Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
10,711 Posts
It all depends on the place that installed it and where you were. Texas dealers gave me the runaround on a know fuel pump issue that I had the TSB printout from Ford in hand. When I finally got the car to VA weeks later they was happy to fix it and a few other things. I even got keys cut free and they looked up my door lock code(Texas eanted to chage 1 hr labor for). The Subaru in my sig had catastrophic issues just after the warrenty went. Remote start only made one non warranty issue bigger than it was. I had a fried computer and they wanted me to tow the car back to Best Buy to verify it wasn't the alarm that wouldn't let the car start.

I moved back to cleveland so shade is not hard to find. Our seasons are Winter, feels like winter, I think it's summer, and winter is comming.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
I didn't say that you did run 91 in that past, only said "IF you did". Sorry for the mix-up with that. On the other hand Blackburn hit the nail on the head, which is why we keep suggesting the higher octane if you can somehow manage to get it; although in your situation it seems like thats definitely not an option.

As for the "self-tinting" windows, I have absolutely no idea what your dad is talking about, but if you've owned the car since 2010-2011 and you've only seen it do it once, its safe to say that although it might have that feature, its completely useless. For the rolling all windows down feature, it could help a bit to let out that pocket of super hot air sitting in the car; aside from that it wont do much, but for only ~15 bucks it might help getting in the car on start up.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Bump ..I think I runned over a bump ..atleast he does not have a handle like CoB !
Errr ur buddy smurf ---​Dang Dipped Cruzen !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It all depends on the place that installed it and where you were. Texas dealers gave me the runaround on a know fuel pump issue that I had the TSB printout from Ford in hand. When I finally got the car to VA weeks later they was happy to fix it and a few other things. I even got keys cut free and they looked up my door lock code(Texas eanted to chage 1 hr labor for). The Subaru in my sig had catastrophic issues just after the warrenty went. Remote start only made one non warranty issue bigger than it was. I had a fried computer and they wanted me to tow the car back to Best Buy to verify it wasn't the alarm that wouldn't let the car start.

I moved back to cleveland so shade is not hard to find. Our seasons are Winter, feels like winter, I think it's summer, and winter is comming.
So the remote start really didn't cause any problems, the car previously had problems? Lucky... I'll trade you for those seasons. We have Summer, no really it's Summer now, partial Winter, Spring with a split-personality of Summer.
Quick question, who makes the car payment? Answers real quick on who shouldn't be ignored. Sun visors help a lot, I have gray ones to put in the front a mesh ones on back and rear sides and I know my 16 month old appreciates it
You don't have to jump down my dad's throat, partially it's a financial thing he's worried about, and he doesn't want me to lose my warranty on the car if I install the remote-start. The thing with window tinting that he said was that it won't help reduce the heat in the car.

I have a sun visor, it lives in my windshield when I'm not driving the car.
I also 2nd the visor and you have the small pocket on the passenger side of the console to store it if you aren't already using it.
I didn't say that you did run 91 in that past, only said "IF you did". Sorry for the mix-up with that. On the other hand Blackburn hit the nail on the head, which is why we keep suggesting the higher octane if you can somehow manage to get it; although in your situation it seems like thats definitely not an option.

As for the "self-tinting" windows, I have absolutely no idea what your dad is talking about, but if you've owned the car since 2010-2011 and you've only seen it do it once, its safe to say that although it might have that feature, its completely useless. For the rolling all windows down feature, it could help a bit to let out that pocket of super hot air sitting in the car; aside from that it wont do much, but for only ~15 bucks it might help getting in the car on start up.
I would love to put better gas in it... CA sucks. :/ I don't know what my dad is talking about regarding the self-tinting window either and I can't remember if my mechanic at the dealership told me the same. I actually think he told me that it if I go to a good company for the auto-start it shouldn't void the warranty though, now that I think about it.

Side pocket on the passenger side console? Maybe I should investigate further in my car... and "$15 bucks might help getting in the car at start up"- sorry, what does that mean?

LOL rolling the windows down helps slightly but not in this heat.... did I mention I hate Summer in CA?

Bump ..I think I runned over a bump ..atleast he does not have a handle like CoB !
Errr ur buddy smurf ---​Dang Dipped Cruzen !
HUH? LOL

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,785 Posts
I would love to put better gas in it... CA sucks. :/
Think of it this way. For $2 more per tank (89 is generally 10-25 cents more per gallon), you get a better running car, will use LESS fuel (more MPG), and probably come out about even in the cost of fuel vs miles travelled. In city driving, especially when hot, my Cruze tends to get significantly lower MPG running 87 octane.

The plug gaps will only help matters even more - they run terrible from the factory.

Remove the intake resonator as well for better throttle response. There's something in the how-to section.

Window tint doesn't sound like something you need to be thinking about right now if you've got $flow issues. Just run the AC and roll the windows down for a minute or so to get the hot air out.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
You can regap the spark plugs in a parking lot. It's that easy.
Even going real slow and careful - it should not take more than 20 to 30 minutes to remove the plugs / re gap / reinstall the plugs. He won't even get his hands dirty. The Cruze is one of the easiest cars to change spark plugs on. I did this in 85 to 90 degree heat.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
The thing with window tinting that he said was that it won't help reduce the heat in the car.
Tinting does a lot in terms of reducing the heat in the car, especially if you have a front windshield screen to help prevent heat getting in through the one window you're not allowed to tint. If you want more proof of it, there are a couple of SoCal/LA based Cruzers that can personally attest to tint helping with the heat.

I would love to put better gas in it... CA sucks. :/ I don't know what my dad is talking about regarding the self-tinting window either and I can't remember if my mechanic at the dealership told me the same. I actually think he told me that it if I go to a good company for the auto-start it shouldn't void the warranty though, now that I think about it.

Side pocket on the passenger side console? Maybe I should investigate further in my car... and "$15 bucks might help getting in the car at start up"- sorry, what does that mean?

LOL rolling the windows down helps slightly but not in this heat.... did I mention I hate Summer in CA?
$15 buys you a little receiver that plugs into your OBDII port that lets you roll all your windows down when you unlock your car. Which wont do much, but it can help alleviate some of the initial heat wave of death that you usually get when entering your car after sitting for a while.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
I 'll Take a California sucks summer and trade you a Chicago sucks Winter for it ..
I see in the news that the Yosemite Rim Fire is being contained Who ahh .
Take it slow Magoo3 . Patience Man you'll Get it together !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Think of it this way. For $2 more per tank (89 is generally 10-25 cents more per gallon), you get a better running car, will use LESS fuel (more MPG), and probably come out about even in the cost of fuel vs miles travelled. In city driving, especially when hot, my Cruze tends to get significantly lower MPG running 87 octane.

The plug gaps will only help matters even more - they run terrible from the factory.

Remove the intake resonator as well for better throttle response. There's something in the how-to section.

Window tint doesn't sound like something you need to be thinking about right now if you've got $flow issues. Just run the AC and roll the windows down for a minute or so to get the hot air out.
Intake resonator? I'm sure my dad knows what that is but I have no clue.... sorry (Can I play dumb girl card? My father never taught me about all the terms of cars and if he did, it was many years ago and I forgot!). Better gas fuel when I can afford it and don't owe my mom for money! :mellow:

Even going real slow and careful - it should not take more than 20 to 30 minutes to remove the plugs / re gap / reinstall the plugs. He won't even get his hands dirty. The Cruze is one of the easiest cars to change spark plugs on. I did this in 85 to 90 degree heat.
Was your car parked in a garage first or out in the heat? Like I've said though, my dad isn't against doing it- it's a matter of the engine being cool enough for him to work on it... In this heat, I don't think it'd be cool enough to do. He's the one who wants to do it.

Car Vehicle Auto part Odometer

Tinting does a lot in terms of reducing the heat in the car, especially if you have a front windshield screen to help prevent heat getting in through the one window you're not allowed to tint. If you want more proof of it, there are a couple of SoCal/LA based Cruzers that can personally attest to tint helping with the heat.

$15 buys you a little receiver that plugs into your OBDII port that lets you roll all your windows down when you unlock your car. Which wont do much, but it can help alleviate some of the initial heat wave of death that you usually get when entering your car after sitting for a while.
Tinted windows or auto-start? What do you think is better?
I 'll Take a California sucks summer and trade you a Chicago sucks Winter for it ..
I see in the news that the Yosemite Rim Fire is being contained Who ahh .
Take it slow Magoo3 . Patience Man you'll Get it together !
****... not me! I get too overheated... I'd rather be cold!

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Intake resonator? I'm sure my dad knows what that is but I have no clue.... sorry (Can I play dumb girl card? My father never taught me about all the terms of cars and if he did, it was many years ago and I forgot!). Better gas fuel when I can afford it and don't owe my mom for money! :mellow:
Intake Resonator Bypass How-To

The Intake resonator bypass is a very fast/easy mod that is reversible, and wont void your warranty. The main benefit you get from it is increased throttle response instead of the lag you normally get between hitting the gas, and actually moving[not to be confused with waiting for the auto trans to shift]. Along with the Resonator bypass/delete it helps to replace your factory filter with a K&N drop in to use a less restrictive filter over the stock paper covered with a thick fiber mesh. I have a used one sitting in my garage with only 1-3,000 miles on it, and don't mind giving it away, it just sits in my stock air box collecting... nothing.

Was your car parked in a garage first or out in the heat? Like I've said though, my dad isn't against doing it- it's a matter of the engine being cool enough for him to work on it... In this heat, I don't think it'd be cool enough to do. He's the one who wants to do it.
Wait until sunset/night to do the re-gap. Seeing as the spark plugs are so deep in the engine, as long as the car sits for a decent 2-3 hours after running it should be cool enough to get away with. Heck, I re-gapped mine during a 90 degree day 30-45 minutes after driving my car and getting it to operating temp without needing gloves to prevent burns.

magoo3;412602Tinted windows or auto-start? What do you think is better? ****... not me! I get too overheated... I'd rather be cold![/QUOTE said:
Tinted windows by far, especially since you're hurting money wise. Look at it this way, $150 buys you life time warranty on tint for everything but your front windshield. From then on, it costs you nothing to keep the tint on the windows, which effectively help reduce heat inside your car.

If you went the auto-start route, you have to pay for the install, as well as new key fobs that actually have the auto-start button. I'm not so sure about the price of that, but I'll just substitute in the $150 from the tint to make things even. Now, each time you start your car how long does the AC have to run to cool it down a moderate amount? Lets say a decent 5 minutes to go from death to a cool/warm temperature inside your Cruze. Now even at the amazingly small amount of gas you would burn to run the AC at idle, you're still burning at worst, .1 gallons of gas, which comes out to 40 cents [if gas stays at $4.00 a gallon]. Now, lets subtract 1/2 the days of the year to come out to ~180 days at 40 cents a day. Which comes out to an additional $72.00 per year. Not that much right? But every additional cool-down start per day adds $72 per year, and thats still assuming that your car can cool down in 5 minutes, which if you're blasting it non-stop while driving, I doubt it will, and then you're still stuck burning excess gas per mile while driving to keep your ac running.

Short version, you need to burn gas to cool yourself down. With tint, it not only helps prevent your car heating up while parked, but it helps prevent it warming up while you're driving around. Which means less ac while driving around, if any at all, and leads to less gas wasted to run the ac, which helps direct more coolant to your engine to prevent power loss in the heat.

Sorry for the long paragraph, I would recommend tint vs. auto-start.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Intake Resonator Bypass How-To

The Intake resonator bypass is a very fast/easy mod that is reversible, and wont void your warranty. The main benefit you get from it is increased throttle response instead of the lag you normally get between hitting the gas, and actually moving[not to be confused with waiting for the auto trans to shift]. Along with the Resonator bypass/delete it helps to replace your factory filter with a K&N drop in to use a less restrictive filter over the stock paper covered with a thick fiber mesh. I have a used one sitting in my garage with only 1-3,000 miles on it, and don't mind giving it away, it just sits in my stock air box collecting... nothing.

Wait until sunset/night to do the re-gap. Seeing as the spark plugs are so deep in the engine, as long as the car sits for a decent 2-3 hours after running it should be cool enough to get away with. Heck, I re-gapped mine during a 90 degree day 30-45 minutes after driving my car and getting it to operating temp without needing gloves to prevent burns.

Tinted windows by far, especially since you're hurting money wise. Look at it this way, $150 buys you life time warranty on tint for everything but your front windshield. From then on, it costs you nothing to keep the tint on the windows, which effectively help reduce heat inside your car.

If you went the auto-start route, you have to pay for the install, as well as new key fobs that actually have the auto-start button. I'm not so sure about the price of that, but I'll just substitute in the $150 from the tint to make things even. Now, each time you start your car how long does the AC have to run to cool it down a moderate amount? Lets say a decent 5 minutes to go from death to a cool/warm temperature inside your Cruze. Now even at the amazingly small amount of gas you would burn to run the AC at idle, you're still burning at worst, .1 gallons of gas, which comes out to 40 cents [if gas stays at $4.00 a gallon]. Now, lets subtract 1/2 the days of the year to come out to ~180 days at 40 cents a day. Which comes out to an additional $72.00 per year. Not that much right? But every additional cool-down start per day adds $72 per year, and thats still assuming that your car can cool down in 5 minutes, which if you're blasting it non-stop while driving, I doubt it will, and then you're still stuck burning excess gas per mile while driving to keep your ac running.

Short version, you need to burn gas to cool yourself down. With tint, it not only helps prevent your car heating up while parked, but it helps prevent it warming up while you're driving around. Which means less ac while driving around, if any at all, and leads to less gas wasted to run the ac, which helps direct more coolant to your engine to prevent power loss in the heat.

Sorry for the long paragraph, I would recommend tint vs. auto-start.
Just for clarification, you're saying that add on an "extra $72.00/ year" to gas cost with the auto-start? Sorry I have like 5 things I'm thinking about at the same time and just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly. But I take it your a much bigger fan of the tinting LOL.

I'll try to bug my dad to do the gapping this weekend if he has time one of the nights. Does the intake res. help with MPGs also or just the lag/throttle?

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Gapping/resonator bypass is still worth it, and yes, your car idling longer every day means more gas burned per day, and therefore more money spent on gas per year. I am a big fan of the tint, because it works, and looks cool haha.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It takes 2 minutes. I'd say it's worth it.
Oh okay thanks!
Gapping/resonator bypass is still worth it, and yes, your car idling longer every day means more gas burned per day, and therefore more money spent on gas per year. I am a big fan of the tint, because it works, and looks cool haha.
Well yes, I agree with you- which is partially why I want to tint them... eventually my rims will be gunmetal or black too.... when I have $$$ and decide if I should do the plasti-dip... Need something to go with the carbon fiber bow ties!

·
10,711 Posts
...Just for clarification, you're saying that add on an "extra $72.00/ year" to gas cost with the auto-start?...
$72 is what you burn in gas "in a perfect world" on a perfect A/C system letting your car run to cool your car down. All of my cars took about 8-10 mins to reasonably cool down the interior in VA and almost the entire 25 minute period in Texas. The remote start on my Subaru has a feature where you can check the temps from the 2 way remote.

*@ 3000 miles I had my A/C system recharged by the dealership because it was too low on refrigerant to cool a car off in 89 degree F weather.

In short he is saying you are paying $150-$300 up front on a remote start alarm instal by a licensed facility and then $72 per year if you can magicly cool the car down in a matter of minutes. $72 is how much it cost to fill 2013 Escalade with 87 octane to the 1st click here in Cleveland. $72 is 40GB of iCloud memory and 7 months of Pandora One.

Event shorter*$150-$300+$72 for the 1st year*$72 annualy so long as the price of gas doesn't rise drasticly. Depending on the material used for tint, You may pay alomst the same price to tint but you aren't paying annualy for it.

Guys, How much does the 3M Tint cost in CA?

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Oh okay thanks!

Well yes, I agree with you- which is partially why I want to tint them... eventually my rims will be gunmetal or black too.... when I have $$$ and decide if I should do the plasti-dip... Need something to go with the carbon fiber bow ties!
Nice, if you're interested in the K&N drop in, feel free to contact me through PM about a meet. I'm moving down to LA in the next month or two and will be travelling down a couple times until then.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.