Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Cruze Eco, automatic transmission

I've had my Cruze for about six months. Had a lot of transmission issues for the first few months. Driving was really jerky and had almost no torque. Transmission began smoothing out at about 5,000 miles but I still had a lot of problems getting any power to it. Accelerating from a stop, making any turns, or trying to change lanes on a busy highway was extremely dangerous. I'd practically stand on the gas but the car wouldn't do anything. A few weeks ago as as test, I turned off the traction control, and immediately it became much more responsive, certainly not a sports car but at least accelerating at a normal rate and handling like a typical compact car. (I'm only driving in dry or rainy weather -- no snow or ice.)

Has anyone else seen these kinds of performance problems when the traction control is on? I don't mind turning it off every time I start my car, but it seems ridiculous that I should have to do that just to be able to drive my car normally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The traction control feature controls throttle (as well as other stuff) to help to stop the wheels from spinning. It uses wheel speed sensors to do so. It sounds like there is a bad wheel speed sensor or something causing the car's CPU to think one or both of the tires are spinning and cutting back the throttle IMO. I'd have the dealer go for a ride with you to show them what's happening so they can better diagnose the problem. Hope this helps. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I've had the TC cut torque on mine, but only when the wheels were spinning quite a bit in rain/snow. It'll still let me chirp the tires from a hard start. Mine's a manual, though.

Sounds like an issue. I'd bring it up to a dealer. Like another poster says, demonstrate the difference with TC on and off. If you can, map out a short route around the dealer and drive it before your visit. Then you know how the car does on those roads, and can more effectively show the service writer what is happening.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With that kind of drag from your traction control, surprised you weren't see flames come off your brake pads and rotor. What about your steering wheel pulling to one side of the other?

I don't get ABS or traction control, to work have to have uneven traction surfaces on the road, mother nature doesn't do that here with an icy rain. Traction control is exactly the opposite of ABS, ABS pulses a wheel if turning faster, traction does the same thing if that wheel is rotating slower, practically nothing added with hardware, practically all software, now stored in flashram that is easily corrupted. Hard to say what your problem is, but that added drag is apparently driving your AT crazy, will downshift automatically dependent on engine loads, MAP sensor is key in this respect.

Government mandated now in all new vehicles, really doesn't replace knowing how to drive, but sure one **** of a maintenance expense, and a lot more headaches.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
2011 Cruze Eco, automatic transmission

I've had my Cruze for about six months. Had a lot of transmission issues for the first few months. Driving was really jerky and had almost no torque. Transmission began smoothing out at about 5,000 miles but I still had a lot of problems getting any power to it. Accelerating from a stop, making any turns, or trying to change lanes on a busy highway was extremely dangerous. I'd practically stand on the gas but the car wouldn't do anything. A few weeks ago as as test, I turned off the traction control, and immediately it became much more responsive, certainly not a sports car but at least accelerating at a normal rate and handling like a typical compact car. (I'm only driving in dry or rainy weather -- no snow or ice.)

Has anyone else seen these kinds of performance problems when the traction control is on? I don't mind turning it off every time I start my car, but it seems ridiculous that I should have to do that just to be able to drive my car normally.

tindog,
I would also suggest that you take your vehicle into your dealership. They are in the best position to diagnose your vehicle. I would like you to please keep me updated on the outcome of your visit. If you have any further questions please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.