Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Cruze LTZ. I have noticed for the past few months every so often there is a drip of oil on the driveway about 2 inches in diameter. Anyways I looked under it with a flash light and I can see some oil has spread. I took it in to get looked at and they said that it was a ‘slow seep from the oil pan gasket’. However, they did not advise getting it repaired, just keep an eye on the oil level.

Is this something that I should be worried about, is this something that could turn bad really fast? Or is this the type of thing that will take years before it is an issue? Also anyone know approximately how much it would cost to get this fixed (they charge $100 per hour)?

Thanks for your time and advice it is greatly appreciated!

Jesse

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
If you are still under the 5/100k powertrain warranty, this repair is covered by GM.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called GM customer service to see if the 5 year warranty will cover this. They are unsure and told me to call the dealer. The car only has about 38,000 miles on it. They did tell me that the oil pan itself is covered, so I am crossing my fingers. I am going to call both dealerships in town tomorrow (when they are open).

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd suggest checking the PCV system. When the valve in the intake goes, it causes the engine to overpressure and it will cause leaks from various seals.

I don't think you'll notice symptoms until the pressure ruptures the disk in the valve cover.

·
17,479 Posts
I'd suggest checking the PCV system. When the valve in the intake goes, it causes the engine to overpressure and it will cause leaks from various seals.

I don't think you'll notice symptoms until the pressure ruptures the disk in the valve cover.
The check valve in the intake manifold is the first thing to look for.

If you remove the corrugated hose to the top of the intake manifold, you should see this orange dot inside if it's still among the living.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...011-2016-cruze-1-4l-pcv-system-explained.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would this be an expensive repair, if it has something to do with the pcv system?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have a similar issue. 2013 2LT RS. I did call my dealer and they said gaskets are covered. Would they be smart enough to check the intake, or would they just change the gasket on the oil pan and call it a day?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two GM dealers in my town. The first one I took it to, I was not impressed they did not even look and see if it was covered under warranty. They just told me to top it off every so often and not worry about it. My 5 year warranty is up in February, so I need to get this fixed sooner than later.

The second dealer that I took it to, said to me that it is extremely rare for the oil pan gaskets to go on these cars. He did mention the PCV system (luckily because of this thread I knew what he was talking about). I am still awaiting for results. He also mentioned something about the turbo, and how that would not be covered under warranty.

So it is very well possible they will just put a new gasket on and call it a day, if you do not mention the PCV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am going to check into what jblackburn said, which is pretty much what xtremerevolution wrote up here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...4-pcv-valve-cover-intake-manifold-issues.html
My warranty is up in April of next year. I cleaned my oil pan during my last oil change and will check within the next few days if oil is still seeping by the gasket (will be for sure). Then plan on visiting dealer. I would have thought the turbo would be covered.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
He also mentioned something about the turbo, and how that would not be covered under warranty.
I have no idea what he's talking about. Unless you did something like use the wrong motor oil, most anything to do with the turbo would be covered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update, they put in some oil dye and cleaned up where the oil had spread underneath. They told me to drive about 300km and then bring it back in.

Here is the exact thing they wrote up;
"Oil stains found around pan area as well as transmission mount. John inspected. Washed areas and added oil dye to be sure of a correct diag of leaking component".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing that I find can be tricky when it comes to the dealership (especially for the 5 year Powertrain Component warranty), what is and is not under warranty. The dealer wants to tell me that a lot of stuff is not covered. This is odd to me since don't they make the same amount of money regardless? Luckily I still have my original GM warranty booklet. It says the following for the Engine Coverage;

"Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming."

Also note how the turbo is in that list (as ChevyGuy already said). So if they give me any trouble I am pulling out that book. Also thanks jblackburn, for reminding me of the five year warranty in the first place.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The dealer wants to tell me that a lot of stuff is not covered. This is odd to me since don't they make the same amount of money regardless?
Nope. GM gets a reduced "shop rate". And if it is covered, a crooked dealer could charge you and GM.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a question of curiosity is this the transmission? I believe it was dripping from here, but ever since they cleaned it, it has not dripped at all. I currently have paper towels under it to see what color the liquid is and where it is coming from. Before it was cleaned this area was covered. I am staring to wonder if it could have been transmission fluid, but I do not want to jump to any conclusions.

Transmission?
Auto part Vehicle Car

·
17,479 Posts
Just a question of curiosity is this the transmission? I believe it was dripping from here, but ever since they cleaned it, it has not dripped at all. I currently have paper towels under it to see what color the liquid is and where it is coming from. Before it was cleaned this area was covered. I am staring to wonder if it could have been transmission fluid, but I do not want to jump to any conclusions.

Transmission?
View attachment 242850
Yup, that's the trans.

Oil from the top (most notably from the throttle body area - PCV issues) or oil cooler leak - can leak down on top of the transmission and come down the sides of it. If there is oil on top of the transmission right under the throttle body, that's pretty much a sure sign that the aforementioned check valve in the intake manifold is gone.

Transmissions themselves usually don't leak in these cars except at the cooler lines. There have been occasional axle seal and gasket leaks where the two halves of the case meet, but they're rarer. To complicate diagnoses, the fluid is usually quite dark brown due to the factory fluid having rust inhibitors or something in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took a picture from the top and there is oil residue in this area. So it is really starting to sound like PCV issues (as you mentioned from the start).

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd check the oil filter cap - make sure it's not leaking from there. By chance, when was the last oil change? I'd want to rule out a sloppy oil change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had an oil change in April and another one just last week. I was wondering that as well if it was a sloppy oil change.

On my Mustang earlier this year oil started to pour out of the sides of the oil filter (which is on the bottom). Long story short, they did not remove the old filter gasket, and essentially there was a double gasket.

I always get my oil changed at the dealership as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I took mine in about a month after I got her (she had 32k when I purchased). Saw Oil and Coolant leak. Both covered under warranty no questions asked. Even got a loaner for the 2 days.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts