Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moms 2011 Chevy Cruze has always had a problem where the Turn signal is SO low, and the HAZARD Lights have NO SOUND whatsoever. Dealer says this is normal but I say that is absolutely BS! You can press the Hazard lights and not even know you have them on because there is no audible indication. Unless you note the two turn signal icons on, you can drive without knowing..

This is Normal???

·
Registered
682 Posts
My Hazard lights are audible unless the engine is off, in which case they are silent (with the dash indicators and button flashing). It's quite convenient i think, especially when you're waiting for someone in a non-park zone and you put the hazards on for safety. That constant clicking gets a little annoying after a few minutes lol.

As for the low volume I think there's a setting to adjust it somewhere in the menus under "vehicle" (could be mistaking). Look for something along the lines of "Chime volume" etc.

Also, the DIC may display a warning after driving with your hazards on for a minute or two. I know it does this with the turn signal if you forget to turn it off after a lane change. Haven't tried the hazards though, but it would seem to make sense they would as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am personally thankful they are quiet/silent... the noise does get annoying, and I would actually never leave my signals on if I was sitting in a left turn lane for example until the light changed and I started moving again. Signals never made noise by design - the noise is a product of the engineering of the thermal flasher. Newer cars often use electronic flashers... and since they are without moving mechanical parts, there is no noise from the flasher itself. If you do hear any faint clicking, it is coming from a relay in the circuit.

I'm not positive, but there MAY be a way to adjust fabricated noise that plays through your speakers for those that prefer noise still... When I had my stock stereo, I could hear turn signals. After I replaced my head unit and speakers with aftermarket connections and equipment, I can no longer hear them besides some relay clicks. If it's just the flashers on a stock setup that don't make noise - the thought was probably that flashers will usually be on for an extended period of time (vs turn signals), and thus any noise would simply be an annoyance. Thinking about it further.... was the car/stereo off when the emerg flashers were silent? If may appear they don't make noise (to the second poster) when the engine is off because the radio is off/no switched accessories are running...

Anyway - sure you can drive with your flashers on and not notice that the two arrows are flashing in front of your face... You could also be speeding and not realizing it unless you look at the speedometer or be low on gas without knowing until the warning came up if you don't keep an eye on the fuel gauge.. I think most drivers are aware of lights/etc in the cluster, see it in their peripheral vision, or glance down every once in a while - so I consider quiet flashers a feature.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the sound is generated electronically and comes out of the audio speakers. I know that's true in my GM pickup. There is a setting from the config menu to change the "chime" volume but I've never tried it myself and I don't know if it affects the tick-tock sound for the turn signals or 4-way flashers.

Edit - I just went out to the garage and tested my 2011 Cruze to see how it works. The 4-way hazard flashers are silent when the key is off but click when the key is on. I also tested the chime volume customization and found it also affects the tick-tock sound. It is about twice as loud when you set the customization from "normal" to "loud". It still remains silent with the key off but it is very noticeable when on. You'd be very unlikely to drive around with the flashers because the tick-tock is unmistakable.

Chime Volume
This allows the selection of the
chime volume level.
Press the MENU knob when Chime
Volume is highlighted. Turn the knob
to select Normal or High. Press the
BACK button to confirm and go
back to the last menu.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hate the sounds of the blinkers and the 4 way flashers they are just annoying the constant click click I know I have my blinker on so why do I need something to remind me? Just my opinion lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts