Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this happen to anybody else? I've noticed a couple times in the morning a very slight flare going into 3rd. It started happening around 186K miles. It's very subtle and I only notice it because I've been driving the car since new and it's slightly different. Doesn't really seem like an issue, but definitely something to take note of. Anybody else?

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Transmission flare = internal component wear.

Remind me again about your ATF services.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep. When I drive, I put it in manual as I have 3-4 blocks with stop signs. Once I'm in the highway I put it back into auto. I remember a brand new one doing it when I tear drove the first one that came to my local dealer. Was a December morning with snow.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission flare = internal component wear.

Remind me again about your ATF services.
Amsoil fluid was put in about 60K miles ago, but with my driving habits I figured I could get away with the longer change interval. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to swap it out again, as I did the 3X change, which only got out about 80% of the original fluid.

Yep. When I drive, I put it in manual as I have 3-4 blocks with stop signs. Once I'm in the highway I put it back into auto. I remember a brand new one doing it when I tear drove the first one that came to my local dealer. Was a December morning with snow.
Interesting. I never noticed mine doing that until recently. Mine is the only diesel Cruze I've ever driven, though, so i don't have a point of reference.

I am also higher miles than anybody else on this forum, so it stands to reason that I will most likely be the first to get the "component wear" issues. To be clear, though, it shifts and performs perfectly fine except for the very first shift into 3rd.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more followup on this. Seems like the Aisin AW40-6 does have a valve body issue that will cause a 2-3 flare (higher mileage examples). I am optimistic that a fluid change will correct this. I am going to try to get this done in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Pretty sure I recall this issue popping up on some Volvo vehicles using the same trans, and I do believe it was a solenoid problem. I'm going to see if I can find that article...or video, or whatever it was.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Does this happen to anybody else? I've noticed a couple times in the morning a very slight flare going into 3rd. It started happening around 186K miles. It's very subtle and I only notice it because I've been driving the car since new and it's slightly different. Doesn't really seem like an issue, but definitely something to take note of. Anybody else?
You know mine has did this for awhile then cleared up & then has came back. Mine has about 200 to 300 RPM rev before shifting into the 3rd gear. Its not rough just has that delay in shift before it completes. It doesn't jerk me in the seat or anything but as you have said its noticeable since I have drove this car since its new. My model is 6T40 transmission auto

But you know its weird, when its cold it shifts like a dream just as it warms up is when the noticeable shift flare does your do this?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
There are a couple of gassers (myself and @sparkman) that have this issue. On mine, from 3rd to 4th, the trans will flare shift, but my RPMs will go anywhere from +500 to +1000 RPMs. Had it in at the dealership and they said that they could not replicate. Have been working with GM Customer Care, but unfortunately, when it happens, I cannot always take it straight to the dealership, leave the car on, and let them take a look at it. My commute to work is 120 miles, round trip, I leave at 5:45am and usually don't get home till around 6:00 - 7:00pm. So I'm kinda in a bind when it comes to getting it in to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
You know mine has did this for awhile then cleared up & then has came back. Mine has about 200 to 300 RPM rev before shifting into the 3rd gear. Its not rough just has that delay in shift before it completes. It doesn't jerk me in the seat or anything but as you have said its noticeable since I have drove this car since its new. My model is 6T40 transmission auto

But you know its weird, when its cold it shifts like a dream just as it warms up is when the noticeable shift flare does your do this?
Thats odd, IMO. The issue I seem to be having usually happens when it is cold then sometimes it will get better as it warms up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diesel, did you see this? https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10176/volvo-tf80-awf21-transmission-issues

There's a bit in there where he talks about the 2-3 shift flaring, followed by really hard engagement of 3rd, and warns that 'you only get to do that twice, then we have to rebuild it (due to case damage). Maybe some gentle driving is in order until the problem is sorted.....
Thanks for that. That is pretty good evidence that I probably shouldn't have waited so long to do my initial fluid change. I ordered some of the Amsoil signature series and hope to get the fluid changed this weekend. Hopefully that can extend the life a bit. I am not sure what's reasonable to expect from a transmission. 200K? 300K? more?

