Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm definitely getting foglights (just deciding if I want to do before or after tint)

But I'm debating whether I should purchase the kit and get a buddy who is equally automobilically challanged (I just take pictures of things for a living) to help me install, or is it worth the $150 my dealer quoted for the install?

Realistically how difficult should it be with someone who has very little experience in this sort of thing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't personally done it, but I would say go for it. We are all here for ya! sure saving $150 is great, but at the end when you can say you did this yourself it's even more rewarding

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey i know how to do it its not that hard its up too you waht you wabt to do but as long as you have everything done right and wire it too a switch anddont care to have a switch that doesnt say fog lights but dont get me wrong 150 is not bad at all because if it ever brakes you bring it in and your warrenty covers it so its up to you what you wanna do, personly i would pay 150 so you dont have to deal with the possiable headachs and them blaming **** on your fog lights just cuz you installed them yourself.

If you wanna do it yourself. Remove both fog light covers. Theres plugs or possible screw holding them in. After remove, you have. Not that much wire with the kit. So your best bet is to buy a reel of same grade wiring n a cig. Lighter plug like a phone charger type of plug. With the right side, splice the wire into the fog wire. From there run it around the frame under the hood....to the right of the fuse box. Then up thewindshield frame. Into the driver door, down the seams. N under the door step.... Follow it to the rear seats n into the sitting coushin to the trunk. Leave the wire there. Do the same to the left, around the airbox or cai(if u have it) the down the door seams...same as the left to the trunk. Then with both wires sitting there. Place 12v plug near the rear power outlet. Run the wire under the seats and into the trunk. (may need to add wire to 12v plug to get under the seat.) then splice it together. So when u need the lights on, just plug it in.

If not. Get a on off switch instead of running the wire to the trunk run it. Behind the steering coloum n near the cup holder. Run the left side under the glove box and to the cup holder too. With the switch wire it to the switch. Run the 12v from the rear outlet to the switch and enjoy. Just make sure the switch is placed somewhere u can get it safetly, n not near any where wetness may come. If u wanna do it proper get a mini box to have the switch in so u dont see wires, or make it a hazard if u spill water. N there u go. Just make sure before u do final touchs u get power to the fogs. So play with the wire so you know which colour of wire goes where. And enjoy!!! If i cAn get fogs some day soon. Ill be happy to do a photo write-up.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Do yourself. Much easier than you would think. Get a friend to help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@ DMac1988

doesn't the OEM fog lamp kit come with everything thats needed for the install, including the OEM switch?
I was told the switch was extra. I was quotes $567.87 for parts n install. Its not easy doing it urself. They need to remove the steering wheel just to install the switch on the car. So u cant do it urself without fu"ing up big time. But if u go on ebay, u can buy then dirt cheap. They start at $60USD and up depending what kind u want. LED or bulb. If u cant hotwire the fog lights to a switch instide ur car ad cost u 200 tops to do id say go for it. But it ur not willing to run wires to a switch in the car. Then just bend over for the dealer to charge u 6bills to install. One guy said warrenty covers if they do it, then dude beside said no it doesnt cu it wasnt apart of the car when it was built so the company that comes in to install it has his warrenty. NOW....because thats a mod to ur car technical since it was installed after ur car purchase they will void ur warrenty if it links to any problems later in your cars running life. So its a scam. I personally say do it ur self and with the extra you save, buy yourself a gift or do more customing to your car like i do. Buy my parts, install myself, and the rest iv saved i buy more stuff...hahahaha have you seen my garage yet??? My queen is beautiful. N its only the LS. My next priject is a duraflex widebody kit n rims.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They need to remove the steering wheel just to install the switch on the car.

What are you talking about? You do not have to remove the steering wheel. The switch just pops out of the dash with a bit of a push from behind.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
My dealer quoted me $200.00 for the complete kit plus $150.00 install so I had it done which included the new switch in the dash. My total was $350.00. If they are charging you $567.00 and telling you they have to remove the steering wheel run away as quickly as you can to another dealership and report them immediately to Chevrolet Corporate.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: phantom

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I paid $195 for my kit and, being comfortable working on cars, I installed it myself. It took me about 2 hours taking my time and making sure everything was done neat and right.
My advice to you is....if you do not feel comfortable doing an oil change or a brake job I would pay the money to have it installed knowing that it was done right. Otherwise, go for it and take in the enjoyment of knowing you saved a few bucks and did it yourself!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My dealer quoted me $200.00 for the complete kit plus $150.00 install so I had it done which included the new switch in the dash. My total was $350.00. If they are charging you $567.00 and telling you they have to remove the steering wheel run away as quickly as you can to another dealership and report them immediately to Chevrolet Corporate.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My dealership initially quoted almost $500 to do the job. When it was done it was closer to $350. Apparently this is another case where the Cruze is still new enough that dealerships don't know what's involved in the job yet so they quote the nearest car they have experience with. Sounds like installing fog lamps on a car that puts the headlight control on a steering column stick is the closest they have experience with. This is the only way I can think of that would require removing the steering wheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dealership initially quoted almost $500 to do the job. When it was done it was closer to $350. Apparently this is another case where the Cruze is still new enough that dealerships don't know what's involved in the job yet so they quote the nearest car they have experience with. Sounds like installing fog lamps on a car that puts the headlight control on a steering column stick is the closest they have experience with. This is the only way I can think of that would require removing the steering wheel.
See im not crazy! Told u. Makes alot of sence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The OEM GM factory fog light kit comes with everything and is a medium level expert installation. You remove the front bumper for easy installation, but you do not remove the steering wheel, contrary to internet buzz. It does come with the factory fog light switch and it won't void the GM warranty if installed by a GM dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts