Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Simple modds

2901 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  GM Master Tech
Dose anybody know of any bolt on performance upgrades I alread have a turbo back exhaust done by a local shop and injen cai
Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
That's about it for bolt-ons. Those two you did already are more for sound than power, as I'm sure you found out.

Next up is a 91+ octane tune. That will net you about 30 ponies and 40 ft/lbs for usually $350 on sale or so. It's about the cheapest power to be made on this car. Next step after that is selling your Cruze for a Buick Verano Turbo. That is $5000 or more.

Reactions: 99_XC600

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's about it for bolt-ons. Those two you did already are more for sound than power, as I'm sure you found out.

Next up is a 91+ octane tune. That will net you about 30 ponies and 40 ft/lbs for usually $350 on sale or so. It's about the cheapest power to be made on this car. Next step after that is selling your Cruze for a Buick Verano Turbo. That is $5000 or more.
What kind of tune are you talking I want more of a plug and play than a efi live type system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Its not just having the software for tuning.Its knowing the 1.4T engine and its management system.Vtuner uses efilive and has a lot of experience with Opel engine management systems which basically is what the cruze is.Trifecta is also skilled with the cruze engine management system.With Vtune you use a handy little provided efilive scanner provided with the tune by Vtuner.And with Trifecta its a cable provided at extra cost for your lap top.Vtuner will also optimize the tune for different octanes 87 to 93.This is based on available octanes in your area or what you want to run.Of course power increase is less with lower octanes.But even on 87 you can bring flywheel TQ up to 180 but it will drop off faster up into the rpm range.To some it up either tuner has a great tune with very good drive ability.The edge would go to Vtuner for ultra fast service and one on one with the customer.Trifecta has been slower on customer service.But they also have a larger customer base.So its what ever works for you.Just remember its more than just having software to make changes you need to know what your doing to get the desired result

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not just having the software for tuning.Its knowing the 1.4T engine and its management system.Vtuner uses efilive and has a lot of experience with Opel engine management systems which basically is what the cruze is.Trifecta is also skilled with the cruze engine management system.With Vtune you use a handy little provided efilive scanner provided with the tune by Vtuner.And with Trifecta its a cable provided at extra cost for your lap top.Vtuner will also optimize the tune for different octanes 87 to 93.This is based on available octanes in your area or what you want to run.Of course power increase is less with lower octanes.But even on 87 you can bring flywheel TQ up to 180 but it will drop off faster up into the rpm range.To some it up either tuner has a great tune with very good drive ability.The edge would go to Vtuner for ultra fast service and one on one with the customer.Trifecta has been slower on customer service.But they also have a larger customer base.So its what ever works for you.Just remember its more than just having software to make changes you need to know what your doing to get the desired result
Where can I get the Vtuner?

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
What kind of tune are you talking I want more of a plug and play than a efi live type system

Both the commercially available tunes are plug and play, so you can flash your car and drive it immediately. They do need to be datalogged to check if any fine-tuning needs to be done. Usually the off-the-shelf tunes don't need any fine-tuning, but still datalog to make sure.

I was being completely serious about selling your Cruze for a Verano Turbo if you want significantly more power than what a tuned 1.4T can do. The 2.0T in the Verano starts at 260 hp and about 250ish ft/lbs. A tune will bump that to ~290 hp and 300 ft/lbs. For the price differential between a loaded 2LT manual and a Verano Turbo manual, that $5000 nets you about double the horsepower and torque. It comes down to the old saw: "How fast can I go? Well, how big is your checkbook?"

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both the commercially available tunes are plug and play, so you can flash your car and drive it immediately. They do need to be datalogged to check if any fine-tuning needs to be done. Usually the off-the-shelf tunes don't need any fine-tuning, but still datalog to make sure.

I was being completely serious about selling your Cruze for a Verano Turbo if you want significantly more power than what a tuned 1.4T can do. The 2.0T in the Verano starts at 260 hp and about 250ish ft/lbs. A tune will bump that to ~290 hp and 300 ft/lbs. For the price differential between a loaded 2LT manual and a Verano Turbo manual, that $5000 nets you about double the horsepower and torque. It comes down to the old saw: "How fast can I go? Well, how big is your checkbook?"
Im not looking to build a race car or anything. And if I want to see numbers I have a duramax with 600 hp and1200 ft lb at the wheels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.