Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front rotors on my 2012 chevy cruze are warped and I am planning to replace them with new ones. When I called the dealership to check the price on new rotors and brake pads they mentioned that they can machine the rotors. The price difference between getting new ones and machining them is 150$. As per me I should go ahead and spend 150$ and get the new ones because I am not sure how long the machined rotors would last and eventually I will have to replace them. What do you guys think?

Cost for new rotors, new brake pads and labor - 450$
Cost for machining rotors, new brake pads and labor - 250$

Thank You

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
It really depends on how badly warped the rotors are. If it's minor, then machining them may be ok. Personally, I'd replace them.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Call your local auto parts store for rotors and pads then do it yourself. Then go buy some good steaks, shrimp and crab legs with all the $$$ you'll save. Pads are very easy to change, shoes are more difficult.
The dealership is the most $$$ place to buy parts and labor.
I put new rotors, pads and new bearings on my 2003 S-10 last spring for +/- $100.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I vote replace...and shop a bit....high quality blanks are in the $50.00 or less range.

Once machined, the rotors easily overheat as a result of material removed and become more prone to material transfer (shudder).

Rob

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Rotors are cheap from an auto parts store. I don't really know anyone that has rotors turned anymore because most of the time the cost to have them machined is maybe $10-20 cheaper than a brand new one. If you're not comfortable doing the brake job yourself, I'd recommend finding a local shop to do them for you. The dealer is not the best place for this kind of work as their prices are through the roof.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Send me the $250, I'll get you some good aftermarket rotors and we'll both be happy !! Just throwing that option out there.:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Unless badly warped most all rotors are good for at least one machining. And you generally only have to do the front the first time around. And for god sake's don't go to the dealership. There are plenty of other places that will do the work for less.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you live near Cincinnati, I'll do the fronts with brand new AC Delco rotors and brake pads for $250.

Front pads and rotors can be had from rock auto dot com for less than $100 for a 2012 LT:

AC Delco front pads: $23.79
AC Delco front rotors: $28.79 x 2

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
If they are the original rotors that your car left the factory with I'd have them turned.

If they are anything else I would scrap them and buy a quality new product. Hint: a quality new product is not something made off-shore; it is also not a product that is advertised or has sales spiffs to the person selling them to you.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,203 Posts
New. The stock rotors are cheap junk (as evidenced by their price).

Edit: Get your hands on some Centric Premium blanks. Top notch stuff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
New. The stock rotors are cheap junk (as evidenced by their price).

Edit: Get your hands on some Centric Premium blanks. Top notch stuff.
LOL - at rock auto the AC Delco were at the upper end of the pricing which tells me that there's even junkier junk than the stockers...Thanks for the lead on the Centrics...hadn't heard of the before

On edit: The Centrics through rock auto are a couple bucks more a piece than the AC Delcos. Not bad pricing.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,203 Posts
LOL - at rock auto the AC Delco were at the upper end of the pricing which tells me that there's even junkier junk than the stockers...Thanks for the lead on the Centrics...hadn't heard of the before
Yeah...stay out of the "economy" section for brake parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah...stay out of the "economy" section for brake parts.
Agreed. Just scrolled down a little more on the RA site and found that Centric offers a few different options including heavy duty/track use which were nearly twice as much per rotor, but still would be a lower cost than what the OP was being quoted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the offer but I live in south Florida

If you live near Cincinnati, I'll do the fronts with brand new AC Delco rotors and brake pads for $250.

Front pads and rotors can be had from rock auto dot com for less than $100 for a 2012 LT:

AC Delco front pads: $23.79
AC Delco front rotors: $28.79 x 2

1 - 20 of 40 Posts