Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Sluggish

Tags
sluggish
13K views 66 replies 14 participants last post by  magoo3 
#1 ·
Lately I feel like my Cruze gets REALLY sluggish. I have been running the A/C fan speed on 2-3 but it's been a 100+ degrees EVERY freakin' day here where I live in So. Cal... so it's gotta be on to not die from heat exhaustion, and my car unfortunately does not get garaged or parked under a carport... she has to suffer in the heat/sun; no auto-start and my dad keeps jumping down my throat about mentioning that I want to add it b/c of my warranty... The place I found does not do any wiring-cutting and my warranty is up in March of 2014 (6 months)....

But I have noticed that on occasion too that it'll be running fine with the fan speed on 2... but I'll take my foot off the gas and I feel like I lose power (power isn't the word I'm looking for but I can't think of it) briefly, then goes back to being sluggish. For example, I was driving today, stopped at a red light, when it turned green I made a left turn and it felt like it wasn't picking up at all.

I haven't done the spark plug gapping yet, someone at my dads work is either a member on here or read about it on here and told him to do it to my car- but again, it's so hot my dad can't work on it because he doesn't have a garage either. But does that help or do I need to bring it to my local chevy dealer and see why it's doing this or could it just be the A/C being ran at higher speeds?

Thanks,
Lindsay

See less See more
#2 ·
What trim (Ls, Lt, Eco)? AC drags on a motor definitely, then if you add a small degree of Turbo lag with high temp at the air intake could seem somewhat laggy. I've noticed the more used you get to a car the less snappy it feels. Plug gap is good to check for consistency, a lot of opinions and reading on here and other internet sources, but it would not suddently cause lag (over many miles to some degree) After gapped correctly (or slightly over spec) it may seem more snappy also, but I think the AC drag is what is making you feel lag.

#5 ·
Sorry the 1LT. So basically until it cools down and I don't have to run the A/C I'm screwed? I haven't gapped it yet, my dad wants to when he gets a chance

You have answered all of yer own questions ....
So jump right in and do that spark plug Gap check and adjustment !
I want to and my dad wants to do it but again, it's been so hot here... I think he needs to get the tools from my sister's house where all of his stuff is stored, but unless he can get the car in a cooler location he won't do it.

#3 · (Edited)
You have answered all of yer own questions ....
So jump right in and do that spark plug Gap check and adjustment !
A higher Octane Fuel could help also .

#42 ·
That will definitely help. I have a 2012 Eco and with the AC running, the car falls on it's face since it so highly geared. The tune would definitely help. I have it but had other problems with my car so ended up removing it. I am at the point of reinstalling just to make it thru the summer. Cincinnati gets the same way. Hot and humid and these cars "suffer from heat exhaustion" I had the same problem with my LS last year esp with the AC on. I disagree with all the statements of try using a lower setting when the AC is on(The AC compressor is either on or off) It is just a matter of how much it is really working. The heat and AC is killing the performance. So until it cools down a little we are how can I say this "screwed".

#6 ·
With gas prices being outrageous and $4.00 for 87 it's a little too much for me to afford right now... especially being that I just got laid off 2 weeks ago. So. Cal gas prices dropped for about a minute then jumped right back up again.... otherwise, I'd love to!

#7 ·
Is the temp setting for the AC on full cold? if so, try flicking it one notch towards warm. Try turning off the AC just as the light turns green, then turn it back on again when you get up to the desired speed. When it feels like it's dragging when you take your foot off the gas - how fast are you going?

#10 ·
Yes I usually have it at the fullest cold setting; I will try this if I can manage to get up to speed quick enough- again it's been over 100 degrees here; it's almost 8pm my time and it's still 90 degrees out.... this weather is killing me! Today when I made the left turn I had just started from the traffic light that had just turned green- was previously stopped for a minute or two. Other times, I never really paid attention to be honest.

If its slight lag in town with the AC on then it is "normal". If the car lags in the same way with the AC off then other aspects are in play. Try turning the AC off (button and fan) Before coming to a stop. If car still feels like a dog upon continued driving with no AC on then other (fuel ect) aspects may be in play. Every 4cyl I've owned has had very noticeable to lag with the AC on in town, my pickups on the otherhand overcome that with displscement.
Believe me, I'd prefer to shut the A/C off so I don't burn through gas 'cause I have to crank it for a bit to cool the car down but unfortunately, I do not have that luxury right now until this weather cools down.... when it's 90 degrees at night time- the days are unbearable in a car that sits out, uncovered all day/everyday.
You can regap the spark plugs in a parking lot. It's that easy.
I have to find some tim when it's cooler to do it and my dad might have to find the tools first- he wants to do it, I didn't know anything about it until he told me to research it.

#8 ·
If its slight lag in town with the AC on then it is "normal". If the car lags in the same way with the AC off then other aspects are in play. Try turning the AC off (button and fan) Before coming to a stop. If car still feels like a dog upon continued driving with no AC on then other (fuel ect) aspects may be in play. Every 4cyl I've owned has had very noticeable to lag with the AC on in town, my pickups on the otherhand overcome that with displscement.

#9 ·

#11 ·
If you went from running 91 to 87 that could be your issue right there. As for whether or not to run 91, it might be expensive compared to 87, but the compromise on money gives you a engine running on it's manufacture-recommended octane which leads to better/smoother power, along with better gas mileage in most cases. Now the raise in MPG's is only 2-3, but those add up.

Also, I would recommend getting tint installed. Being that you live in SoCal, if you happen to live in L.A. you can get away with enough tint to make a noticeable difference with the inside temp of your car, especially since you sit out in the open. Should only cost you $140 for a good quality job, and more if you want to spring for ceramic coated 3M.

How many miles are on your Cruze?

#12 ·
I never said I went from 91-87, someone asked which gas I used... I can't afford to put 91 in without a job... gas is too $$ for the $0.60+ difference right now.

I have about 11,700 miles on my car, it's a 2011 1LT. Ugh! I want to tint my windows but my dad keeps arguing with me (former mechanic) that the windows have that temper-glass whatever that tints the windows when exposed to the sun long enough... unless I'm losing it, I've only seen it do it once since I've had the car... most places down here in the I.E. offer pretty decent rates for tinting (again, when I get a job again and decide to do it). My dad also said that it doesn't actually help minimize the temperature in the car if it's sitting out anyway.

I don't know a lot about window tinting so I'm not sure if that's true or not... but that's what he keeps telling me; same with putting auto-start in it (non-wire cutting) to get the car cooler before I get in so I'm not blasting the A/C.

What's a ceramic coated 3M?

#16 ·
I will talk to my dad about trying to do it this weekend if possible, depending on the weather.

If you can't get tint would anyone reccomend the all windows down module? I also say at least get 89. Aren't you glad you don't have black leather seats right about now?
What do you mean by your comment about the tinting? I purposely didn't get black leather seats- had them in another car & hated them... Loved the car though. The black does happen to get very hot though...

#17 ·
Yeah, thats what I mean by that comment. I got a car with black leather seats in the middle of Texas summer with the intent of shipping it back to VA. 2nd day of ownership it got remote start and tint installed. My next 2 cars had tan leather and interior for that reason. Still saving up for tint on my Cruze but I find shade to park it in wherever I go even if it's a hike.

#18 ·
If the remote start wasn't factory (I'm assuming no), did it void your warranty? You have shade by you? They put tiny little trees where I am (partially desert) so if I find shade it's like hitting the lotto! So tinting doesn't mess up whatever the supposed built-in tinting thing is?

#19 ·
Do you do anything to try and keep the heat out of the car when parked?

Any sort of window cover or reflective sheeting inside or outside the windows will keep the temperature down a bit, and a reduction of even a handful of F's (or C's) can make a big difference in how hard the A/C has to work.

And if your father tries to tell you it won't do anything, ignore him.

#21 · (Edited)
It all depends on the place that installed it and where you were. Texas dealers gave me the runaround on a know fuel pump issue that I had the TSB printout from Ford in hand. When I finally got the car to VA weeks later they was happy to fix it and a few other things. I even got keys cut free and they looked up my door lock code(Texas eanted to chage 1 hr labor for). The Subaru in my sig had catastrophic issues just after the warrenty went. Remote start only made one non warranty issue bigger than it was. I had a fried computer and they wanted me to tow the car back to Best Buy to verify it wasn't the alarm that wouldn't let the car start.

I moved back to cleveland so shade is not hard to find. Our seasons are Winter, feels like winter, I think it's summer, and winter is comming.

#26 ·
So the remote start really didn't cause any problems, the car previously had problems? Lucky... I'll trade you for those seasons. We have Summer, no really it's Summer now, partial Winter, Spring with a split-personality of Summer.
Quick question, who makes the car payment? Answers real quick on who shouldn't be ignored. Sun visors help a lot, I have gray ones to put in the front a mesh ones on back and rear sides and I know my 16 month old appreciates it
You don't have to jump down my dad's throat, partially it's a financial thing he's worried about, and he doesn't want me to lose my warranty on the car if I install the remote-start. The thing with window tinting that he said was that it won't help reduce the heat in the car.

I have a sun visor, it lives in my windshield when I'm not driving the car.
I also 2nd the visor and you have the small pocket on the passenger side of the console to store it if you aren't already using it.
I didn't say that you did run 91 in that past, only said "IF you did". Sorry for the mix-up with that. On the other hand Blackburn hit the nail on the head, which is why we keep suggesting the higher octane if you can somehow manage to get it; although in your situation it seems like thats definitely not an option.

As for the "self-tinting" windows, I have absolutely no idea what your dad is talking about, but if you've owned the car since 2010-2011 and you've only seen it do it once, its safe to say that although it might have that feature, its completely useless. For the rolling all windows down feature, it could help a bit to let out that pocket of super hot air sitting in the car; aside from that it wont do much, but for only ~15 bucks it might help getting in the car on start up.
I would love to put better gas in it... CA sucks. :/ I don't know what my dad is talking about regarding the self-tinting window either and I can't remember if my mechanic at the dealership told me the same. I actually think he told me that it if I go to a good company for the auto-start it shouldn't void the warranty though, now that I think about it.

Side pocket on the passenger side console? Maybe I should investigate further in my car... and "$15 bucks might help getting in the car at start up"- sorry, what does that mean?

LOL rolling the windows down helps slightly but not in this heat.... did I mention I hate Summer in CA?

Bump ..I think I runned over a bump ..atleast he does not have a handle like CoB !
Errr ur buddy smurf ---​Dang Dipped Cruzen !
HUH? LOL

#24 ·
I didn't say that you did run 91 in that past, only said "IF you did". Sorry for the mix-up with that. On the other hand Blackburn hit the nail on the head, which is why we keep suggesting the higher octane if you can somehow manage to get it; although in your situation it seems like thats definitely not an option.

As for the "self-tinting" windows, I have absolutely no idea what your dad is talking about, but if you've owned the car since 2010-2011 and you've only seen it do it once, its safe to say that although it might have that feature, its completely useless. For the rolling all windows down feature, it could help a bit to let out that pocket of super hot air sitting in the car; aside from that it wont do much, but for only ~15 bucks it might help getting in the car on start up.

#25 ·
Bump ..I think I runned over a bump ..atleast he does not have a handle like CoB !
Errr ur buddy smurf ---​Dang Dipped Cruzen !

#27 ·
I would love to put better gas in it... CA sucks. :/
Think of it this way. For $2 more per tank (89 is generally 10-25 cents more per gallon), you get a better running car, will use LESS fuel (more MPG), and probably come out about even in the cost of fuel vs miles travelled. In city driving, especially when hot, my Cruze tends to get significantly lower MPG running 87 octane.

The plug gaps will only help matters even more - they run terrible from the factory.

Remove the intake resonator as well for better throttle response. There's something in the how-to section.

Window tint doesn't sound like something you need to be thinking about right now if you've got $flow issues. Just run the AC and roll the windows down for a minute or so to get the hot air out.

#31 ·
Intake resonator? I'm sure my dad knows what that is but I have no clue.... sorry (Can I play dumb girl card? My father never taught me about all the terms of cars and if he did, it was many years ago and I forgot!). Better gas fuel when I can afford it and don't owe my mom for money! :mellow:

Even going real slow and careful - it should not take more than 20 to 30 minutes to remove the plugs / re gap / reinstall the plugs. He won't even get his hands dirty. The Cruze is one of the easiest cars to change spark plugs on. I did this in 85 to 90 degree heat.
Was your car parked in a garage first or out in the heat? Like I've said though, my dad isn't against doing it- it's a matter of the engine being cool enough for him to work on it... In this heat, I don't think it'd be cool enough to do. He's the one who wants to do it.

Car Vehicle Auto part Odometer

Tinting does a lot in terms of reducing the heat in the car, especially if you have a front windshield screen to help prevent heat getting in through the one window you're not allowed to tint. If you want more proof of it, there are a couple of SoCal/LA based Cruzers that can personally attest to tint helping with the heat.

$15 buys you a little receiver that plugs into your OBDII port that lets you roll all your windows down when you unlock your car. Which wont do much, but it can help alleviate some of the initial heat wave of death that you usually get when entering your car after sitting for a while.
Tinted windows or auto-start? What do you think is better?
I 'll Take a California sucks summer and trade you a Chicago sucks Winter for it ..
I see in the news that the Yosemite Rim Fire is being contained Who ahh .
Take it slow Magoo3 . Patience Man you'll Get it together !
****... not me! I get too overheated... I'd rather be cold!

#28 ·
Even going real slow and careful - it should not take more than 20 to 30 minutes to remove the plugs / re gap / reinstall the plugs. He won't even get his hands dirty. The Cruze is one of the easiest cars to change spark plugs on. I did this in 85 to 90 degree heat.

#30 ·
I 'll Take a California sucks summer and trade you a Chicago sucks Winter for it ..
I see in the news that the Yosemite Rim Fire is being contained Who ahh .
Take it slow Magoo3 . Patience Man you'll Get it together !

#37 ·
Gapping/resonator bypass is still worth it, and yes, your car idling longer every day means more gas burned per day, and therefore more money spent on gas per year. I am a big fan of the tint, because it works, and looks cool haha.

#44 ·
Living in Australia I know all about summer heat, it is the 6th day of spring in Sydney and temp is forcast at 84F today. I have a Nitrate silver Cruze D with black leather seats and quality window tint and the seats never get hot enough to cause a problem. Point out to your dad that the a/c doesn't have to work as hard with a good tint and therefore less petrol is used. I have been using window tint since the 1970's and really notice the difference when in a car without it. Most cars here also have a tint built into the top 6" of the windscreen which is dark at the top and fades away at the bottom. The tint is also good when someone behind you has bright lights.

#46 · (Edited)
I disagree with all the statements of try using a lower setting when the AC is on(The AC compressor is either on or off) It is just a matter of how much it is really working.
Unlike cars in the past that ran the compressor full-tilt until the evaporator got cold and then cut it in/out with a clutch, the Cruze uses a variable-displacement compressor that runs only as hard as it needs to to keep the evaporator at temperature. This is selected with the fan speed. Run it full-tilt (speed 4 for a 2012) and the car acts like you're towing a boat. Run it on 1...ehh, not so noticable, but you don't get anything out of the vents either.

Again, higher octane/plug gaps helps IMMENSELY with this. The rest of the year, you'll probably be fine to run 87/89.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.