Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I feel like my Cruze gets REALLY sluggish. I have been running the A/C fan speed on 2-3 but it's been a 100+ degrees EVERY freakin' day here where I live in So. Cal... so it's gotta be on to not die from heat exhaustion, and my car unfortunately does not get garaged or parked under a carport... she has to suffer in the heat/sun; no auto-start and my dad keeps jumping down my throat about mentioning that I want to add it b/c of my warranty... The place I found does not do any wiring-cutting and my warranty is up in March of 2014 (6 months)....

But I have noticed that on occasion too that it'll be running fine with the fan speed on 2... but I'll take my foot off the gas and I feel like I lose power (power isn't the word I'm looking for but I can't think of it) briefly, then goes back to being sluggish. For example, I was driving today, stopped at a red light, when it turned green I made a left turn and it felt like it wasn't picking up at all.

I haven't done the spark plug gapping yet, someone at my dads work is either a member on here or read about it on here and told him to do it to my car- but again, it's so hot my dad can't work on it because he doesn't have a garage either. But does that help or do I need to bring it to my local chevy dealer and see why it's doing this or could it just be the A/C being ran at higher speeds?

Thanks,
Lindsay

·
Registered
47 Posts
What trim (Ls, Lt, Eco)? AC drags on a motor definitely, then if you add a small degree of Turbo lag with high temp at the air intake could seem somewhat laggy. I've noticed the more used you get to a car the less snappy it feels. Plug gap is good to check for consistency, a lot of opinions and reading on here and other internet sources, but it would not suddently cause lag (over many miles to some degree) After gapped correctly (or slightly over spec) it may seem more snappy also, but I think the AC drag is what is making you feel lag.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
You have answered all of yer own questions ....
So jump right in and do that spark plug Gap check and adjustment !
A higher Octane Fuel could help also .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What trim (Ls, Lt, Eco)? AC drags on a motor definitely, then if you add a small degree of Turbo lag with high temp at the air intake could seem somewhat laggy. I've noticed the more used you get to a car the less snappy it feels. Plug gap is good to check for consistency, a lot of opinions and reading on here and other internet sources, but it would not suddently cause lag (over many miles to some degree) After gapped correctly (or slightly over spec) it may seem more snappy also, but I think the AC drag is what is making you feel lag.
Sorry the 1LT. So basically until it cools down and I don't have to run the A/C I'm screwed? I haven't gapped it yet, my dad wants to when he gets a chance

You have answered all of yer own questions ....
So jump right in and do that spark plug Gap check and adjustment !
I want to and my dad wants to do it but again, it's been so hot here... I think he needs to get the tools from my sister's house where all of his stuff is stored, but unless he can get the car in a cooler location he won't do it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What octane you putting in your cruze. Try 93 over 87.
With gas prices being outrageous and $4.00 for 87 it's a little too much for me to afford right now... especially being that I just got laid off 2 weeks ago. So. Cal gas prices dropped for about a minute then jumped right back up again.... otherwise, I'd love to!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the temp setting for the AC on full cold? if so, try flicking it one notch towards warm. Try turning off the AC just as the light turns green, then turn it back on again when you get up to the desired speed. When it feels like it's dragging when you take your foot off the gas - how fast are you going?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If its slight lag in town with the AC on then it is "normal". If the car lags in the same way with the AC off then other aspects are in play. Try turning the AC off (button and fan) Before coming to a stop. If car still feels like a dog upon continued driving with no AC on then other (fuel ect) aspects may be in play. Every 4cyl I've owned has had very noticeable to lag with the AC on in town, my pickups on the otherhand overcome that with displscement.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
You can regap the spark plugs in a parking lot. It's that easy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the temp setting for the AC on full cold? if so, try flicking it one notch towards warm. Try turning off the AC just as the light turns green, then turn it back on again when you get up to the desired speed. When it feels like it's dragging when you take your foot off the gas - how fast are you going?
Yes I usually have it at the fullest cold setting; I will try this if I can manage to get up to speed quick enough- again it's been over 100 degrees here; it's almost 8pm my time and it's still 90 degrees out.... this weather is killing me! Today when I made the left turn I had just started from the traffic light that had just turned green- was previously stopped for a minute or two. Other times, I never really paid attention to be honest.

