Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm heading down a road I always travel on and it's raining. I'm in the right lane and the cars in front of me start panic braking and I hit a bad spot of water. In short, I lose all braking capability (the ABS was screaming and I'm just gliding along not slowing down) and in a split second I made the decision to bail the road and hop into the side road ditch (going like 20 mph), which is narrowly elevated about 7 feet below the pavement. Long story short, no one was hurt, and no property damaged, although it could have been a LOT worse. I flagged down a tow truck that said he might be able to pull it out, worried about his own truck getting stuck. So I decided to pull it out myself by backing up at an angle towards the pavement. Thankfully I managed to get out on my own without any damage to the car save for the little black plastic guard at the very bottom of the car became partially unhinged, which was an easy fix. As soon as I got home, I checked the underside for any damages after cleaning a lot of dirt and grass. I couldn't find anything out of place, but I'm not all that literate on car mechanics. I drove the Cruze back home a few miles away and it drove normally from what I could tell. Should I be worried about anything? Is there something I should be checking?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Could always take it in for a free alignment check (most tire shops offer it these days, check your local listings). If any suspension parts got messed up, they would tell you first.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
I've done the same in another car (slid off the road in the snow when 2 cars in front of me spun out and crashed).

As long as there's no body damage, I doubt the car is hurt. I knocked off a piece of trim on the rocker panel, but otherwise climbed out of that thing. I was impressed...the car was sitting at almost a 35 degree angle.

Let go of the steering wheel on a straight road and make sure it tracks straight...otherwise, I doubt you knocked anything important loose.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife banged up our 04 Cavalier to avoid a so-called accident doing $2,700.00 worth of damage to it. I and my insurance agent said, don't do that, culprit would have been ticketed and his insurance would have had to pay for the damage. This was in a parking lot with those many concrete pillars with a please drive slowly sign on it. She ran into that. Store had closed circuit TV, but wasn't working. Said the guy in an old pickup was driving restlessly. But no proof of that. and no plate number.

Think she would have learned something from her boss, tried to avoid hitting a deer in a brand new SUV, ended up rolling over three times totally it and spending a month in a hospital.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the input guys. It seems like all is smooth sailing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts