Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Should I buy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 2014 Cruze 1.4 LTZ. It has about 114,000 miles on it and has several issues. I figured, who better to ask than the people who have the most experience with them.

Here are the issues:
  • Oil pan leak
  • Crank case sys. needs repaired (mechanic says needs a new intake manifold kit)
  • Valve cover gasket needs replaced.
I will attach some images of mechanics quotes.

I would most likely do a lot of the work myself, excluding fixing the oil pan leak (don't have a safe area to jack the car up) I've looked up a few videos of the work that needs done, but I would still love some people on here's experience with such repairs.

My friend is asking $4,000 for it.

So what do you all think? is it worth it?

If I need to provide more information, let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me, KBB on an in fair condition and a few mechanical issues attached. How's the body condition?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,767 Posts
There is no oil pan gasket. I’d find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you are able to get the car for around $4000, I would have no issue buying it if the body and interior are in good condition. Ive done the exact thing twice now, and both cars ended up good drivers, I sold the first one for more than I bought it for + repairs. Almost all repairs on a Cruze are DIY and not expensive.

Valve cover - $50 (GM 25198874 --- no fit issues)
CruzeKit PCV repair kit - $80 (no need for new intake manifold if this is done)
PCV hose (Dorman 46829 -- use the new ends with repair kit hose) - $35

Replace the cam sensor seals while you're doing the valve cover. GM 55592715
Check front crank seal behind balancer. If the PCV system was open for a while, these seals usually suffer from it.

Get a torque wrench and retorque the oil pan bolts. 71 in/lbs. That'll get you by for the time being.
If I read the estimate correctly, the shop wanted $500 to reseal the pan? Thats a fair deal for that job.

Check the coolant system over thoroughly, esp the water pump, tstat, overflow tank and hose junction block. Budget for those items in the future.
Check transmission lines to/from radiator cooler. If leaking, replace asap.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you read the report it said the engine was VERY low on oil, like only 1 quart in the engine. That means there is a very strong chance this motor is hurt from it. It had periods of time that no oil was being supplied for lubrication. Chit is damaged more than likely and could very well need an engine soon.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
4,488 Posts
There is no oil pan gasket. I’d find a new mechanic.
Yes there is. You just have to make it yourself. When using RTV as an oil pan seal you are creating a mechanical seal between two surfaces. Which meets the below definition of a gasket.

gas·ket
/ˈɡaskət/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. 1.
    a shaped piece or ring of rubber or other material sealing the junction between two surfaces in an engine or other device.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,767 Posts
Yes there is. You just have to make it yourself. When using RTV as an oil pan seal you are creating a mechanical seal between two surfaces. Which meets the below definition of a gasket.

gas·ket
/ˈɡaskət/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. 1.
    a shaped piece or ring of rubber or other material sealing the junction between two surfaces in an engine or other device.
Why is the mechanic charging twice for it then? The part and labor?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
4,488 Posts
Why is the mechanic charging twice for it then? The part and labor?
Think of it this way. This is what we would do when I worked in the automotive industry. RTV is technically part, since has to be purchased. Labor is the work that a technician performs. A part won't install/remove/or diagnose itself
So, the customer gets charged for the part (RTV) and the labor (Remove oil pan, Clean surfaces, apply RTV and re-install oil pan). And almost always the customer pays more for the part and labor than it cost the shop so the shop makes money and can stay in business.

Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,230 Posts
Think of it this way. This is what we would do when I worked in the automotive industry. RTV is technically part, since has to be purchased. Labor is the work that a technician performs. A part won't install/remove/or diagnose itself
So, the customer gets charged for the part (RTV) and the labor (Remove oil pan, Clean surfaces, apply RTV and re-install oil pan). And almost always the customer pays more for the part and labor than it cost the shop so the shop makes money and can stay in business.

Does that make sense?
In an assembly environment, the length x bead size of something like RTV (or structural adhesive, body/paint sealer, etc) is how the assembly plant determines the "cost" of said product - that cost gets factored into the vehicle price. Only makes sense a mechanic/shop would charge similarly.

Reactions: JLL

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,667 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 2014 Cruze 1.4 LTZ. It has about 114,000 miles on it and has several issues. I figured, who better to ask than the people who have the most experience with them.

Here are the issues:
  • Oil pan leak
  • Crank case sys. needs repaired (mechanic says needs a new intake manifold kit)

I would most likely do a lot of the work myself, excluding fixing the oil pan leak (don't have a safe area to jack the car up) I've looked up a few videos of the work that needs done, but I would still love some people on here's experience with such repairs.

Thanks
You have some good answers above, I just want to clarify what the mechanic probably meant
Crank case vent sys. needs repaired means Positive Crankcase Ventilation system needs to be repaired i.e. you need a Fix Kit

·
Registered
619 Posts

Does that make sense?
It is completely normal for a shop to add a charge in for material and supplies. Typically its a 5 - 10% mark up from their cost. Depending on where they are getting parts at they will have accounts setup with them and quite often at a wholesale cost because of the volume of work which means the repair shop is paying below retail. If the shop provides the part then there is typically a warranty period on the part while customer supplied parts are going to be a warranty on just the labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your insights, very valuable information.

If you are able to get the car for around $4000, I would have no issue buying it if the body and interior are in good condition. Ive done the exact thing twice now, and both cars ended up good drivers, I sold the first one for more than I bought it for + repairs. Almost all repairs on a Cruze are DIY and not expensive.

Valve cover - $50 (GM 25198874 --- no fit issues)
CruzeKit PCV repair kit - $80 (no need for new intake manifold if this is done)
PCV hose (Dorman 46829 -- use the new ends with repair kit hose) - $35

Replace the cam sensor seals while you're doing the valve cover. GM 55592715
Check front crank seal behind balancer. If the PCV system was open for a while, these seals usually suffer from it.

Get a torque wrench and retorque the oil pan bolts. 71 in/lbs. That'll get you by for the time being.
If I read the estimate correctly, the shop wanted $500 to reseal the pan? Thats a fair deal for that job.

Check the coolant system over thoroughly, esp the water pump, tstat, overflow tank and hose junction block. Budget for those items in the future.
Check transmission lines to/from radiator cooler. If leaking, replace asap.
I really appreciate the in depth information you gave me. Glad to hear that the Cruze is pretty easy to do repairs yourself. That's is something that I'm looking for.

If you read the report it said the engine was VERY low on oil, like only 1 quart in the engine. That means there is a very strong chance this motor is hurt from it. It had periods of time that no oil was being supplied for lubrication. Chit is damaged more than likely and could very well need an engine soon.
I know the car got regular oil changes. Though, I'm really not sure how long it was driving around while it was so low on oil. This would be a huge factor in the decision to purchase this car if it has engine issues.

I'm still on the fence about it.

I'll keep you all updated. You might be seeing a lot more of me 😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone!

Here are the issues:
  • Oil pan leak

Thanks
My girlfriend has 2012 its been nothing but problem overheating. The the Chevy dealer told us that they were known for overheating

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,667 Posts
My girlfriend has 2012 its been nothing but problem overheating. The the Chevy dealer told us that they were known for overheating
It is, but with a little diligence and some inexpensive parts it is fairly easy to repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts