Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Eco and I recently have done the resonator delete and fixed my spark plug gap. I was enjoying the extra peppiness but I've been noticing at times the cruze is extra sluggish. It has been hot here and I have been using the a/c and I haven't determined that's the sole responsibility but what could be causing this? When it's acting better I love driving this car but when it's behaving like this it's quite frustrating.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone figured a way to remedy this? The difference in power is substantial! Would it be possible to run the a/c off of a different power source? As I'm typing this it sounds like a large amount of work and I doubt there is room to run a second battery or power source to handle it.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Switch to 89, 91, or 93 octane in the summer. There's a world of difference. Try one octane level boost at a time so you don't spend more money than needed.

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
It's a mechanical draw more than an electrical draw. When disengaged the a/c compressor pulley spins freely; then once the a/c is turned on the clutch on the compressor engages and the engine belt now turns the compressor which means more rotational mass to turn.

Edited*^

Sent from iPhone 4

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
It's a mechanical draw more than an electrical draw. When disengaged the compressor spins freely then once engaged the engine belt has more rotational mass to turn.

Sent from iPhone 4
I assume you meant the pulley spins freely, lol. The AC compressor clutch engages and starts turning the compressor when AC is needed.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
I assume you meant the pulley spins freely, lol. The AC compressor clutch engages and starts turning the compressor when AC is needed.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yes lol sry for being unclear

Sent from iPhone 4

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True. I was thinking there may be a mechanical draw creating the electrical current but that makes more sense. I only run 91 octane as well. It is the a/c I did a test drive of it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Some cars seem to be affected more from the A/C than others. My Cobalt surprisingly doesn't get affected much and the A/C works great. If only the front end was built as good as the A/C.

Sent from my brain

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hot weather = lower performance in any internal combustion engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Some cars seem to be affected more from the A/C than others. My Cobalt surprisingly doesn't get affected much and the A/C works great. If only the front end was built as good as the A/C.

Sent from my brain
You also have a 2.2 in the Cobalt. Bigger engine more hp = less draw on power

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wish GM had just taken my engine, made it DI, plopped it into the Cruze and called it a day. I'd rather have my 2.2L than that tiny turbo

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
So go buy another Cobalt.

The 1.4 is more fuel efficient, and that's a key selling point for these cars.

The load on the engine slows acceleration a bit, but in hot weather, turbocharged engines do experience heat soak and pull timing advance to keep from knocking as much. NA engines don't have this problem as much in the summer.

Higher octane fuel helps.

Turbos are a trade off for having instant power when you need it, but there are also a great many advantages to them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm not noticing a huge performance drop when I use the air conditioner, but then I bought an economy car. If I wanted a high performance car instead then I would have bought that. There was an idea floated many years ago about switching the 12 volt systems in cars to a 24 volt or higher voltage system. The advantage there is that more electrical power would be available to run things on the car, especially the air conditioner compressor. With that being electric and no longer being tied to the engine we would get better performance and mileage. The increased drag from a higher output alternator would not be that much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts