Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long is the SiriusXM free trial? I got an e-mail from them a few days after I bought my Cruze. Anyways the e-mail wasn't really forthcoming with the details. I am a bit weary about signing up to services that I cannot cancel online. To my knowledge cancellations must be done by phone with them. Cancelling online is so much better. You don't get the hassles of getting the 3rd degree why your cancelling or talked into staying and the like.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
XM would like about $300 a year to serve you. They will settle for $60 with promotions, use the word "Cancel" every 6 months to insure the lowest rate!

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
I thought the trial period was something like 6 mos. before they made you sign a contract for services.
Anyways the e-mail wasn't really forthcoming with the details.
I would Contact XM and ask the details and they may offer some kind of packages also. I had already had it before I bought my Cruze so it was a matter of transferring service.

I was lucky when XM first came out back @ 2001, I bought the hardware to install in my older cars and signed up for 3 years for @ 400. After the 3yrs were up, I received a renewal notice for another 5 years @ 500. So I looked on line to see what I could find and I found a lifetime subscription for @600. Granted it does not have all the channels, but has the ones I like(music and comedy channels along with a couple of talk channels). As I said I was lucky since they don't offer the lifetime anymore and there are seemingly more commercials and it is track programming on various channels(like channels). Truly depends on what you are hoping to get out of it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought a used Cruze 2014 from a dealer in May and it came with three months. I am probably about to buy a 2016 and if I understand it correctly they are supposed to come with two years but we will see. It's something they are calling 24/7 and it comes with two years of Onstar and also 24 gigs or two years (whichever comes first) of 4g/LTE data as well. It's supposedly for LT and up.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I thought the trial period was something like 6 mos. before they made you sign a contract for services. I would Contact XM and ask the details and they may offer some kind of packages also. I had already had it before I bought my Cruze so it was a matter of transferring service.

I was lucky when XM first came out back @ 2001, I bought the hardware to install in my older cars and signed up for 3 years for @ 400. After the 3yrs were up, I received a renewal notice for another 5 years @ 500. So I looked on line to see what I could find and I found a lifetime subscription for @600. Granted it does not have all the channels, but has the ones I like(music and comedy channels along with a couple of talk channels). As I said I was lucky since they don't offer the lifetime anymore and there are seemingly more commercials and it is track programming on various channels(like channels). Truly depends on what you are hoping to get out of it.
If my math is correct you have spent $1500 in 15 years for the limited channel plan instead of the 'all access' plan which includes all the channels + Internet listening at about half the price on the current promo? Yes some channels have commercials but I have never heard one on the music channels unless it's the few on air terrestrial Radio stations that they rebroadcast. Plus everything's 'tracked' these days when possible, that's how its done. For guitargain's question remember Onstar & XM have no relationship although yes you should get at least 3 months free XM and the free OnStar is cool! Is Chevy still offering the free two year maintenance?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Am I the only one who think that XM sound quality is horrible? Most of the time there is an almost robotic tin like sound to it, like a very low bitrate MP3. Its not just the cruze, my sonic it sounds equally as bad. Next time your listening to some song you also have as MP3 on USB or even CD or FM, you will notice a definite improvement in the richness of the music when you switch from XM.

Numerous post on the web about this, found this very informative about the sound quality issues I have experienced.
Why SiriusXM Sucks - What to know before you buy & subscribe - Car Stereo Reviews & News + Tuning, Wiring, How to Guide's

·
Registered
533 Posts
Am I the only one who think that XM sound quality is horrible? Most of the time there is an almost robotic tin like sound to it, like a very low bitrate MP3. Its not just the cruze, my sonic it sounds equally as bad. Next time your listening to some song you also have as MP3 on USB or even CD or FM, you will notice a definite improvement in the richness of the music when you switch from XM.

Numerous post on the web about this, found this very informative about the sound quality issues I have experienced.
Why SiriusXM Sucks - What to know before you buy & subscribe - Car Stereo Reviews & News + Tuning, Wiring, How to Guide's
I have noticed the same on my moms GMC and dads Camaro, but interestingly enough, the quality in my Mustang (Shaker 500) on XM is much better. I'm not sure if Ford has programming to compensate for the tinny sound or what the deal is, but it's nowhere near as tinny as our GM vehicles. Also gets better reception.

(Not that that makes everything wrong with the mustang okay ?. Lol! But I still love it :) )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts

Let me 'Axe' you this, do you think CD's sound better than Vinyl. XM is HD Radio, high density. The sound quality is pretty low!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If my math is correct you have spent $1500 in 15 years for the limited channel plan instead of the 'all access' plan which includes all the channels + Internet listening at about half the price on the current promo? Yes some channels have commercials but I have never heard one on the music channels unless it's the few on air terrestrial Radio stations that they rebroadcast. Plus everything's 'tracked' these days when possible, that's how its done. For guitargain's question remember Onstar & XM have no relationship although yes you should get at least 3 months free XM and the free OnStar is cool! Is Chevy still offering the free two year maintenance?
I think so. Two years or two services whichever comes first.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ever search for aftermarket components to convert an older radio to receive XM or even OnStar? You can buy and have these items installed for $$$$$$.

But when you buy practically any new vehicle, you are paying extra for these items whether you want them or not.

I fit in the not category.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Let me 'Axe' you this, do you think CD's sound better than Vinyl. XM is HD Radio, high density. The sound quality is pretty low!
Both vinyl and CD are way higher quality than XM. Vinyl does have a rich sound but i prefer CD's. The key to CD's quality is in how its mastered, allot of the new CD's today are very loud but sacrifice sound quality in the process.

You can even find different version of the same album will have different quality level depending on how it was mastered. An example of this is Pink Floyds Album Dark Side of the Moon, it has the record for the most weeks on the top 200, from 1973 to 1988(917 Weeks!, about 3X more next closest album) over that time it was released at least a dozen different version of the CD. The so called best sounding one is a Japan First pressing release with "black triangle" on the cover(CP35-3017) it typically sells for $50-100 a CD on EBay vs $15 for the newest 2011 remastered version. MFSL(mobile fidelity sound lab) is one company that remasters albums to enhance the quality of the sound., but they are very expensive and only an audiophile would pay 3X for a slight upgrade.

I should point out even though XM is digital its not even close to the same quality level as HD radio, which is an entirely different thing. On that note, why doesn't the Cruze have HD radio? can buy a car stereo at Walmart for around $100 that can do it. Looking on the HD radio website for chevy only the Tahoe and Suburban can do HD radio, yet ALL Fords can do it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, when CD's first came out were using LP masters already equalized by RIAA with boosted bass and a practically linear taper for the higher frequencies. Wow, the bass is great on these things, but not talking to audiophiles, but to kids.

With the advent of digital music, in terms of fidelity, new standards in high quality music reproduction became available. But for rock bands, the most popular accessory was a distortion box.

New toy has HD radio, only problem living in stick country is finding an HD station. Ha, problems, always problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts