever ties. The level of trust i have in the dealerships competence to fix things is very, very low

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have a 2018 Cruze Hatch RS. Just turned 64k miles tonight. I really like it.
You need to be honest about how you drive. If you have a long commute, and don't often go on short drives, or live in stop and go traffic, the car will most likely be great. My lifetime fuel economy is over 35mpg.

If you live 3 miles from work, and never go anywhere more than 10 miles away, and are always in traffic or at stop lights....you're not going to be happy with the potential failures that can arise from treating a Cruze in that fashion.youd be better off with a Corolla or a Civic (comparable cars that have non turbo engines)

I personally think 24,000 is probably a little high, but if it comes with the additional certified used warranty, or you can get them to throw in a nice long term policy it can be a great little car. It's likely to get you lots of compliments, mine does, most people don't even k ow what they are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a reason you’re drawn to the Cruze in particular? If it’s not a car you specifically really want, I personally wouldn’t. I have a 2018 hatchback diesel with the manual trans and although it’s been a really nice car, I’ve had an issue with it driving poorly for the last almost 20,000 miles and after 4 dealerships and 2 years of trying, I’ve given up and just live with it.

My issue is more with Chevy and less with the car. I’m sure it’s a simple fix but it’s impossible finding a dealership willing to do some real detective work.

I’d say that if you have a very trustworthy dealership and specifically love the car itself, go for it. But what really really worries me is the fact the car came back to the dealership in such a short amount of time with issues. Which possibly means they tried fixing it, it still didn’t work properly, and the customer was so fed up with things that they wanted to sever ties. The level of trust i have in the dealerships competence to fix things is very, very low

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Don't be concerned about the discontinued status of it. Most dealers are very knowledgeable about the gas versions, and it's not a "unique" product, all of the things that make it a Chevy are very similar to other Chevys. It's not a vehicle like the City Express van that's actually a Nissan, and Chevy techs don't understand it. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really just like the look of the car and I think it’s the best looking hatchback out there..lol. I really would like to know if $24,000 is worth it for that car that had already had some issues.. can the dealer go lower on the price?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really just like the look of the car and I think it’s the best looking hatchback out there..lol. I really would like to know if $24,000 is worth it for that car that had already had some issues.. can the dealer go lower on the price?
I would say they could go much much lower, it might be a 2019 but it’s technically a used car. It’s already been owned. I would bring them down as far as you can. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say they could go much much lower, it might be a 2019 but it’s technically a used car. It’s already been owned. I would bring them down as far as you can. Best of luck!
I just don’t know how much more I should try to get them down on price?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just don’t know how much more I should try to get them down on price?
How many miles does the car have and what kind of warranty can they include? It’s “last years model” (which I don’t find a bad thing, but could help for negotiating) so I might say I’d try to get it for $20,000.

I don’t know! Maybe much less. I’m admittedly a terrible negotiator, this isn’t my strong point but I trust someone else will chime in

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If it's GM certified it's worth more than if it's not. You should find out when the vehicle was originally purchased, this is the date the factory warranties started.

24 isn't outrageous, but we def need to know the mileage.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'd say that $21k is probably a fair price for a very low mileage 19 RS.
Getting to $20k or less might be hard. But you never know til you try

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many miles does the car have and what kind of warranty can they include? It’s “last years model” (which I don’t find a bad thing, but could help for negotiating) so I might say I’d try to get it for $20,000.

I don’t know! Maybe much less. I’m admittedly a terrible negotiator, this isn’t my strong point but I trust someone else will chime in
Lol I’d love if they could go to 20,000. The warranty is not bad.
I'd say that $21k is probably a fair price for a very low mileage 19 RS.
Getting to $20k or less might be hard. But you never know til you try
i believe the car only had just under 1000km.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
$24K Canadian = $18,200 USD.

Reactions: Diamond193

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Cruze RS Hatchback
11 Posts
honestly it might be a good deal but if someone has had problems with it then i would just keep looking if its going to bother you day to day i paid 17k canadian for mine but it was a rental and needs paint work rn 35000km(also confirmed minor accident) but otherwise its a similar 2019 hatchback rs not sure what features it has on the one your looking at

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
333 Posts

Yea I was thinkn the same thing to 20 grand

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Less than 1000km....and it canadian pesos we are dealing with? I'd say $24k is already probably a good price.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
If you lived in this area you could expect to pay $13,194 to $15,533 USD for a used 2019 Hatchback according to KBB. A quick look showed 5 in Arizona, two priced at $13K on KBB

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Technically it's not last years model. It's 2 yeats old..the 21s are rolling out now.

Maybe.

I don't know how things are playing out now with the pandemic.

Do a carfax report and see what it says for repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Cruze Hatch RS. Just turned 64k miles tonight. I really like it.
You need to be honest about how you drive. If you have a long commute, and don't often go on short drives, or live in stop and go traffic, the car will most likely be great. My lifetime fuel economy is over 35mpg.

If you live 3 miles from work, and never go anywhere more than 10 miles away, and are always in traffic or at stop lights....you're not going to be happy with the potential failures that can arise from treating a Cruze in that fashion.youd be better off with a Corolla or a Civic (comparable cars that have non turbo engines)

I personally think 24,000 is probably a little high, but if it comes with the additional certified used warranty, or you can get them to throw in a nice long term policy it can be a great little car. It's likely to get you lots of compliments, mine does, most people don't even k ow what they are.
I agree with all that you've said. Admittedly I have the premier version hatchback but, regardless, I have a long commute most days, work at several different places and occasionally take it on long drives and my 2017 Premier model hatchback works fine and I have little to no problems with it. Additionally, the price does seem uncommonly high. I purchased mine used for just about 16,000. Again I do have a different model, but I wouldn't expect the RS version to be much more expensive than the premier.

·
Administrator
25,589 Posts
No. The answer isn't so much about the car but about the dealership's lack of candor. If they're treating you this way pre-sale consider how they'll treat you post-sale.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts