Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor Cruze...

I just winterized the car this week and got decked on the highway. I was doing 55 mph on I-90 in the right lane. I-290 combines 2 more lanes from the right so one of the lanes has to merge. My right lane became the center lane on a 3-lane highway. Well, an over-eager beaver decks me in the passenger side rear wheel well quarter of the car. I made no attempts to pass or veer from my lane. This was simply an ill-fated pass where the guy forgot to even LOOK what was next to him. It is absolutely amazing that I didn't spin out given the misty conditions, the speed, and the portion of the car he hit. It sounded like the destroyed the right side of my car. Fortunately, the Cruze is a little battle tank so myself and my passenger were both ok and I was able to maintain control and get off to the shoulder.

A state trooper actually witnessed the accident and was on site within 1 minute. He told all participants to stay in the vehicle and issued some citations to the guy that hit me. I have to get the Cruze fixed before the rust sets in. Unfortunately, NY is a no-fault state.. so despite him being at fault I will still be responsible for a $500 deductible (no insurance increases on my end though). I'll attach a pic of the (mostly) minor damage when I get home. The main concern is the scraped paint and the rust.

Yes, this car is a BATTLE TANK. This is my second shot to the body, and I've had a flat tire and a shredded blown tire. I've walked away safe and in control of the vehicle on every occasion. I love you, Cruzer. I'm never getting rid of you. Hang in there buddy!

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
It is amazing how safe the Cruze is, sorry to hear. How bad is the damage? Won't
be a total loss i am guessing?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Oh no hopefully you will be reunited with your beautiful Cruze. This sucks man.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm glad to hear everyone is ok. Even in a no fault state you can get your deductible paid by the other driver. You may have to take him to small claims court however. Good luck. Ask your insurance company if they will help with getting the other driver's insurance to pony up the deductible.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
Usually the insurance company will fight the other company to pay your deductible. While you are out $500 for now, if your insurance company is worth their beans, they'll get your money back.

I'm sorry that happened - something similar happened to me a few years back before I owned the Cruze. Count on a quarter panel being more than $2000 - it's a lot of work. Ask around town for a reputable body shop - Black Granite will be hard to blend back well.

·
10,712 Posts
Usually the insurance company will fight the other company to pay your deductible. While you are out $500 for now, if your insurance company is worth their beans, they'll get your money back.

I'm sorry that happened - something similar happened to me a few years back before I owned the Cruze. Count on a quarter panel being more than $2000 - it's a lot of work. Ask around town for a reputable body shop - Black Granite will be hard to blend back well.
Yeah not a fan of NoVa shops and some of the NEOhio ones either. I had an entire hood repainted Lapis Blue Metallic and they left the rock chips untouched. Subaru pearl paint blend was horrible when I had my back door demolished by a Odyssey and rear ended by a 150. As for BGM being hard to match, my rear bumper on the Cruze is not the same color as the rest of the car as I hear bumpers aren't painted same time as the rest of the car on assembly(can anyone confirm that?)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My rear bumper has been repainted three times and it matches perfectly. I'm also BGM for paint.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Hopefully you can get this resolved quickly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Poor Cruze...
Unfortunately, NY is a no-fault state.. so despite him being at fault I will still be responsible for a $500 deductible
QUOTE]

No fault is for personal injury, not property damage, no-fault guarantees your medical is paid regardless of who is at fault. As for the damage to the car, if you're clearly not at fault - you won't have to pay the deductible, the other drivers insurance will pay the full amount based on the percentage of responsibility. My suggestion to you is to go with your own insurance co's repair company if they offer one, or to bring it to a Chevrolet dealer. Don't bring it to the other guy's insurance repair facility unless they will warranty things like paint for the life of the vehicle.

No fault covers your family too - so if your child is hit by a car and the driver of the car doesn't have insurance, your auto insurance kicks in and foots the medical expenses. Same thing if you are hit by a car and you're not in your car (e.g. bicycling or walking etc.) - your "no fault" covers your medical no questions asked (within reason obviously).

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Well, yours is in much better shape than a Summit White LTZ RS around here today. Passed it on my way to work this morning, had rear ended another car at probably 50 or so. Hood was bent at a 90 in the center.

Woulda made Starks cry...

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Michigan has no fault insurance as well. I hate it. We moved to Michigan from Ohio a few years ago, and the insurance on the car I had at the time doubled. I even shopped around and couldn't find it cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts
Glad you are ok, stories like this make me glad I got this car esp after what I went thru in my 2011 when I plowed into the side of that car and totaled both but no one was hurt. I worry about that happening in Cincinnati where I drive since they are rebuilding I 75 and I 74 merge. Several lanes appear and disappear really quickly. Hope all turns out well with your Cruze man.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
No total loss. I'd say $2,000ish. I filed the claim this morning but haven't had a chance to get an estimate yet. It is just body damage to the rear quarter and no deployed airbags.
This happened to me when the car was 6 weeks old, I guessed $2000.00, actual cost was $4,200.00. The rear panel requires the whole side needs to come off as the panel goes all the way to under the front guard. Taxi decided to make a U turn without looking first.
View attachment 45305

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Sorry Erik! Man that just plain sucks! I'm sorry to hear that moron hit your car but at least the state trooper was there and witnessed it and there were no injuries! Thank God.

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Ouch! I know that exact spot right by the blue water tower, and it's a blasted nightmare! I take it you were coming from the toll barrier going westbound. I've had folks pass me on the shoulder there before.

Your insurance company should be able to subrogate your deductible from the other guy's insurance. That's what happened with me when I was rear-ended.

If the body shop is even half-competent, BGM will come out just fine. I can't tell where there's new paint on my Cruze, where both ends have been repainted!

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch! I know that exact spot right by the blue water tower, and it's a blasted nightmare! I take it you were coming from the toll barrier going westbound. I've had folks pass me on the shoulder there before.

Your insurance company should be able to subrogate your deductible from the other guy's insurance. That's what happened with me when I was rear-ended.

If the body shop is even half-competent, BGM will come out just fine. I can't tell where there's new paint on my Cruze, where both ends have been repainted!
Yup, I was coming from the toll barrier in the right lane that becomes the center lane. I stayed in my lane and just got decked. I just couldn't believe how.. that wasn't even a merge area :(

It is going to the body shop on Friday. I can't take it any sooner due to work. They will fix it and my insurance company should come through for me due to the accident report.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts