Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Guys, How much does the 3M Tint cost in CA?
Decent tint at a shop thats not trying to rob you of your money will only run you $200 max. A member here on the forum got limo tint all around[excluding front windshield] for $100 with lifetime replacement warranty out in Rancho if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if it's 3M exactly, but he's had it for at least 2 years now, its still in great shape, and keeps his Cruze nice and cool even in the sun. Within the first week of moving down to SoCal I'm going to do the same on my Cruze, cant stand having no tint, but I cant get away with it until I move.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
You have answered all of yer own questions ....
So jump right in and do that spark plug Gap check and adjustment !
A higher Octane Fuel could help also .
That will definitely help. I have a 2012 Eco and with the AC running, the car falls on it's face since it so highly geared. The tune would definitely help. I have it but had other problems with my car so ended up removing it. I am at the point of reinstalling just to make it thru the summer. Cincinnati gets the same way. Hot and humid and these cars "suffer from heat exhaustion" I had the same problem with my LS last year esp with the AC on. I disagree with all the statements of try using a lower setting when the AC is on(The AC compressor is either on or off) It is just a matter of how much it is really working. The heat and AC is killing the performance. So until it cools down a little we are how can I say this "screwed".

·
10,711 Posts
Decent tint at a shop thats not trying to rob you of your money will only run you $200 max. A member here on the forum got limo tint all around[excluding front windshield] for $100 with lifetime replacement warranty out in Rancho if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if it's 3M exactly, but he's had it for at least 2 years now, its still in great shape, and keeps his Cruze nice and cool even in the sun. Within the first week of moving down to SoCal I'm going to do the same on my Cruze, cant stand having no tint, but I cant get away with it until I move.
Our tint and front plate laws are also a sensitive issue with the cops. Most of my cars had out of town tags so I got away with tint and emissions. The place I had my tint done in Maryland charged $99 and had 5 year warrenty from fade, bubbles, and if you got 1 window busted out(because they took your radio or belongings you foolishly left on your seat).

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Living in Australia I know all about summer heat, it is the 6th day of spring in Sydney and temp is forcast at 84F today. I have a Nitrate silver Cruze D with black leather seats and quality window tint and the seats never get hot enough to cause a problem. Point out to your dad that the a/c doesn't have to work as hard with a good tint and therefore less petrol is used. I have been using window tint since the 1970's and really notice the difference when in a car without it. Most cars here also have a tint built into the top 6" of the windscreen which is dark at the top and fades away at the bottom. The tint is also good when someone behind you has bright lights.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
$72 is what you burn in gas "in a perfect world" on a perfect A/C system letting your car run to cool your car down. All of my cars took about 8-10 mins to reasonably cool down the interior in VA and almost the entire 25 minute period in Texas. The remote start on my Subaru has a feature where you can check the temps from the 2 way remote.

*@ 3000 miles I had my A/C system recharged by the dealership because it was too low on refrigerant to cool a car off in 89 degree F weather.

In short he is saying you are paying $150-$300 up front on a remote start alarm instal by a licensed facility and then $72 per year if you can magicly cool the car down in a matter of minutes. $72 is how much it cost to fill 2013 Escalade with 87 octane to the 1st click here in Cleveland. $72 is 40GB of iCloud memory and 7 months of Pandora One.

Event shorter*$150-$300+$72 for the 1st year*$72 annualy so long as the price of gas doesn't rise drasticly. Depending on the material used for tint, You may pay alomst the same price to tint but you aren't paying annualy for it.

Guys, How much does the 3M Tint cost in CA?
Gotcha! Thanks for explaining.
Nice, if you're interested in the K&N drop in, feel free to contact me through PM about a meet. I'm moving down to LA in the next month or two and will be travelling down a couple times until then.
Is that a good or bad thing that you're moving to LA? J/K... what parts of LA?
Yeah most places I see driving around town in Rancho are around $100.00... I live like 5 mins. from a place that has been advertising that.
That will definitely help. I have a 2012 Eco and with the AC running, the car falls on it's face since it so highly geared. The tune would definitely help. I have it but had other problems with my car so ended up removing it. I am at the point of reinstalling just to make it thru the summer. Cincinnati gets the same way. Hot and humid and these cars "suffer from heat exhaustion" I had the same problem with my LS last year esp with the AC on. I disagree with all the statements of try using a lower setting when the AC is on(The AC compressor is either on or off) It is just a matter of how much it is really working. The heat and AC is killing the performance. So until it cools down a little we are how can I say this "screwed".
Yeah I've noticed that they suffer, you'd think that with the "global warming" around the country that they'd vamp the systems or something... I know, wishful thinking! Why'd you trade-up to a newer one, if you don't mind my asking?

Our tint and front plate laws are also a sensitive issue with the cops. Most of my cars had out of town tags so I got away with tint and emissions. The place I had my tint done in Maryland charged $99 and had 5 year warrenty from fade, bubbles, and if you got 1 window busted out(because they took your radio or belongings you foolishly left on your seat).
Cops here are stupid... although, if it's legal tint % they can't do anything and they are probably wishing they had some form tint on their windows in this crappy heat wave of 3/4 months.

Living in Australia I know all about summer heat, it is the 6th day of spring in Sydney and temp is forcast at 84F today. I have a Nitrate silver Cruze D with black leather seats and quality window tint and the seats never get hot enough to cause a problem. Point out to your dad that the a/c doesn't have to work as hard with a good tint and therefore less petrol is used. I have been using window tint since the 1970's and really notice the difference when in a car without it. Most cars here also have a tint built into the top 6" of the windscreen which is dark at the top and fades away at the bottom. The tint is also good when someone behind you has bright lights.
Dang, I'd take 84F... I'm so tired of the 100F+... it's horrible. Good point on the bright lights, I didn't consider that factor.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,787 Posts
I disagree with all the statements of try using a lower setting when the AC is on(The AC compressor is either on or off) It is just a matter of how much it is really working.
Unlike cars in the past that ran the compressor full-tilt until the evaporator got cold and then cut it in/out with a clutch, the Cruze uses a variable-displacement compressor that runs only as hard as it needs to to keep the evaporator at temperature. This is selected with the fan speed. Run it full-tilt (speed 4 for a 2012) and the car acts like you're towing a boat. Run it on 1...ehh, not so noticable, but you don't get anything out of the vents either.

Again, higher octane/plug gaps helps IMMENSELY with this. The rest of the year, you'll probably be fine to run 87/89.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Is that a good or bad thing that you're moving to LA? J/K... what parts of LA?
Moving to Beaumont to go to RCC, room with another Cruzer, and a friend is helping me get a job to cover gas/food. Otherwise I'm going to be broke for a month or two until I find a job flipping burgers or something.

Cops here are stupid... although, if it's legal tint % they can't do anything and they are probably wishing they had some form tint on their windows in this crappy heat wave of 3/4 months.

Dang, I'd take 84F... I'm so tired of the 100F+... it's horrible. Good point on the bright lights, I didn't consider that factor.
There are so many limo tint cars running around in LA, as long as you roll your windows down so they don't see it, or at least keep your front ones down, they rarely pull you over. And yeah you can have a truck, or some idiot behind you with their brights on at night and it doesn't blind you with decent tint.

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
I would take 84 too only it is 6 days out from winter, last year we had one day where it hit 117F we haven't gut our summer heat yet!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Moving to Beaumont to go to RCC, room with another Cruzer, and a friend is helping me get a job to cover gas/food. Otherwise I'm going to be broke for a month or two until I find a job flipping burgers or something.
LOL You do know that Beaumont is not actually in LA, right? You are almost 2 hours (if not actually 2 hours) from LA? Depending on your drive down, you'll pass right through Rancho where I live. Okay, sorry... just had to throw that out there for a laugh. What are you gonna be taking at RCC and which RCC campus are you going to- are you closest to the Riverside one?

When does school start at RCC? Be prepared for a weather change. What made you move down this way- cost of living? (Just being nosey).

We have a shortage of street lights and people who pretend they have HID's by putting in blue Hi Beam bulbs. I been meaning to find out how much auto dimm mirror cost.
Nice... we have plenty of street lights and people who STILL through those lights in. I hate them!
I would take 84 too only it is 6 days out from winter, last year we had one day where it hit 117F we haven't gut our summer heat yet!
Ah... we get that hot here though too sometimes... I feel your pain! We barely even have a winter where I'm at... it sucks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
My dad finally was able to do the spark plug gapping yesterday since the weather cooled down for a week! I think he did them to .35 or 35? I haven't really driven it much since yesterday so I am not sure yet if there is a difference in the sluggishness but hopefully it'll help!

·
10,711 Posts
My dad finally was able to do the spark plug gapping yesterday since the weather cooled down for a week! I think he did them to .35 or 35? I haven't really driven it much since yesterday so I am not sure yet if there is a difference in the sluggishness but hopefully it'll help!
If the funds change we graduated to different plugs all together. Hopefully it helps even on 87 gas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
With gas prices being outrageous and $4.00 for 87 it's a little too much for me to afford right now... especially being that I just got laid off 2 weeks ago. So. Cal gas prices dropped for about a minute then jumped right back up again.... otherwise, I'd love to!
The low octane fuel and high temperatures are causing higher than normal engine loads and severe amount of heat soak. That intercooler basically soaks in all the heat from the radiator and A/C condenser (since it sits right in the middle), and forces hot air into the engine, which then causes knock, which then cuts back your timing, and consequently causes what you perceive as sluggishness.

You need a higher octane fuel. That is the single biggest difference. If you care at all about your car, move up to at least 89 octane. Seriously, the extra 15 cents a gallon will not make or break it. If it did, you wouldn't have bought a $18k car. At the level of timing retard that you are getting with that engine, this should significantly improve fuel economy as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks, i will see how much gas is when I go put some in and maybe try the 89, my parents are paying for my gas right now in lieu of helping babysit my niece and nephew but I don't want to break their bank either.

·
10,711 Posts
Yeah it all depends on where you fuel up as well. Some places have the octane gap large and some have them small. You also have to take the quality of gas and equipment underground as well as if you pump when the truck is filling the underground tanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.