If its slight lag in town with the AC on then it is "normal". If the car lags in the same way with the AC off then other aspects are in play. Try turning the AC off (button and fan) Before coming to a stop. If car still feels like a dog upon continued driving with no AC on then other (fuel ect) aspects may be in play. Every 4cyl I've owned has had very noticeable to lag with the AC on in town, my pickups on the otherhand overcome that with displscement.
Believe me, I'd prefer to shut the A/C off so I don't burn through gas 'cause I have to crank it for a bit to cool the car down but unfortunately, I do not have that luxury right now until this weather cools down.... when it's 90 degrees at night time- the days are unbearable in a car that sits out, uncovered all day/everyday.
You can regap the spark plugs in a parking lot. It's that easy.
I have to find some tim when it's cooler to do it and my dad might have to find the tools first- he wants to do it, I didn't know anything about it until he told me to research it.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
If you went from running 91 to 87 that could be your issue right there. As for whether or not to run 91, it might be expensive compared to 87, but the compromise on money gives you a engine running on it's manufacture-recommended octane which leads to better/smoother power, along with better gas mileage in most cases. Now the raise in MPG's is only 2-3, but those add up.

Also, I would recommend getting tint installed. Being that you live in SoCal, if you happen to live in L.A. you can get away with enough tint to make a noticeable difference with the inside temp of your car, especially since you sit out in the open. Should only cost you $140 for a good quality job, and more if you want to spring for ceramic coated 3M.

How many miles are on your Cruze?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you went from running 91 to 87 that could be your issue right there. As for whether or not to run 91, it might be expensive compared to 87, but the compromise on money gives you a engine running on it's manufacture-recommended octane which leads to better/smoother power, along with better gas mileage in most cases. Now the raise in MPG's is only 2-3, but those add up.

Also, I would recommend getting tint installed. Being that you live in SoCal, if you happen to live in L.A. you can get away with enough tint to make a noticeable difference with the inside temp of your car, especially since you sit out in the open. Should only cost you $140 for a good quality job, and more if you want to spring for ceramic coated 3M.

How many miles are on your Cruze?
I never said I went from 91-87, someone asked which gas I used... I can't afford to put 91 in without a job... gas is too $$ for the $0.60+ difference right now.

I have about 11,700 miles on my car, it's a 2011 1LT. Ugh! I want to tint my windows but my dad keeps arguing with me (former mechanic) that the windows have that temper-glass whatever that tints the windows when exposed to the sun long enough... unless I'm losing it, I've only seen it do it once since I've had the car... most places down here in the I.E. offer pretty decent rates for tinting (again, when I get a job again and decide to do it). My dad also said that it doesn't actually help minimize the temperature in the car if it's sitting out anyway.

I don't know a lot about window tinting so I'm not sure if that's true or not... but that's what he keeps telling me; same with putting auto-start in it (non-wire cutting) to get the car cooler before I get in so I'm not blasting the A/C.

What's a ceramic coated 3M?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
Gap your spark plugs and use at least 89 octane or your car will drive like poo in the heat. Simple as that.

It's knocking away because it's so hot outside, and the engine is trying to save itself from being damaged by pre-ignition.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gap your spark plugs and use at least 89 octane or your car will drive like poo in the heat. Simple as that.

It's knocking away because it's so hot outside, and the engine is trying to save itself from being damaged by pre-ignition.
I will talk to my dad about trying to do it this weekend if possible, depending on the weather.

If you can't get tint would anyone reccomend the all windows down module? I also say at least get 89. Aren't you glad you don't have black leather seats right about now?
What do you mean by your comment about the tinting? I purposely didn't get black leather seats- had them in another car & hated them... Loved the car though. The black does happen to get very hot though...

·
10,711 Posts
Yeah, thats what I mean by that comment. I got a car with black leather seats in the middle of Texas summer with the intent of shipping it back to VA. 2nd day of ownership it got remote start and tint installed. My next 2 cars had tan leather and interior for that reason. Still saving up for tint on my Cruze but I find shade to park it in wherever I go even if it's a hike.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, thats what I mean by that comment. I got a car with black leather seats in the middle of Texas summer with the intent of shipping it back to VA. 2nd day of ownership it got remote start and tint installed. My next 2 cars had tan leather and interior for that reason. Still saving up for tint on my Cruze but I find shade to park it in wherever I go even if it's a hike.
If the remote start wasn't factory (I'm assuming no), did it void your warranty? You have shade by you? They put tiny little trees where I am (partially desert) so if I find shade it's like hitting the lotto! So tinting doesn't mess up whatever the supposed built-in tinting thing is?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Do you do anything to try and keep the heat out of the car when parked?

Any sort of window cover or reflective sheeting inside or outside the windows will keep the temperature down a bit, and a reduction of even a handful of F's (or C's) can make a big difference in how hard the A/C has to work.

And if your father tries to tell you it won't do anything, ignore him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you do anything to try and keep the heat out of the car when parked?

Any sort of window cover or reflective sheeting inside or outside the windows will keep the temperature down a bit, and a reduction of even a handful of F's (or C's) can make a big difference in how hard the A/C has to work.

And if your father tries to tell you it won't do anything, ignore him.
Lol it's the mechanic in my dad- I think the real theory though is that he'd rather me save my $$$$. I have a sun visor for the front windshield that I put him even for 10 mins if I need to.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.