Do you have a diesel? The gas Cruzes use a different transmission, so before we go down the path, I want to make sure we're talking about the same transmission.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,810 Posts
What do you mean by "flare"?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Shift flare is a condition that occurs on up shifts between a lower gear and a higher gear. The transmission will simply shift out of the lower gear and delay before engaging in the higher gear. This will result in the engine RPMs “flaring” (revving high) prior to engagement in the higher gear. It seems to be more common with lower gears but can happen with any of the shifts. Typically, the transmission will start exhibiting the symptom between the same two gears. Early on, this may only happen randomly once the transmission is warmed up but as it gets worse, it may happen consistently at any temperature

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,810 Posts
Can't say that's something we've noticed.

It jerks like **** at certain conditions if you go to tip into the throttle to maintain speed (usually when you're in 6th, cruising around 50-60 - so probably TC unlocking and locking), and it's downright stupid sometimes when you put your foot to the floor, expect a downshift and it takes a good few seconds to even think of shifting - great when you're trying to pass a car in oncoming...

Reactions: MilTownSHO

·
2,254 Posts
There are a couple of gassers (myself and @sparkman) that have this issue. On mine, from 3rd to 4th, the trans will flare shift, but my RPMs will go anywhere from +500 to +1000 RPMs. Had it in at the dealership and they said that they could not replicate. Have been working with GM Customer Care, but unfortunately, when it happens, I cannot always take it straight to the dealership, leave the car on, and let them take a look at it. My commute to work is 120 miles, round trip, I leave at 5:45am and usually don't get home till around 6:00 - 7:00pm. So I'm kinda in a bind when it comes to getting it in to the dealership.
Mine still does it. Usually when it's cold and sometimes (but rare) when it's warmed up.

I've driven two other gasser Cruze's on the lot that have the same issue, but worse. The '13 LTZ I drove for a week did it all the time, and the '15 I drove last night (long story) did it as well.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gently guiding this back on topic - this thread is specifically for discussion of the diesel transmission, as it is unique. Anyway, I am trying to get to changing the fluid this weekend if everything comes in and we'll see if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Gently guiding this back on topic - this thread is specifically for discussion of the diesel transmission, as it is unique. Anyway, I am trying to get to changing the fluid this weekend if everything comes in and we'll see if that makes a difference.
I understand that, I was just letting you know that this just isn't a diesel issue.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Keep us up to date if this fluid change corrects your issue, will you just drop pan and change once or 3 times like you did before as I recall. I haven't decided yet, but I am thinking every 50k with my driving should be often enough. I assume this transmission would be expensive to rebuild. I know 50k for you is maybe not even 12 months. For me 50K is maybe every 30 months or so. Clean fluid I am guessing is important.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Everything I've been able to find regarding this problem on this Aisin transmission (which is installed in many other vehicles) points to a valve body problem; specifically a weak solenoid or two, and not anything to do with the planetaries and clutches. In other words, at worst, a replacement valve body should solve the problem, without need for replacing the whole unit. But, I'm hoping a few drain-and-fills will at least improve the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep us up to date if this fluid change corrects your issue, will you just drop pan and change once or 3 times like you did before as I recall. I haven't decided yet, but I am thinking every 50k with my driving should be often enough. I assume this transmission would be expensive to rebuild. I know 50k for you is maybe not even 12 months. For me 50K is maybe every 30 months or so. Clean fluid I am guessing is important.
I plan on doing it the same way as before with the 3 changes. I should have the fluid by Friday and I will report back after a few days to let everybody know if it clears anything up.

I'm a bit of a pioneer here. It seems like my experience may point to changing fluid every 30K (as others have suggested) would be a better idea than waiting 124K to change it the first time. :)

Reactions: KpaxFAQ
1 - 20 of 43 Posts