Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Air typically features about 78 percent nitrogen, so why should you pay more to fill your car’s tires with pure nitrogen? Is there a tangible reason to spend more on this or are dealerships and auto shops just blowing hot air?

The short answer is that nitrogen is a waste of time and money and that mechanics are trying to make some money from a problem that doesn’t really exist.

When it comes to your tires, air is a big deal. Air contracts and expands depending on the temperature. For every change of 10 degrees Fahrenheit, a tire’s pressure will change about 1 PSI (pound per square inch). This is why it’s recommended to check your tires on a regular basis.

If it’s cold out, the pressure will drop, deflating your tires slightly, and there’s a chance your fuel-economy might go down too. To resolve this, you will have to pump some more air into your tires. On the flip-side, if it’s hot, the PSI of your car’s tires will increase, and you may get reduced traction or uneven wear of the tire. To solve this, you may need to let some air out of your tires.

Air isn’t the only gas to be affected by the weather like this, nitrogen is just as reactive to the temperature.
Read more about using nitrogen in your tires at AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...you're PAYING to eliminate the 21% Oxygen (O2) from the air.

...paying 4/5ths to get rid of 1/5th don't make sense, unless you're an airplane/airliner with braking temperatures approaching the combustion temperature of the magnesium rim assemblies.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
...you're PAYING to eliminate the 21% Oxygen (O2) from the air.

...paying 4/5ths to get rid of 1/5th don't make sense, unless you're an airplane/airliner with braking temperatures approaching the combustion temperature of the magnesium rim assemblies.
Don't forget, to fill a tire with 100% nitrogen, you need to mount them inside a 100% nitrogen chamber. Otherwise, you are still going to have a percentage of oxygen in there.

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im not saying that nitrogen in the tires is the greatest thing since sliced bread and im not disputing the fact that there is still some atomsphere air in the tire but when I first got my car my tires would fluctuate about 5psi from cold to warmed up when I got to work and it was really annoying becasue it changed the way the car drove and handled. So I had to take it to the dealer to have something adjusted and hae them put nitro in and it now fluctuates about 1psi.
As far as fuel mileage gains, most likely none but The tire pressure change is mostly gone and it was worth the 30 for me.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have heard that the process used to get 100% nitrogen also removes moisture from the normal atmospheric air. having little or no moisture is suppose to make the tire pressure monitor last longer and not corrode them inside the rim.

I got tires last month and let them give me a free fill of nitrogen. cold mornings my tires are all 30psi, once driven 20-30minutes they are all up to 35psi. This is the EXACT same amount of PSI heat change I was seeing with air. The only advantage I'm seeing is the green valve stem caps keep the dealer from messing with my tire PSI when I visit.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have heard that the process used to get 100% nitrogen also removes moisture from the normal atmospheric air.
That is the true advantage of a nitrogen fill for automotive use.
If you have lots of moisture in your compressed air you will see larger pressure swings than if you have a good receiver/dryer inline.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have heard that the process used to get 100% nitrogen also removes moisture from the normal atmospheric air. having little or no moisture is suppose to make the tire pressure monitor last longer and not corrode them inside the rim.

I got tires last month and let them give me a free fill of nitrogen. cold mornings my tires are all 30psi, once driven 20-30minutes they are all up to 35psi. This is the EXACT same amount of PSI heat change I was seeing with air. The only advantage I'm seeing is the green valve stem caps keep the dealer from messing with my tire PSI when I visit.
Sounds like they didnt actually do it, like I said I see a 1psi change lately 2 with the really cold temps but never 5. When it was warmer they almost never changed. And before i left the dealer i asked for my black valve stem caps and just changed them out casue the green ones are annoying and look goofy

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Im not saying that nitrogen in the tires is the greatest thing since sliced bread and im not disputing the fact that there is still some atomsphere air in the tire but when I first got my car my tires would fluctuate about 5psi from cold to warmed up when I got to work and it was really annoying becasue it changed the way the car drove and handled. So I had to take it to the dealer to have something adjusted and hae them put nitro in and it now fluctuates about 1psi.
As far as fuel mileage gains, most likely none but The tire pressure change is mostly gone and it was worth the 30 for me.
How do you know it was 5 PSI before and now is 1 PSI? Are you monitoring your TPMS that closely? The fact is that Nitrogen and regular air expand and contract at almost the same rate. I smell a placebo.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Its required if you are driving (flying?) a 747, so now we have to determine the difference between a Cruze and a 747.

Could be minor differences in the weight, and you really don't touch down causing your tires to accelerate from zero to 150 knots in an instant.

One key advantage of nitrogen, its moisture free. I do have a moisture filter on my air compressor, how good it is, never really tested it. In sub-freezing temperatures, that moisture will condense and freeze at the low point in the tire causing a misbalance. So far, not a problem.

Other is oxygen can oxidized the inside of the tire, but UV radiation is the most predominate problem with a checked tire on the outside. Never pitched a tire due to inside oxidation, but sure have due to UV radiation. Outside of the tire is also exposed to oxygen. What are you going to do about this?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
My new car came with nitrogen in the tires (if you believe the green valve caps and the window sticker), but they haven't held pressure any better than tires without nitrogen. I still check pressures the first of every month and have had to add air three times since March of this year, when I purchased the car. Not sure what the real value is unless you are driving an airplane.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,342 Posts
My new car came with nitrogen in the tires (if you believe the green valve caps and the window sticker), but they haven't held pressure any better than tires without nitrogen. I still check pressures the first of every month and have had to add air three times since March of this year, when I purchased the car. Not sure what the real value is unless you are driving an airplane.
Don't forget to regularly top up the blinker fluid ;)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
How do you know it was 5 PSI before and now is 1 PSI? Are you monitoring your TPMS that closely? The fact is that Nitrogen and regular air expand and contract at almost the same rate. I smell a placebo.
Yes i did monitor it becasue it was rather annoying when I was driving. I checked it multiple times before I left for work and when I got to work. And did the same after the nitro was in the tires.

Its cheap and keeps the tire pressure from changing too much. Dont see the harm in it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The only harm Nitrogen will do to your car is reduce the passenger weight by lightening your wallet. The fact that you had a much larger pressure change before the Nitrogen tells me your tires were inflated in a very humid environment (near dew/condensation point).

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
What if we swung the other way and filled the tires with pure oxygen?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So please explain to me why now with nitrogen my tire pressure doesn't fluctuate as much before with air. I just want to hear why. I know some major trucking fleet that have all went to super single tires and run nitrogen in them because of tire pressure/temperature and run a tire temp/pressure gauge system to closely monitor it because it affect fuel mileage. If it did nothing fleets wouldn't do it either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts