Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are probably thinking what idiot does not know how to change own oil (LOL). My dilemma(if you call it one). I bought my 2013 LT from a dealer that offers free lifetime mechanical warranty. That is as long as they know about/do all the scheduled maintenance. I am at the point of an oil change and I am debating do it myself or take it back to them to pay an "premium" price for an oil change/tire rotation. Sure it means a little less work on me, but is it worth the inconvenience to go to their shop which is @ 20 miles from my house and pay a dealership I am not sure I trust anyway for something I most likely will not use. You guys know my record when it comes to ownership and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Call the dealer first so you don't void the warranty. I'm sure they are going to want to do it just for the simple fact that they can make some $$$ to pay for potential repairs from the warranty they promised you.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
That is a lot of time wasted for an oil change. Better to do it yourself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you do start doing it on your own, take pics of the oil life monitor and mileage, photocopy receipt of both oil and filter. I go the extra mile and take a pic of the actual oil and filter before changing. I agree with above and the dealer will probably want you to bring it in to keep the warranty. BS in my opinion... oil changes aren't rocket science. Just keep documentation to protect yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If you do start doing it on your own, take pics of the oil life monitor and mileage, photocopy receipt of both oil and filter. I go the extra mile and take a pic of the actual oil and filter before changing. I agree with above and the dealer will probably want you to bring it in to keep the warranty. BS in my opinion... oil changes aren't rocket science. Just keep documentation to protect yourself. Good luck.
I agree but either way is a PITA.
Better keep the dated receipts too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Read the fine print of your warranty. If it says they must do it to honor it, then you don't have much choice. You made that choice when you bought the car.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Only you would know what the "Lifetime mechanical warranty" consists of. Did they give you paperwork with what it might cover, this could be very valuable. How much can a once or twice a year Oil Change possibly cost? My dealer is 30 miles away, plus I had to wait 3 hours last week but when I left I felt good because these are the people I need to see while using the GMPP

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Usually the stipulation with those dealer "lifetime warranties" is "if you have the maintenance done here".

Basically a way for them to pad their own pockets in the relatively rare (although, maybe not for a Cruze) situation something goes wrong in the ~4-6 years most first owners keep a car.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
There was only one dealer in my city, of over one million people, that offered the lifetime guarantee thing. GM pulled their dealership during the cull in 2009. Their lifetime warranty isn’t worth the paper it was written on. YMMV

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The flip side of having the dealership change your oil is you get to see how they handle the simple, routine stuff a car needs. You can also talk to the techs and service writers and build a relationship with them. These two simple things can come in real handy when you have a problem that you can't fix yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The flip side of having the dealership change your oil is you get to see how they handle the simple, routine stuff a car needs. You can also talk to the techs and service writers and build a relationship with them. These two simple things can come in real handy when you have a problem that you can't fix yourself.
I think if you have a moderate to major issue with your cruze having a positive relationship with dealer may be beneficial when you need them to be your advocate. My dealer will change my oil and let me bring oil in for $20. Especially when it’s cold outside, I will let them do it. Yesterday I worked 15.5 hours, I do t always want to fuss with doing an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called to inquire about locations etc. and I got the biggest sales pitch for taking my car in for this $55 oil change and rotation. The sales pitch was regarding the lifetime mechanical warranty. I have the car to @200K and the tranny goes out, it will be covered given that they did all the service? So I asked about making an appointment and they said not until Monday when they are open till 3 AM tonight and 4 PM on Saturday and Sunday? IDK I don't mind the labor and they did not say when on Monday!

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm living life on the edge here it's already done took me about 45 minutes and everything seems to be fine I'll worry about any problems I have when they happen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.