Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
If they have a blue tint, walk away. They will have compromised output because of the blue tint. Might not look like a lot to you, but 400 lumens is the difference between going from the brightest H13 bulb on the market (Philips Xtreme Power) to below the output of the stock lamp.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
You have to remember that no matter how slight it looks, the difference is significant. For example, did you know our windows are factory tinted?

They are, at 70%. That means 30% of light is not getting through. If you were to apply that light of a tint to a high output halogen, you'd go from at best 1800 lumens to 1260 lumens, which is a ~240 lumen drop from OEM.

Don't get tinted bulbs. Doesn't matter what color they are, they will not be as bright as the OE bulbs.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I purchased them off Amazon for I think $30.00, they are better than factory. I purchased them before I had read reveiws on the Phillips Xtreme Vision, for the feed back on the Phillips Xtreme Vision I probably would have done them for the same price but I am happy with the ones that I have.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
The XtremePower bulbs made a huge difference to the light output of my low beams.

Due to the single bulb design, the highs will suck no matter what you put in it.

Oh, one other thing...in addition to the reduced light output from Silverstars (I've used them before, in another car), they have the shortest lifespan of any bulb I have EVER used. 8 months was the tops I got from them.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I tried running Silverstars in my last Civic. They threw great light, enough to make the occaisional oncoming driver flash me to dim them. Drawback: 120 - 150 hours of life. That was about 6 months for my driving. After two sets, I went to the next step down in the Sylvania line from Silverstar.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Short life span does suck a big one indeed. Had ultra brights in my cobalt and got about 2-3 months til one burnt out. But I do love how bright they are, just bit the bullet and bought another pair. But the ZXE's I'll probably try when I get my next pay check.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Switched to Sylvania Xtra-Visions, the very next morning, easy to change, would say 30% brighter, and were around 12 bucks a pair at my Fleet Farm store. When driving this brand new Cruze home at night, need a guy with a kerosene lamp walking in front of me. Also have a history with them, same bulb used in my 04 Cavalier that lasted over eight years.

What good is a head lamp bulb if it burns out in a couple of months, regardless of the cost? Review I have read on the Siverstars were awful maybe only 25-30% brighter, but with very short life. Same with the Phillips Xtremes, but sure love looking at their website. but couldn't find anything about the life of the bulb. Carquest in town wants 50 bucks for a pair, Home Depot sells the same bulbs for 31 bucks. Prefer buying stuff like this locally so I can take it back.

Only a single vertical adjustment on my Cruze, need a long dark flat road for this, have access to my airport. If the dims are set a tad too high, the brights shine up into outer space. So a compromise is necessary, and normally not a good compromise at best.

Feel there is a bit of untruthful advertising in these things, how can you get twice the brightness with the same 60 watt bulb? But will cost me 31 bucks to find out for myself. God, I love my four lamp system on my motorhome, should have stuck with this. And each bulb can be separately adjusted both vertically and horizontally.

Maybe I should hire a guy to walk in front of me with a swinging kerosene lantern.
[h=2][/h]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts